This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The reality of robot gigs

Avoided looking at the bank statement because getting paid to work on robots was too good to be true & I suspected I wasn't really getting paid the full amount. When it became time for the 1st major $1000 car maintenance, it was time for the bad news.

Sure enough, I was only being paid about 1/2 of the amount stated. Basically got 1/3 in Nov & Feb & only 1/2 after Feb. The money was less than break even for the last year & now there was $1000 in car maintenance. Time to start thinking more about web applications than robots.

In the new economy, something is better than nothing. If the guy doesn't have the money, he doesn't have the money. You don't complain about only getting 1/2, not knowing what you're really going to get, or reality not agreeing with word documents. But you do have to budget your time based on the need to pay rent.

13 years after the 1st dot com crash, it's all social network web application jobs out there. My generation avoided all that SOAP, Ruby, JSON, Python stuff, because those jobs completely vanished in 2001. They still make us queezy.

If you create a website to learn the latest buzzwords, who's ever going to use it? How would you ever gain experience with large numbers of actual user accounts on a large data center? It's not like writing a desktop program, where your own needs are enough to fully exercise the platform.

2nd on the popular skill requirements is iOS & MacOS development. This is just as strange as the resurgence in dot com requirements. Apple hasn't produced a new product since Steve Jobless. The iPad mini was something he worked on & that was the end of their stuff.

The Objective C & Cocoa languages are from the 1980's. We were still programming 6502 assembly language on TV monitors, in editors that lacked cut & paste, in those days. It's just as queezy to learn something that old & narrow as learning the modern fly by night web languages.

All you see in the real world is Android phones, but no-one pays for Android software & most app developers don't make enough to quit their day jobs.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
Cranky old fart
I can relate. I'm an old mainframe operating system level software developer. The stuff they have now is very uncomfortable. It's just event management and very compartmentalized. Very hard for an old mainframer to get used to.

Quick Reply