Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
Discussion

Indoor Night at NEAT, Sept.13,14 2013.

Indoor Night at NEAT

Cindy and I will be holding the Indoor Night at NEAT again this year at the Downsville high school gym. We have added another night of flying on Friday September 13th from 6pm-10pm, mainly for some friendly competition and some open flying. Bob Selman of BSD MICRO R/C, LLC http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/ will be running a micro pylon race with the rules posted below.

Saturday September 14th flying will be from 2pm-10pm. http://www.neatfair.org/ The event will feature some of the "Best in Micro" with state of the art micro models.

The event is open to individuals with models built from kits, or models built from their own designs. (No RTF's)

The format will be the same as previous years. We will have time slots for ultra slow models, and open flying for all types. Note, no open flying will be allowed during the pylon race on Friday. The race will start around 7pm. Open flying will resume when the competition is over.

We will also feature the popular 1/2 time show on Saturday that allows everyone around 5 minutes to showcase their latest creation for the crowd! (SKS Video should be on hand to film the event) You can purchase the wonderful video that SKS shot of last years event and see all of the beautiful models that were flown.

Models will not weigh more than two ounces, and will have a flight envelope that will allow them to fly safely in the high school gym.

AMA or Park Flyer insurance will be required!

Fee will be $20.00 payable at the registration table. All proceeds will go to the Downsville high school for their education programs.

Anyone interested in flying please e-mail me (Joe Malinchak) to register at joemal@echoes.net Include the models that you are planning on flying and the frequency's you will be using.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at the event!

Thanks, Joe.

NEAT Fair 2013 Indoor Pylon Racing Rules

1. The Model.
The minimum wing span shall be 8 inches. Profile fuselages are allowed. The maximum weight shall be 20 grams. The power system shall use a 6mm pager motor. The choice of radio equipment is up to the contestant. The battery is limited to a single Lithium Polymer cell. Any commercially available propeller is acceptable. Modifications are allowed.
Landing gear is optional.

2. The Race Course.
The pylons will be clearly visible markers. Pylon spacing will be determined by the venue. The start/finish line will be marked, and will be mid-way between the two pylons.

3. Race "Officials".
There shall be a starter, one judge for each pylon, and a lap counter for each contestant.

4. Flying a Heat.
The models shall be launched from a position so as to allow flight to proceed toward the # 1 pylon. A lap is complete when the model has rounded both pylons and has crossed the start/finish line. It shall be the responsibility of the pylon judge to note pylon cuts, and to loudly announce the cut to the lap counter. Heats shall be 5 laps.

5. Scoring.
Heats shall consist of no more than 4 models. A first place finish earns 4 points, 2'nd 3 points, 3'rd 2 points, and 4'th 1 point. If a model cuts a pylon, that lap shall not be counted. If that model cuts a second pylon, no points will be awarded for that heat. The sum of all points earned in each heat will be the pilot's score. If a model is unable to complete a heat, no points will be awarded. In the event of a final tie, a fly-off race will be flown. The determination of which contestants are involved in each heat will be decided at the meet, and will depend on the number of contestants. At least three rounds will be flown so that each contestant will have at least three races. If time permits, based on the number of contestants, more rounds may be flown.

6. General.
Safety, as always, is paramount. So fly safely. If, in the opinion of the event director, a model is deemed unsafe to persons or property, that model will be disqualified.

Note: Original rules by Henry Pasquet, modified by Bob Selman. Rev 1.0, 5/8/13
Last edited by Joe Malinchak; May 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2013, 06:03 AM
Time to start building! I just got a SA SE-5 kit in the mail!
May 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
Just some guy
I hope to make it Joe!
May 14, 2013, 01:24 AM
Dave,

It should be a great NEAT Fair this year. Cindy and I really hope you can make it out! I will be flying my new 1/72 scale A-10, a new dark blue version of my DH-8 plus a few more surprises.

Joe.
May 16, 2013, 07:12 AM
I thought I would show two pylon racers I have come up with so far.

The Micro Nemesis is 6mm DD using a 45mm prop from Estes. I use the Mini Vapor receiver and a 60 mah lipo cell. Control is motor, rudder and elevator.

The Swept Wing Racer uses the Mini Vapor gearbox/motor and a carbon MCF3222 prop. Mini Vapor receiver and FR 60 mah lipo cell. Control is motor, aileron and elevator.

I'm working on a 3rd design.

Bob
May 16, 2013, 02:52 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Very nice bob. And those Estes props look pretty sweet

-A
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Aug 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
The NEAT Fair indoor even is only a month away. It looks like it will be a wonderful event this year as many of the worlds best micro modelers will be attending again this year!

Friend Nick Leichty of Micro Flier Radio has sent me a few shots of his latest work. It is an 8 inch wingspan Mono wing Acrobat! It can do 3D using just actuators for control! http://microflierradio.com/

I will be bringing some of my new designs as well. I am hoping to have my 4.5 inch A-10 flying that uses two 10mm EDF's. I started a thread in the micro EDF section on the model.

Come and watch them fly!

Pilots, please post some of the aircraft that you will be flying.

Cindy and I are looking forward to seeing everyone at the event.

Joe.
Last edited by Joe Malinchak; Aug 12, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Aug 13, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joe:

I have not been building indoor models since I moved five years ago and no longer have a place to fly. I'm not showing up empty handed though! I dusted off and repaired my old scratch built version of the Plantraco Butterfly with watch gear drive. Maybe we need to establish a category for vintage indoor models now!

Ralph
Aug 14, 2013, 12:32 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Ralph,
Glad to hear you are going to make it to NEAT. It's shaping up to be a good year for visiting and catching up.

Gordon
Aug 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
I'll send AMA the app for the insurance rider for the indoor event.... Joe... I'll send you a copy as soon as I get it........
Aug 18, 2013, 11:36 PM
Carlos,

We really appreciate you sending in the app for the insurance rider! It should be a great event this year.

Thanks, Joe.
Aug 25, 2013, 08:52 PM
How high will it go?
Glad you added another night. I was almost going to skip the night fly on Sat to attend. I haven't missed one in 10 years. Now I can do both!
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
Sep 08, 2013, 05:06 PM
I was thinking of having a time slot or two for micro helicopter and quad time if anyone is interested. It would only be for true micro helicopters like the Nano CP X, mCP X and similar helicopters.

What do you guys think?

Joe.
Sep 18, 2013, 12:58 PM
I started a thread in the NEAT forum for pictures from the indoor. Please add some if you were there.
Sep 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cindy and I would like to thank everyone for making this years Indoor Night at NEAT a great success!

We would like to thank all of our wonderful sponsors of the event:

Bob Selman Designs for sponsoring the 6mm race. Bob and Gary Jones made up some beautiful awards for the race, and a Best Micro model award.

Lukes R/C, SKS Video, and RC Plane Wear for donating merchandise for the Mini Vapor race and Mini Vapor combat event.

The official 6mm Pylon race was held on Friday.

The winners were:
1- Joe Malinchak
2- Adam Woodworth
3-Matt Keennon

The official Mini Vapor race was held on Saturday
The winners were:

1- Adam Woodworth
2- Anthony Sole
3- James Bhasin

Mini Vapor Combat

winner Sam Johnson

Best Micro Model -Pilots choice

Martin Newell with his amazing 4.6 inch wingspan 8 channel P-51!

I have to say that the mini Vapor Combat was a beautiful site when all 22 or
so models were in the air with the streamers!

Paul Stamison shot some great video of the event. Thanks Paul!

NEAT INDOOR EVENT Video#3 (1 min 1 sec)
Last edited by Joe Malinchak; Sep 23, 2013 at 01:37 PM.