May 08, 2013, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Vintage RC Radio Repair And Reconditioning

Guys, just found out that Jayman is setting up shop to recondition/repair all of our vintage radios. I’ve have recorded 100+ flights on my Min-X and Testors galloping ghost systems that he rebuilt with no issues at all. He has also refurbished my Citizen-Ship to the dual Rand actuator setup and even install a voltage regulator in the transmitter to eliminate the centering issues when the batteries got low. I understand that Jay has acquired the necessary equipment to work on these old radios with much units coming from the old Orbit factory.

If you are into the vintage radios and want a working display or, like me fly the older radios in the period models give Jay a try. All of his work has been top notch and all of my radios have been trouble free. Remember 27 MHz is still a legal AMA frequency and with the invent of the cell phone, CB radios and such are things of the past.

Bob Harris
Last edited by BobHH; May 08, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2013, 05:46 PM
AMA 7224
Just in time, I have two Pro Lines,a Competition 3 and 6 I want switched to FM. Thanks!!
May 30, 2013, 03:27 PM
San Diego California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHH
Guys, just found out that Jayman is setting up shop to recondition/repair all of our vintage radios. Iíve have recorded 100+ flights on my Min-X and Testors galloping ghost systems that he rebuilt with no issues at all. He has also refurbished my Citizen-Ship to the dual Rand actuator setup and even install a voltage regulator in the transmitter to eliminate the centering issues when the batteries got low. I understand that Jay has acquired the necessary equipment to work on these old radios with much units coming from the old Orbit factory.

If you are into the vintage radios and want a working display or, like me fly the older radios in the period models give Jay a try. All of his work has been top notch and all of my radios have been trouble free. Remember 27 MHz is still a legal AMA frequency and with the invent of the cell phone, CB radios and such are things of the past.

Bob Harris
Hi Bob,
Does Jayman have his shop site?
Do you know URL ?
Thanks.
May 30, 2013, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
No website at this time just word of mouth. Here is his contact info:

Jay Mendoza
22801 Alturas Dr.
Mission Viejo California 92691
949 699 0439
[email protected] Jay Mendoza

Bob
May 30, 2013, 05:42 PM
San Diego California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHH
No website at this time just word of mouth. Here is his contact info:

Jay Mendoza
22801 Alturas Dr.
Mission Viejo California 92691
949 699 0439
[email protected] Jay Mendoza

Bob
Thank you Bob,
I will be searching more about vintage radios of RC too.
Jul 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
Does he sell parts as well or is he able to find parts because I need a rx for an old 80's jr max six channel
Jul 26, 2013, 03:27 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Mdailey,

Your radio is not exactly collectible so I'm gonna jump on a limb and assume it holds some kinda nostalgic reason for you to want to use it. Instead of trying to find a questionable old part why not join the retro-radio movement and update it to 2.4ghz.

Its what I did with my old 70's Futaba. The 2.4g transmit module is around $24 and 7ch receivers about the same. Old style feel and memorabilia with new style technology.

Mike
Jul 26, 2013, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Mdailey,

Its what I did with my old 70's Futaba. The 2.4g transmit module is around $24 and 7ch receivers about the same. Old style feel and memorabilia with new style technology.

Mike
Cool idea. Can you point to the 2.4ghz unit you used or a thread that shows how to build this up? I've got a couple old transmitters in a drawer somewhere.

thanks,
Jul 27, 2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoflyer
Cool idea. Can you point to the 2.4ghz unit you used or a thread that shows how to build this up? I've got a couple old transmitters in a drawer somewhere.

thanks,
I described the conversion in full detail here http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,96937.0.html . This is a UK site because retro-mod seems to be more popular there at the moment and that's where I found the most help. But its catching on here too. I think there's a lot of us 40-50 somethings that were too late for the single channel/GG/reeds type radios but cut our teeth on the old 70's propo units.

The FrSky DHT 2.4g module, referred to as a "DIY" or "Hack" module can be found here. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sky_ACCST.html
As well as what ever receiver suits your needs.

Alofthobbies is faster shipping than Hobby City but they always seem to be out of stock on the items I want. http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html

Hobby City also sells the Corona and Assan 2.4g hack modules and receivers but stock is spotty and the prices are generally no better than FrSky. Plus FrSky just seems to have a better reputation.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 27, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
Jul 28, 2013, 06:18 AM
Thermals, Tom
I had Radio South convert my Kraft http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TYbkuiXCtG...0/DSC02211.JPG
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Jul 28, 2013, 10:03 AM
I'd be interested in getting my old Ace Pulse Commander system back up and running, perhaps on 2.4Ghz, but Adams actuators are hard to find nowadays, were easily damaged.
Jul 28, 2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
Sweet,
What little plane is that?

I used to have a similar Kraft while in college mid 80's. It was a three channel single stick. The receiver and two servos came in a single piece "brick" with a port for a separate throttle servo. It was neat and tidy. Flew it in an Ace Alpha with an Enya .09. A bad battery did her in. While on the base leg setting up for a landing she nose dived straight in.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 29, 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Jul 28, 2013, 04:27 PM
Thermals, Tom
Mercury Galahad
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers

Quick Reply