Ac-86 build - Page 34 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 09, 2017, 10:56 PM

The Beams will be bonded to the hull and the Bulkheads with an Structural Epoxy made for Composites. Expensive but worth it.
Way harder than the Resin, I used it to glue the Bulkheads into the hulls.
Product: Fibre Glast 1101 adheasive.
Great stuff - but way expensive - Nice to work with. In 20 min you better like the position of everything because it is never going to come apart!
No Bolts or screws!

John Xman
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2017, 08:32 AM
Thanks John, for the information.

Was wondering if you were going to make it able to be disassembled for travel or storage. Just starting to fool with my own 2 meter and weighing rigid platform vs. a bunch of pieces to assemble. Time to research before decision. Thanks for the link.

Jul 13, 2017, 02:17 PM

Cross Beams

So I had to toss my first attempt at the Cross Beams. They became to heavy with the use of Duratec and Foam. 2 1/4 lbs for the front cross beam.
Starting over with a Balsa framework to form the front edge of the front and rear cross beams. This Balsa will be the Male mold for the Carbon Wrap/vacuum bag.
Will post some photos at the end of the weekend.

John Xman
Sep 13, 2017, 06:36 AM

My new Wing

Here is my new wing of my AC40 on foils!
Sep 13, 2017, 08:14 AM
great job! videos next?
Nov 16, 2017, 04:36 AM
Any news John? looking forward to see some progress in your project!
Nov 21, 2017, 10:22 AM

AC-35 Monohulls?

OK, so I have delayed any work on my Cat until the release of the AC-35 Mono Hull design was released.

Well, yesterday they released the concept design---- First I laughed then I cried and now I am pissed

See Link:

I was thinking of building this at 1/10 scale but the design is questionable in so many ways!?

They are claiming greater stability, but they have moved from 3 appendages down to 2?
They claim self righting, but how do you stuff enough lead in a foil to bring her upright.
let alone have to move this heavy foil up and down.
Sorry for me this is a big FAIL!
Very disappointed.

Love to hear others opinions-----

John Xman

Going back to finish my AC-86
Nov 21, 2017, 10:31 AM

AC-35 Monohulls?

Sorry try this link:

Nov 21, 2017, 12:24 PM

AC monofoiler

John, since TNZ has not announced any intention to make all the boats one design, it might pay to think of this a just one of many possibilities under a rule that hasn't been released yet?
Jan 14, 2018, 07:13 PM

Back to it-

Building the balsa form for the main beam. Once this is all assembled, planked/cover and sanded it will be wrapped in about 5 to 7 layers of carbon cloth and then vacuum bagged.

Selling my Airtronics SD-10G Transmitter on Ebay because I have decided to go to the Spectrum 9 channel line to get dual batteries and Satellites for the receiver.

John Xman
Jan 14, 2018, 09:39 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
The DX9 is a very capable and user friendly radio, you will love it!
Jan 28, 2018, 07:47 PM

Main Beam Balsa form

Made allot of progress this last week. Finished the Balsa Main Beam shape. Its no ready for Carbon Fiber wrap and bagging. Will wet lam two layers of 5.8 oz. top and bottom let it cure and then vacuum bag three more layers.

John Xman

Quick Reply