Ac-86 build - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
Any sketches available to aid in digesting the last two reports? Great info!
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
Nothing that I have - but when I get to my photos, they might explain a bit more. Also possible you could 'Google" Dr. Bradfield and ask if he has any sketches/drawings. He was a "Prof." at one of the Florida Universities - not sure which one - but his bio should indicate.

Good luck. Dick
May 10, 2013, 11:58 AM

Ac-86

Very sad day for America's Cup-

"It is with immense sadness that Artemis Racing confirms the tragic death of crewmember Andrew “Bart” Simpson today in San Francisco"

Makes me wonder if I should continue with my build if the AC-72 do not live after September?

John X
May 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
There are J Class boats, 12 Meter boats, and IACC boats - all of which were part of the history of the Cup - and it seems many in mainstream sailing are quick to dismiss the catamarans as "non-traditional" sail boats.. They are also the ones that seem to forget this is simply Round 2 of the multihull series of boats - Round One being the wing catamaran Denis Conner used to defend the cup against the "monster" monohull a couple of decades ago.

I suggest ...."Continue the build as part of Cup history." Obviously, there are too many (R/C sailors) who won't build, so yours will be one of only a handful to commemorate a truly fast Cup boat.

Dick
May 10, 2013, 02:42 PM
OK - guess I didn't have as many close-up photos as I thought. Then again, who would have thought a model boat builder would quit building boats ???

The photos show the wand device along side the amas, it shows the entire boat on land, and also being held by owner. (note the beam width to provide stability when up on foils) Finally, these are not something to sail in ponds with lots of weeds. Fortunately, this happened close to shore, and we were chasing in a pontoon boat.

Best I could do .... Dick
May 10, 2013, 03:16 PM
Very impressibe build.

Terry
May 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
At around $1900 - $2000 (2003 pricing) it should be impressive !
May 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
wolfgang
http://youtu.be/LUXlKtjlP6ttp://yout...jlP6QUOTE=Dick L.;24939568]Consider keeping wing and jib on separate channels. You can then use the jib to hold and be back-winded to help push the bows over during a tack, then be able to release, let jib tack itself, and then re-trim. Just a suggestion.[/QUOTE]

Back to basics

It's easier with a self-tacking jib (one-sheet-jib).
In the first half of the tack sheet out the jib slightly and keep the main closed. In the second half sheet the jib in and the main out.
May 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
Tuppesw,
I have set up two channels controlled by the left (Throttle) stick on the Transmitter. When tacking I can ease out the Wing and then use channel delay for the jib and set delay sheeting in for say 10 seconds.

I have a Airtronics SD-10G Transmitter that allows me to get creative with the settings.

OR --- I could set the jib to the (Rudder) channel and install a 45 degree diagonal plastic slider on the left stick? (Throttle/Rudder- Mode 2)

Made a lot or progress on the molds this week will post new images soon.

John X
May 15, 2013, 11:30 PM

Ac-86

I am debaiting weather to use a sail winch arm servo or a drum sail winch for the operations of the centerboard lift/retract. I need a winch that will pull 10 5/8" of line at about 400 in/oz of touqe?

I am also pushing the bondries of RC sail winches with a 3500 sq. in. wing. Bob at RMG said his larges sail winch will work but it's really pushing it. Generally because the cat only sees extreme lean angles during capsize, because the wing is typically more vertical, this reduces the winch load.

I would appricate any advice on winches for both the wing and the centerboard lift/retract. The key to all of this is weight. I cannot having any winch weigh over 6 oz. Total weight of the entire control system must be under two pounds!

Thanks all- John X
May 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
So. Cal. Glider
Try Servo City. They have many servos and gearboxes.
May 19, 2013, 08:52 PM

Ac-86

This weekend I finished the top planking and did the shaping sanding. The mold is now ready for sanding gray primer. Will take about four to five coats of sanding primer and sanding to get close to final shape. The mold is straight and true and I am very pleased with how the build is going. Final wet sanding is still a couple of weeks off. Just enough time to design the centerboard molds.

I sent an email to Servocity for a recommendation on how to pull 20” of sheet for the Wing and Jib.
Here is the response I got from servocity:

“Your options are a bit limited due to the amount of line that you have to reel in. You might consider the SPG785a with a 3.8:1 ratio and a servo stretcher. The final shaft would rotate approximately 2.26 rotations this way; in order to reel in the 20” of line, it would need to rotate a 3” diameter pulley 2.12 rotations (695 in/oz. torque). The stretcher will increase rotation but will decrease resolution; however that may not be overly important for your application. I would suggest studying the specs (specifically the torque) to make sure that it will work for your application: http://www.servocity.com/html/spg785a_top_mount.html”

So do I go this direction or stay with the twin RMG sail winches? The weight is the same (10.8 oz.) Several advantages to the RMG over the Servocity gearbox. RMG is made specifically for sailboat applications so set up, end points and mounting are no brainer. But RMG route is twice the money!.

What do ya all think?

Thanks
John X
May 29, 2013, 09:36 AM
cool as anything- absolutely amazing and can't wait to see it finished and wish you the best of luck. Have just got into this hobby and bought a joysway discovery but i dream about things like this :P
Oscar
May 29, 2013, 10:15 AM

Ac-86

Oscar,
This build may kill me but It's going to be amazing! When down to the lake this weekend and talked with a IOM owner at my local sailing site. The club was setting up for the day. He chuckled as I described my AC-86 and then he asked who was I going to sail with?

The point is to get a few guys to build AC-86 in my area and then race together.
So I will be making high quality molds and selling kits for the AC-86.

No- I have not developed pricing yet. Too soon. But it will be no more than a Wheeler! I am thinking about hiring out the molding to a professional company that specializes in vacuum bag Carbon molding.

I have changed the Wing design to be a full mold Carbon instead of just the leading edges (I will post more details later). This will greatly reduce the build time for a five section wing. I am shooting for a 25 hour build time for the wing and about the same for the cat.

New PDF file attached

John Xman
May 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
Too bad the "lead bottom" guys won't give something new and exciting a try. Had same response here in US nearly a decade and a half ago. Even with the few F48/Mini40's built, the US is too big for a small group to get together to race, and of course the airlines aren't much of a help either. Good luck, but may want to do some market research first before spending a lot of $$$$ in development only to find a lack of interest.

Dick