This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 07, 2013, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

akropolitan-100" hybrid e sailplane

akropolitan (from greek=inhabitant of the heights) is a hybrid that uses the fuse/tail/avionics of a fox 2.35 meters ws: http://www.bananahobby.com/4-ch-fms-fox-arf.html and a wing that i designed for thermaling, so it has the looks that i like, and flies more to my liking.
i enlarged the wing to 100" with undercambered, thin airfoil, 10" chord, 960 sqin; 2 pieces wing with gull dihedral to lower the center of gravity, and raised tips. 1/8x1/4 over/under spruce main spars with 1/64 webs, and 2 sets of 1/8 sq over/under spruce spars. 1/16 v trailing edge, 1/8 cf tubing leading edge. 1/4" dural join bar plugged in cf tubings. covering is hangar9 HANU950 transparent red, and solarfilm SLF125 tr yellow tips. auw is 1100 gr (about 39 oz) with a 3x1300 pack. i also enlarged the tail by adding 1" to the chord of the elevator and rudder. balance is at 33%, and the pack sits at the back of the canopy. after further tests i added 1" more to the rudder, as it was sluggish. i added quanum telemetry (16 gr). elevator is very sensitive anyway. although not intended for it, recently i flew it in extremely windy and gusty weather. it handles it well but there is wing flutter when climbing on full power. but on calm to moderate wind it is ok.
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply