May 07, 2013, 10:03 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Discussion

X47-B is one step closer

I've never seen this drone before. Looks like a pretty amazing piece of military hardware.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...ding-6C9801125

Do you think there will ever come a time when airliners will be flown by computers because they become better pilots than humans?
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
May 07, 2013, 10:09 AM
whiirrrrrr
Nope. Drone tech is on the way out for the AF other than a few big projects. Asian warfare won't benefit much from predator drones and such.
May 07, 2013, 10:10 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Old news. NBC

http://www.news.com.au/technology/x-...-1226540923562

Quote:
December 20, 2012

X-47B robotic drone aircraft completes deck trials aboard nuclear aircraft carrier
May 07, 2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness
Nope. Drone tech is on the way out for the AF other than a few big projects. Asian warfare won't benefit much from predator drones and such.
Completely untrue. The Navy is going to have to count on drones to take the fight to the Chinese. Unmanned aircraft lack the endurance to launch from carrier decks and beat the DF-21D missile's 3000km range.

For reference, the F/A-18E can fly a 710km strike mission without refueling. Even with a tanker (which is vulnerable), you're limited by the human constraints of the pilot.

The X-47 is bridging the gap between simple machines like the Predator and the full-up strike aircraft like what DARPA envisions with N-UCAS program.
May 07, 2013, 10:16 AM
Random Pic #23982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I've never seen this drone before. Looks like a pretty amazing piece of military hardware.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...ding-6C9801125

Do you think there will ever come a time when airliners will be flown by computers because they become better pilots than humans?
Already there. Talked to a UPS pilot recently and he sees the day when a pilot is not needed other than for passenger comfort. For flying boxes around, no need at all. He says his plane can self land in up to a 30knot crosswind. On many flights all he does is taxi the plane to the runway, press buttons to take off, fly, then land and turn off the autopilot to taxi to the loading spot.

The next step will be no CoPilot. In case of the mythical pilot incapacitation, a stewardess will go on, choose a menu option and the plane will land itself.
May 07, 2013, 10:23 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
I believe your news is old. That was "deck training" not take-offs and landings....That is now supposedly scheduled for next week because the land based catapult take off and hook landing tests went well or do you know something more than was in the story you linked to?
May 07, 2013, 10:27 AM
Figure Nine Champ
It appears you are correct. The only pictures of an X-47B flying off a carrier, are artists' depictions. Sorry.
May 07, 2013, 10:31 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Quote:
It appears you are correct. The only pictures of an X-47B flying off a carrier, are artists' depictions. Sorry.
Nah... Don't say sorry. We're talking about cool stuff. It's all good.
May 07, 2013, 01:16 PM
There is a joke which goes back many years.

Airliner takes off, and this announcement is made, "Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare to enjoy your flight. This airplane is completely automated, and nothing can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong. . . . ."
May 07, 2013, 02:15 PM
56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
How about this one. "It takes a pilot and a dog to fly the airplane. The pilot feeds the dog and the dog bites the pilot if he tries to touch anything."
May 07, 2013, 03:21 PM
The new cat
I will be making one in ducted fan later this year, I have been looking at this drone for a long time as well as the X-45. The aerodynamics of the hump in front of the intake do not detract much from the flow if at all.
Latest blog entry: The New Cat
May 07, 2013, 03:42 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Already there. Talked to a UPS pilot recently and he sees the day when a pilot is not needed other than for passenger comfort. For flying boxes around, no need at all. He says his plane can self land in up to a 30knot crosswind. On many flights all he does is taxi the plane to the runway, press buttons to take off, fly, then land and turn off the autopilot to taxi to the loading spot.

The next step will be no CoPilot. In case of the mythical pilot incapacitation, a stewardess will go on, choose a menu option and the plane will land itself.
I dunno...when things go tango uniform, a pilot can pull the bacon outta the fire...if any remember how to actually fly.
May 07, 2013, 03:48 PM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932
...if any remember how to actually fly.
Push forward, houses get bigger. Pull back, houses get smaller. Nothin' to it!
May 07, 2013, 03:50 PM
The new cat
Quote:
Push forward, houses get bigger. Pull back, houses get smaller. Nothin' to it!
Does that go for the ants too?
Latest blog entry: The New Cat
May 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
Does that go for the ants too?
If you see ants, pray that they are stuck on the windscreen

Another thing to watch out for, are those Cumulo Igneous cloud formations.

Quick Reply