May 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Ancient Piper Cub

OK, I have a bunch of questions for this group as i'm sort of a newbie to airplanes, been a helicopter guy the whole time. My grandfather has had an RC Piper Cub in his garage since I was born. We used to tinker with it all the time and even tried flying it a few times, it NEVER got off the ground. Reason being he had the CG wrong (now that i'm older I figured that out) He passed away a few years back and the old cub just sat in his garage waiting for someone to rescue it, I showed up. I got the plane, it's hanging in my garage and one of my personal goals in life is to get this thing flying, a complete re-furb. It is old school balsa and painted fabric. It needs stripped to nothing and re-skinned. I have no idea what scale it is, i've been trying to figure it out so I can order parts. It needs main landing gear, a complete set. the bottom of the fuselage measures 4 3/4 inches wide. Where can I find gear that will fit this thing?
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2013, 07:04 PM
It would help to know the kit vendor and wingspan. Fuse width sounds a little narrow for a CG 1/5, maybe a sig. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
Edwin
May 02, 2013, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
i've checked everywhere, the plane is so old (i'm guessing atleast 40 years) there is not a shred of evidence as to the make. I can post pics if you want to see this relic
May 02, 2013, 07:26 PM
Wingspan measurement would be a big help too. Good things to know, is the wing one piece, wing attachment method on the fuse, what the wing saddle looks like, a picture of the cabin insides (how the structure is built up), and some views around the firewall. I'm most familiar with Balsa USA and Sig (the bigger ones). I've only seen the Carl Goldberg. Its probably covered in silk and dope if its that old. You can remove doped on silk with acetone, using one of those tin handle brushes. Just paint it on a little, let it soften and start pulling it up. I use sig koverall to cover my fabric planes. Goes on the same way silk and dope does. Solartex fabric covering is easier to use but doesnt look as good as koverall in my opinion. Koverall also doesnt sag in the summer heat, solartex does. Do grandpa proud.
Edwin
May 02, 2013, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
one piece wing, roughly 69 inches from tip to tip. Fuselage is roughly 41 inches from the firewall to the tip of the rudder. And it IS silk, not fabric. I can see it where the paint has chipped off. The Koverall looks like what I would want to use.
Last edited by ricejb21; May 02, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
May 02, 2013, 08:25 PM
Closest I can guess is a Sig 1/6 cub. Pictures of the construction might jog somebodies memory. But the dimensions are a bit off. The sig ws is about 71" and fuse length is about 43". Somebody elses turn to guess.
Edwin
May 03, 2013, 07:29 AM
ARFs Are Me
May 03, 2013, 10:02 AM
Ha, good one! Yeah, show us the pics!

It almost has to be the Sig. That kit has been around since the 1950s; it was Berkeley back then. Sig took over their line.

Stripping old silk is not easy, but there are some ways. Silk that has been exposed to light will puncture very easy due to UV degradation. If it's been in a dark garage for a few decades it might be fine. An experienced kit builder could probably get that plane in the air with some work. Without experience, there will be many difficulties.

How difficult? Show us the pics!
May 03, 2013, 11:04 AM
If it IS a Sig, check their web page: sigmfg.com. In the ads, they give the cg and all other specs., so you could see if this is really a sig. If it's that old it almost has to be.

howell
May 03, 2013, 11:19 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Ha, good one! Yeah, show us the pics!

How difficult? Show us the pics!
I figure that it would be easier to provide the OP information, if we could see what he is describing.
May 03, 2013, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
here are the pics, hope they work, naturally they are all upside down, no idea why
May 04, 2013, 06:01 AM
Cat Man
The plane looks pretty rough. IMO I would just buy a K&S wire bender and then you can bend your own gear to your specifications. Then you cut lite ply to cover the triangle area of the gear, then cover or paint. Any efforts to find matching gear for this plane will be time wasted and futile.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s326.htm
May 04, 2013, 06:04 AM
ARFs Are Me
Years ago, before Hobbico grabbed Top Flite, TF had a Cub. Maybe this is an example of one.
May 04, 2013, 07:32 AM
Looks like it used rubber bands to hold the gear on. I'm stumped. Either way, I agree that it would be better to bend your own gear than to find one. A wind shield can be made out of flat plastic, make a pattern first for trial fit.
Edwin
May 04, 2013, 11:26 AM
I wonder if it's Goldberg's anniversary edition cub? However, I had one and that's NOT the registration number. Sorry, no help.

howell

Quick Reply