Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 01, 2013, 02:50 PM
Kansas is windy.
Contest

BBCC 2 - Easybuilt's Pitcairn Fleeting - pburress

--NOTE-- Final Pics are on Post #29 on Page 2

My entry in this contest is Easy Built Model’s Pitcairn Fleetwing at 16” span. I ordered the model from http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ca04.htm and entered the contest with literally minutes to spare before the entry deadline.

The Fleetwing was built in 1925, for use as a trainer and passenger carrier. In 1929 a Fleetwing C3261 took 20th place in the National Air Races. Apparent this airplane is still flying, though it crashed in 2012 and needs repairs.

One interesting note I found while researching is that the first Fleetwing prototype crashed on it’s maiden flight, due to control cables being reversed. Sound familiar to any modelers out there?

I will keep this as close to it’s free flight design as possible and will try to keep it modestly powered with the goal of low weight. I have a brick from a Parkzone Vapor. Not sure what motor I’ll use at this point, but the final weight will be a consideration there. According to Easybuiit’s site, the (free flight) prototype of the model weighed 18.1 grams.

This project is next in my build queue so I won’t be starting immediately. Currently I am working on a 12” Farman Sport Parasol over in the Scale Electric Planes forum, and will finish that before I dive into the Fleetwing.
Last edited by pburress; Sep 08, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2013, 05:24 PM
Never stop being a kid.
Welcome to the fray. I chuckled a bit to see your last-minute, bid-sniper-style entry into the contest.

I just wanted to mention... I could be wrong, but I believe the Vapor bricks have a lower current limit than the bricks in the higher performance micros, and won't be able to run anything but a Vapor motor. You might want to check into this.

Cheers,
Dave
May 01, 2013, 05:35 PM
Phil,
You should be able to come in at around 30-35 grams with that one and a Vapor brick and 7 mm motor unit should be fine. I run the 7 mm unit, and 5x3 GWS prop on the old Vapor bricks I have without problems. Since even the Mini Vapor brick can handle them (I've read) I can think of no reason the bigger brick won't.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. It's my sort of plane and I like that you're sticking with the original build style.

Pete
May 01, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this one fly. It looks great
May 01, 2013, 11:31 PM
Kansas is windy.
Thanks guys. This will be fun. I subscribed to the contest thread a couple of weeks ago and hemmed and hawed. I will double check the specs on my brick. Specifically it's from a night vapor. I will start updating when I start building, but it may be a while on that as I have one to finish first and family visiting next week to put a kabosh on the build time!
Last edited by pburress; May 01, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
May 27, 2013, 08:31 PM
Kansas is windy.
So Pete, can you point me to one of these 7mm motor units that will plug into the night vapor brick?
May 28, 2013, 02:10 AM
HK list one, but it comes without a plug. If I can solder one on, anybody can. If you don't like soldering, and don't mind a heavier, faster model, go with a P-51 or Champ motor unit.

Pete
May 28, 2013, 09:13 AM
Kansas is windy.
I guess I'm a dummy because I don't see that on Hobbyking.com... what should I search for?
May 29, 2013, 02:27 AM
Here you go mate. It's under motors, on gearboxes and parts.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...box_GPS_7.html

Pete
May 29, 2013, 09:44 AM
Kansas is windy.
Ah, thanks Pete. I searched their site twice and even tried their CS chat with no luck. I picked up the motor and gearbox for the Parkzone P51 but at 8.5mm it seems overkill for this airplane. I will order the HK 7mm and save the P51 motor for a future project.
May 29, 2013, 10:13 AM
Kansas is windy.

My name is Phil, and I am a pin-aholic.

This stabilizer is not going anywhere!
May 29, 2013, 06:55 PM
Yep, I'd say she's "stuck".
Jun 13, 2013, 04:24 PM
Kansas is windy.

I've been busy

I finished my other build of Peter Rake's 12" Farman Parasol and it was a great success, so I am stoked to finish this Pitcairn. The rudder was framed (yes I used lots of pins), then hinge points for the sewn hinges as well as a plate to hold the control horn were added. The tail feathers were lightly sanded and covered in the kit supplied tissue.
Jun 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
Kansas is windy.
Next came the fuselage, built in a standard manner. I thought that it might be tricky due to the roughly triangular cross section up front, but it came together very well, and very straight!

Since I will just attach the motor with epoxy, I decided to add a little depron to the firewall, to give it some depth to hold the motor securely using less glue.

I also, on a whim, added some cardstock to the inside of the nose. I was thinking this would be helpful to attach the brick and battery tray. This remains to be seen and I may end up removing some of this later on.
Last edited by pburress; Aug 30, 2013 at 09:57 PM.