Jan 16, 2019, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga
Mike,

No mods to the plane to speak of. The exhaust goes out under the back of the chin scoop without any mods. You will need to remove some material from the front scoop to accommodate the pushrods, and I also cut a little air inlet under the spinner as there is no airflow over the fins. Iím not at home right now but will try getting some pics when I am back in country.
Ah! as I feared the dreaded cutting of the cowl lol. Once everything arrives i'll get a better idea of what I'm working with. Think if I can work it somehow i'll make some baffling in it as well. One thing I did want to do was a refinish to change the scheme. I know they flew in D-Day missions but I REALLY dislike invasion stripes, don't ask me why lol. So i'm trying to find a scheme that I like without the stripes...Pickings are slim.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2019, 11:25 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Agreed, it’s not nice to cut cowls, but it’s unavoidable for cooling. Fortunately it’s not cutting that looks out of place, and doesn’t alter the looks at all. There are ways to cover it up, and at least no changes for the exhaust.
Jan 18, 2019, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga
Agreed, itís not nice to cut cowls, but itís unavoidable for cooling. Fortunately itís not cutting that looks out of place, and doesnít alter the looks at all. There are ways to cover it up, and at least no changes for the exhaust.
That is true. What retracts are you using? or do you run the stock setup? The mounting plate is an odd size so trying to match it up is quite a task.
Jan 18, 2019, 10:02 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Mike, using electrons, the rolls-Royce of retracts, and cost a pretty penny, but they just work. Worth every cent. Robart struts and HK scale wheels, I think they are 4”.
Jan 18, 2019, 04:39 PM
Thanks Cathurga, I'll check them out.
The Typhoon arrived yesterday, motor will arrive next week so I'm super keen to get this bird together.
Jun 16, 2019, 06:53 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
A bit quiet in here!

Good news, I see the Typhoon is back on the BH website! Its a shame that there aren't more people getting these in the 'states. Its such a cool model!

I have done a few more flights on mine now, and the FG40 is a good powerplant for the model. I am considering leaving it as is, but I also have a large Stuka that has the DLE55RA in it, and am thinking to remove that, and put the Saito in there. I dont have the money for a new Saito so will look to put the NGH38 4ST in the Typhoon. Based on the flight performance of the Saito, the NGH should perform quite nicely. The Stuka WILL need the 2cc though, as it is a 50cc plane. It is very floaty, so dont need ridiculous power to fly it in a nice way.....it might even do a loop.

The Saito in the Typhoon is a really frugal engine.....I did 4 x 7 minutes flights on a 500ml tank, and still had around 100ml in the tank....it reall does SIP the fuel.

Here are some low-quality vids.....they were done at sunset so light wasnt great...

Flight:
Test (1 min 38 sec)

Landing:
Black Horse Typhoon FG40 Landing (1 min 23 sec)
Jun 19, 2019, 02:51 PM
No Guts, No Glory

ngh38 4t

Hi

I fly it with NGH38 4T.
But it needs a lot of runway to get airborn.
My plane is arround 9Kg and trust is only between5-6Kg.
I tried several props but to get airborn I stil needs a lot of runway.
Once airborn gear retracted it flies great.....
I bought me an OS FG40 will install that power plant in a couple of weeks.

grts Hans
Jun 20, 2019, 02:23 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Hans,
I see you are flying yours with a 3-bladed prop, is that still on it? The 3-blade probably is why it doesnt have the power. In your video, the take off run doesnt look too long, I know your runway might be a little short, but maybe put a little take off flaps into the setup. Not too much though or you might nose it over!
I dont know the difference in power between the OS40, the Saito40 or the NGH, but I would have thought they would be similar...
Jul 19, 2019, 02:11 PM
No Guts, No Glory

BH Typhoon with OS GF40

Pilots

After flying almost 2 years with NGH38 and seeing not enough power with this engine I changed to OS GF40.
Must say I'm imprest with performance of this engine compared to NGH38.
I flew it first with APC 18X8 brake in prop, rpm 8600 and allready much more power than NGH38.
After a few tanks I changed to APC 18X10 rpm 8000 and gaining trust.
I fly most of the time half throttle and I'm very pleased with this setup.
Settings are still factory because I still running in engine.
Didn't measure static trust at this moment, but compared when take off and flying it it seems to me 1 1/2 more trust, power than NGH38 that I have.

grts Hans
Jul 20, 2019, 02:19 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Hey Hans,

Thats good news, glad your Tiffy is up and running! Make sure to get some video and pics, there are not enough users of these planes, you wish people would realise what great flyers they are. The shape of the nose and chin allows you to get any exhaust hidden...like yours! But that OS stock exhaust pipe is TERRIBLE! Which adaptor did you use. I have bought a HobbyKIng muffler for mine and it is still not the best. Fortunately, with 4-Stroke you are able to use any old piping to make an exhaust, as long as you stay away from too many bends.
Which adaptor did you use?
I have my NGH38 mounted in a test plane (big trainer) that I use for break ins. I ran it today with an 18x8 break in prop, and it will probably do a few tanks like that, or maybe on to the 18x10 when it gets a little 'looser' I could tell it was running with less power than the Saito FG40, but in time, I hope to improve it.
I have been given an OS GF40 from someone who 'thinks' its broken, but I dont know what happened to it. When I get it and if it can be repaired without spending too much, I will put it in the Typhoon...but I really dont like the exhaust set up they have...
Jul 20, 2019, 03:38 PM
No Guts, No Glory

BH Typhoon with OS GF40

Hi

I used OS-72109760 in cowl exhaust header M16 IN-COWL HEADER PIPE INVERTED 80D
Today I flew with cowl installed and must say that sound is good flying it.
Sadly my flying budy isn't at the club, he always make nice video's of my planes, I must asked him to make time to make a nice vid.
grts Hans

Quick Reply