Nov 11, 2013, 11:25 PM
Graves says that there supplier doesn't carry this bird.
W
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2013, 04:04 PM
2 many planes & 2 little time
That leaves the ESM Typhoon as the only alternative for US buyers. It is a fine looking model too. It may not have rockets but it's readily available.
Aug 23, 2014, 02:19 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
This model has now disappeared from Black Horse website. There are VERY few people who have them in stock.

I cannot get one now, a little upset.

Ripmax distribute in the UK, and they can apparently get stock but they don't answer my emails, and Black Horse doesn't respond either.

Damn shame. I wanted to put a 50cc gasser in it, with a big 3-bladed prop.

aargh
Aug 23, 2014, 09:40 AM
It's hard for us to fathom but there must not be a big enough demand for these models to inspire people to bring them to market
Aug 24, 2014, 05:01 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Scoot,

Agreed, we as hobbyists just 'assume' that they will be freely available......and they are not always so. Its particularly disheartening for me as there are no distributors for many brands, in this region. It always means that I have to buy from elsewhere and ship it in. I don't mind doing this but I get ticked off when vendors tell distributors and retailers that they are not to ship outside of their region, and then they make it impossible to deal with them direct.

A couple of vendors have allowed me to buy from them direct (but they make the price in accordance with a retail price). I don't expect to get it cheaper, but I would prefer not to buy from US or UK, have their import duties AND mine put on top of a ridiculous shipping price.

You would think that the vendor and the distributor would be HAPPY to receive an enquiry. Makes me feel that they are so busy that they don't need my business. Hell, even if they sent me a mail SAYING they don't want my business, that would be better than getting NOTHING from them.....
Aug 24, 2014, 07:56 AM
I am currently looking for more wood frame warbirds in the 72" range. I am discouraged by the weight of some fiberglass models. Many of the old (CMP & Seagull) models are not available. Blackhorse who does make some - not available in the USA?
Aug 28, 2014, 04:43 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Ordered one from Germany. On its way to me now.

Will probably start a build thread soon, but it is coming into flying season, so might just spend more time on the airstrip than in the workshop.

Going to power this with a DLE55RA so that I can put a nice big 3-bladed prop on it. A mate has the Sea Fury of the same size with the 55, and he is swinging a 4 blader. Goes very well.

A word to the wise,..... Blackhorse have not done a very good job of making these available to the world. I spent an absolute FORTUNE getting this model to me in Dubai. The option I chose was the cheapest way. Even if I ordered it from a UK supplier, and carried it home as my baggage, it would have cost me more.

I wish the more independent vendors would think about how they want to bring a product to market....and they always seem to end up falling into the hands of distributors who dictate where products go. Its not easy getting your product to market, but with the internet and forums, vendors could do a much better job of it.

Will send pics when I get it.
Aug 28, 2014, 09:05 AM
Happy to hear you have made the commitment to do this build. I know we will finally get a very good look at this handsome model.
And yes, many of us in the USA would buy this model if it were available.
Aug 28, 2014, 01:48 PM
I bought one when it first came out in the UK. Other than having GT33 engine troubles and having to load up the cowl with 780grams of lead the bird now flies very nicely. The all up weight without fuel is bang on 7Kgs. I haven't yet fitted the 3 blade spinner but still running in on an 18 x 8 prop

It is a bit worrying now that BH do not supply the kit anymore and getting spares may be a problem

--
Mark
Aug 28, 2014, 05:34 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Have you got any pics you can share? I am keen to know the distance from firewall to backplate, the 55ra will probably require that I remove the engine block, but it will mean I need less weight up front and allow me to swing a 20" 3 blader.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:04 AM
I only have these pics atm. I didn't take many when I built it. Distance from firewall box to prop driver is approx 165mm. This is with the OS GT33 cylinder head touching the cowling just above the lower air intake. and approx 10mm from the rear of the GT33 carb.

One of my engine problems was overheating. The cowling is so big it swallowed the engine and exhaust and none of it was in any airflow and even making ducting from the lower intake was not enough. I had to cut a hole in the cowling to allow air to flow directly across the cylinder. The exhaust is also swallowed in the cowling but the build up of CO2 in the cowling started to starve the engine of oxygen and caused it to cut. Since then I have had to cut a hole in the bottom and use silicon tubing to exit the gasses.

The flight pictures are of it's maiden before I did this

--
Mark
Last edited by Mark Derbyshire; Aug 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
Aug 30, 2014, 03:56 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Mark,

Thanks for the pics, she looks awesome! Good job on the build. Were there any build challenges apart from the engine cooling/breathing problems? My mates SeaFury from BH went together VERY well. He has converted it from electric to gas and even then it all went together very well.
I have the ESM Typhoon, and have had real problems fitting a DLE 30 which the plane was apparently DESIGNED for....its not. I had to add 1.2kg to the nose, and I had to recess the firewall. You can see what I had to deal with in the following thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1894615&page=4
I also could not fit a pitts muffler or a std muffler, so all I have is a straight through header. Its not ideal but it revs up nicely and makes a WICKED noise (I don't have noise problems here in Dubai)
I have not experienced any cooling problems with my ESM, but you can see in the other thread that the cylinder head sits RIGHT in the chin scoop. I am still debating putting the radiator cover on, but will probably cut some of the moulding out.
Anyway, thanks for your input, I hope you hang around long enough to be an advisor if I have some trouble in the build! :-)

Andy
Aug 30, 2014, 01:00 PM
Dubai, give us a tracking # so we can follow this build - LOL

Great looking model, Mark
I so want one of these, puppies.
Aug 31, 2014, 04:45 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
It's already in Dubai!�� and I am in the UK, heading back today but I fear it will be a while before I commence with this build. Will keep you posted though
Aug 31, 2014, 09:06 AM
The glossy finish detracts from the overall look of the thing. Maybe a can of satin or matt finish spray would enhance the look.

Quick Reply