Apr 29, 2013, 10:07 PM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
Build Log

guillows BF109 kit 401 rc conversion

these are the details of my kit 401 BF109 build.before I start I need to pay credit where it is due and thank rc groups members and the guillows conversion thread for the great info that helped me with these builds.
I have been completeing my builds and collecting video of my models before starting my build threads. it may not be as exciting to follow but it shouldn't be a disappointment either.also with my builds I like to collect the running gear and test it before I install it no suprises or not as many that way.
this is a very old kit that I won on an ebay auction.i did not test any of the wood as it looked perfect.
here are the details.

flying weight without paint 8.5 oz
with paint 8.7 oz
motor 29g 2800kv brushless outrunner
battery 800mah 20c 2s
esc 18 amp
servos
rudder 3.7g
elevator 5g
ailerons 5g
reciver g force r610
prop 8x3

this combo makes 118 watts @ 16.7 amps
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2013, 10:24 PM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
there is an option with this kit to make the wing @ 24 3/8 span which is scale or @ 26" (i believe). I chose the scale 24 3/8".my ailerons are slightly larger than scale.
I had intended to have retracts in this plane and I did find that the eflite sea fury p/n EFL606509 units were a very close fit but I just couldn't come up with a servo/control horn setup that would work so I dropped the idea.i am pretty sure that these units would work in the kit 402 mustang.
Last edited by meltor; Apr 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Apr 30, 2013, 08:36 AM
great job!
Apr 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
thanks chulian,i hope someone can can use this info and if there are other sugestions please chime in.
I wanted to make the wing removable so that I could change the angle of attack and make the running gear serviceable.maybe someday there will be micro servoless retracts ???
Apr 30, 2013, 11:16 AM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
I like to maiden my planes in the white or whatever color covering I use, and mark the top wing with blue painters tape.that way if there is a failure then Im not out the paint job and detailing.the gun throughs were difficult on this model and I really didn't like the canopy.my pilot came from a f4u corsair which I pulled from an old retired control line model.
I always liked this picture of a bf190e flying over the desert in the north African campaign so I went for some sort of color scheme like that.
the biggest kick in the gonads came with the decals.the dreaded 30 year old cracking old crummy decals. I used a little soap with the water and even @ that they more or less laid where they fell.but it all worked out with a little touch up paint.
Apr 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
this is the finished product.5 weeks of every spare minute but another childhood pipe dream is complete(for now). at some point I may add the wing cannons and some exhaust staining but for now it is just excellent to see it flying. I really like the profile and it is fairly acrobatic.in the vid I hover just for a moment and although it won't do a mad hover 2" off the ground,especially with me flying, it will ride the prop nicely and recover from any stall.
please leave comments or questions and as always I hope we can learn from one and other and our builds here.
guillows bf109 kit 401 rc conversion (4 min 55 sec)

guillows bf109 rc conversion test flight (3 min 52 sec)
Apr 30, 2013, 01:20 PM
Never stop being a kid.
Nice work, meltor. I've always been partial to desert camo on the BF109, myself. Yeah, I think it should hover at 200 watts/pound.
Apr 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
Looks great!

Pete
Apr 30, 2013, 07:03 PM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
thanks for the comments,i will get some better flight video when the weather straightens out .in the test flight video the wind was coming from every direction.it's been a crummy year so far for flying .
May 01, 2013, 11:16 AM
Or current resident
Very nice! and it flies well too! I like the paint scheme, different than the done to death splinter pattern with yellow nose.

I built one of these and fully sheeted it. It flies good, but yours looks to have much better aileron authority. Your model make me almost wish I had put the landing gear on mine.
Glenn
May 01, 2013, 05:40 PM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
Thanks Glenn, I really tried to find a retract that would work with this one.the fixed gear always look nice on the 109s though.this is really fun to touch n go with it's a little tipsy in the wind but ground handling is great.
this aileron set up is similar to what I have planned on my B-17.if the weather would ever straighten out here I can get a better video hopefully I will have a camera man.
May 03, 2013, 11:56 AM
Flits nicely, gets really small really quickly.Congrats.
May 03, 2013, 04:52 PM
AKA Jagdpanther9
Thread OP
thanks, I can't wait for more flying weather. this winter just keeps hanging on.

Quick Reply