Apr 26, 2013, 11:20 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
Discussion

Heli Pad Review Series: Hua Wei 3195 6-Axis RC Mini Multirotors Copter Review

HuaWei Technology is one of the top 10 toy makers in Chenghai, Shantou, the RC capital of China. But it has only been a year that they have entered the RC copter segment. This 3195 and the 3194 Quad are their first introductory products. With the backing of a big company, is this RC Toy a big success? Stay tuned.

This unbiased review is made possible by an early sample provided by Banggood.com. The HuaWei 3195 comes in two colors, Red and Blue. If you’re interested in purchasing one, I believe that Banggood are the only seller at this time. You could order from them by click this picture.

HuaWei 3195

Quadcopter or Tricopter?

At first glance, the HuaWei 3195 UFO doesn’t look like a Quadcopter in the conventional sense. Nonetheless, it is a Quadcopter. The only unique difference is that it does not place a rotor in each of the four corners. Rather, it arranges them into 3-axis, one in the front of the aircraft and two at the back, one on left and one on right. The ones on left and right has a rotor each, no surprises there. But there are two rotors stacked in the front, where two motors were employed, one on top, and one below. So, 2+1+1 is 4. There are 4 rotors in the 3195. So, it is a Quad. It operates with the same principle of a Quad where there are two CW spinning rotors, balanced by two CCW spinning rotors. But the rotors are arranged in such a way that it looks kind of like a Tricopter. So, whether you want to call it a Quadcopter or a Tricopter, it is up to you. I think it really is a Quad, but I’ll call it a Mini Multirotors Copter, so everyone is happy.

Power System 1S or 2S?

Another unusual feature of the 3195 is that it uses two batteries instead of one. Is the 2nd battery there to make the 3195 fly longer? Would it fly with just one? No, the 3195 is designed to operate as a 2S (2 in series) system. You need both batteries to fly. Each stock battery is rated at 300mAh. They each have an OCP (Over Charge Protection) at the terminals. Therefore, they are somewhat heavy. At 9.77g, they are a whole gram heavier than comparable 300mAh batteries.

Weight

The 3195 weighs in at 58.16g. That gross weight is comparable to other mini Quads. However, the others are not carrying two heavy batteries.

Motor size

To compensate for that weight, the 3195 employs some pretty beefy motors. While the Syma X1 uses 7mm coreless motors, and the V949 uses 8.5mm coreless motors. The 3195 uses 10mm brushed motors with core. Big magnets are present so that you can't flick the rotors and watch them spin. Motor wires are usually also, in that they use enamel wires.

Prop size

Props are direct drive. Two of them are Red and two of them are White. If you owns a Quad, you would incline to assume that one of the Red ones is CW and the other is CCW. Similarly with the Whites, one CW and CCW. You would be wrong. Both Reds are CW, and both Whites are CCW (looking from behind the motors). You have to realize that the 3195 does place a pair or whites in the front or the back, that’s why the two like color props do not need to be counter rotating. The Props are about 58.6mm x 8.4mm. In other words, they are about the same size as the WL-V202 props, perhaps longer by 1mm each side. It comes with 4 spare props (2 reds, 2 whites).

Tx Compatibility

HuaWei 3195 comes with its own 4 channel, mode 2/4 Tx, with the usual trim buttons, and a large LCD display. In many respect, it is comparable with the other Txs in this toy segment. It takes 4xAA. There are two shoulder buttons in awkward positions, cause you can’t easily press them with you index fingers. You have to momentarily take your thumbs off the sticks to access these buttons (poor design). The one on the left is marked MODEL, and the one on the right has a FLIP logo. It has a carrying handle and a very flimsy neck strap hole. There is also a USB charge port on the right side. A LCD takes the space at the bottom front side.

Well, I think I have stalled long enough, I know you’ve all be waiting to learn if it is compatible with other Txs on the market. The answer is NO. I have tried to bind it with the Hubsan, two different WL-Toys, and it was a no go. The 3195 only works with its stock Tx.

Binding Procedure

I strongly suggest that you forget ever reading the instruction manual! It is both difficult to understand and full of errors. Rather, just follow my proven method here. The 3195 won’t operate with one battery. So, after plugging in the 2nd battery, set the 3195 on level ground. The blue status LED will blink slowly. Turn on your Tx. The red LED on the Tx will blink. The Tx will emit a very annoying beeping sound. But the blue LED will go steady, signaling that the 3195 is bound and ready. However, you need to perform one more step, which is really a safety feature. You need to sweep the throttle stick from 0-100% and then back to zero. After this procedure, the Tx red LED will finally glow solid, and the beeping will stop. You are ready to fly!

FC Board

The green FC board is uniquely mounted on the frame over 3 shock absorbers! I’m not sure how effective they are. But I appreciate the attention to details. There is a small cylindrical crystal. The receiver module is a small red PCB standing up with the antenna. Again, motor wires are enamel, no plugs. There are two LOSI battery plugs with silicon wires. There is one blue LED soldered to the FC that serves as both the tail light and the status light.

Canopy/Cage

The canopy is also a cage around all the moving parts, protecting it. It serves as a great “bumper” for the 3195. Speaking of bumpers, the 3195 has rubber bumpers top and bottom. You can pretty much fly it in the house against walls and ceiling and you won’t hurt it. I like that about it. However, the substantial canopy would become a sail in the wind.

TX Functionality

Good luck if you try to get info out of the poorly translated manual. Instead I’ll summarize what I have figured out here:

The Tx defaults to low rate at power up. The display shows 00%. But this number will change when you adjust the trims. You could adjust trims for Rudder, Elevator, and Aileron. You cannot adjust trim for Throttle, because that trim button is your Rate button. You use the Throttle trim button to cycle between Low rate (00%), High rate (80%), or Manual Flip rate (99%).

There are two top buttons. The Left “Model” button, should simple say “Demo” because it puts the 3195 in demo mode. There are 3 demo routines. With each press of the button it goes to the next routine. The demo basically consists of turns, forward, backward and flies in circles. The Right “Flip” button engages the 3195 in Auto flips. These are full-on auto flips, meaning that you’re not in control. The 3195 automatically climbs and flips itself. If you want to do flips yourself, you get into the 99% rate and use your cyclic, but there is a delay. Now, if you push both of these top buttons down at the same time, it will change the Tx from Mode 2 to Mode 4. You could toggle it back.

Flight time/Charge time

So, with 2x batteries, do you get 2x flight time? The answer is NO. It got only 4.5 minutes of gentle flight out of it.

Flight characteristics

The first thing you would notice is that the 3195 is loud. Even with 2 batteries and 4 large motors, the 3195 has no punch. Climbs were very lazy. Response was slow and inaccurate. Altitude is difficult to hold. In FFF mode, it tends to dive. In fact, it tends to lose altitude in all that you do. My theory is that instead of increasing speed of certain motors to perform a move, it slows down the other motors, losing overall lift. For instance, when you bank left, instead of speeding up the right motor, it slows down the left motor. When going forward, instead of speeding up the rear motors, it slows down the fronts to dip. As a result, you lose lift.

6-axis gyro

The 3195 is equipped with a 6-axis gyro. It is apparent in that you could initialize the 3195 on a uneven surface, but it will still fly level. It is also apparent that when you fly the 3195 into the ceiling, only the front top bumper will touch the ceiling and the lower bumper of the rear will not. However, that’s as far as the 6-axis gyro will go. In flight, it is less stable than the 3-axis I have flown.

Inverted Launch

This is incredible! With the 6-axis gyro, you could turn the 3195 upside down or at angle, throw it 10-15 feet up in the air, throttle up and watch it flip over like a cat. It happens in a split second, the 3195 will right itself and stabilize. That trick alone is almost worth the price of admission. Try doing that with a 3-axis gyro.

Battle Scars

Structurally, the 3195 is sound. The bumpers were excellent. However, the paint on the canopy cracks and chips easily. So far, testing has been done on a smooth roller skate rink. It’s hard, but not rough. None of the drops were more than 10ft travel. Yet, the canopy sustained a crack and lots of missing paint. You would think that nothing could come into contact with the blades. That’s what I thought first. But after seeing the chipped blades, I concluded that the motor mounts are flexible enough to cause the blades to come into contact with the inside of the shell, and chipped them. Also, after a few mild crashes, the motor wires came out from the guides. If they are not put back carefully, the rotor blades could cut them! The canopy/shell is a big part of the overall frame. Replacing it would be a major job.

Package Contains
  • 1x HuaWei 3195 unit
  • 1x Stock Tx
  • 2x 1S 3.7v 300mAh Lipos
  • 1x USB charger
  • 4x Spare rotors
  • 1x Instruction Manual
Pros
  • Bumpers for soft landing
  • Distinctive front for better orientation
  • Shock absorbing FC mounts
  • Ability to perform Inverted Launch
  • Large LCD display on Tx
  • Carrying handle on Tx
Cons
  • High noise level
  • Short flight time
  • Poor controls
  • No other Tx compatibility
  • Confusing manual and settings
  • Poor Battery/Power management
Overall, the 3195 doesn't earn top rank in my fleet. The design is unique and it stands out from the conventional Quads. Orientation is better than your average Quad. Just be aware of its shortcomings and you might like it.

Video Tutorial
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=18

Photo Gallery:
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jul 20, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2013, 11:21 PM
Thread OP

Hua Wei 3195 Replacement Parts List

Hua Wei 3195 Replacement Parts List

Click on the following parts to order:

Hua Wei 3195 RTF Kit
Prop Set 2 CW + 2 CCW
3.7v 300mAh Lipo Battery
Clockwise Motor
Counter-Clockwise Motor
Motor Cover and Bumper
Motor Supports
Receiver Board

Optional Equipment and Accessories

5x UDI 3.7v 240mAh Lipo
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jul 02, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Apr 26, 2013, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for Frequently Asked Questions
Apr 26, 2013, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for Troubleshooting Guide
Apr 26, 2013, 11:23 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for Mods
Apr 26, 2013, 11:55 PM
Looking forward for your review HP. I bet is gonna be a good one like the Syma X1 one.
Im really interested in this quad, looks promising as far as I had seen on the videos, and looks powerful too.
Im interested now in building a frankenquad and in this one....ohhh and in the v922!
Apr 27, 2013, 12:30 AM
Do you have any idea why that quad uses 2 Lipos and only 5 mins of flytime?....it still has 4 motors, so I dont understand. Could it be that the motors are huge?
I was looking to the pics on banggood, and the close ups of the rear motors looks as if it has huge motors
Apr 27, 2013, 01:36 AM
Thread OP
Tboost, I have no idea about the power configuration at this time, and I don't want to speculate too much. But I promise that it will be something that I'll be looking at.

My sample is coming from Banggood.com. My hope is that when I receive the Hua Wei 3195, I will update the first post with a thorough review so that potential buyers could make an informed decision. Hopefully, this thread will focus on the review, discussion, resource, and mods aspects of this bird. I'm sure that there will be questions and posts about shipping and customer service. I would suggest to use Aaron's thread for those issues.

Guys, if you are checking this out, feel free to post your questions that you'd like answers at this time. I won't have answers until I get my hands on this bird. But I will pay extra attention to those questions, and hopefully answer them in the initial review that is coming.

FYI, I'll be checking out the unusual power configuration, the rotors arrangement, Tx protocol and compatibility, gross weight, thrust performance, flight times, and the usual suspects. If you have a specific question or suggest for the review, feel free to drop me a line.

HP
May 16, 2013, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
The long awaited HuaWei 3195 Review is here! Please see post #1.

This is the initial release. It is very likely that I will go back and add more info to it. Do come back from time to time for updates.

I'll try to announce the major updates, so you won't have to read the whole thing again. But I'll keep the important info in post #1 for future visitors.
May 16, 2013, 06:00 PM
Team Drone Art
Good review Heli Pad. Thank you.
May 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
kiwi power!
Cheers for the great review Heli Pad! AFAIK this Hua Wei has no association with the telecommunications company. I flew this quad at the Beijing Expo this year and I must say that you were spot on in your findings... Deafeningly loud, very vague controls and overall just unrefined IMO. I met a guy from their company who was a great laugh; he was drop kicking the 3195 and it would go back to level flight after every kick... Impressive, but I don't know if they'll sell many of these with only the durability feature going for it
May 16, 2013, 07:46 PM
Very nice review HP!!!
As always, a very complete review, trying to cover all the upcoming questions.
About the flying time, 4.5 mins its a little lame, barely what you get with a v911, but this uses 2 lipos, so more time charging. So to have fun with the quad, you need at least 6 lipos (3 flights).

Can the 3195 fly without the canopy? is there a way to do it?
I thought that with those big motors will have a very nice punch and reaction to the stick movements, and I guess it was nothing near of what I expected.
I was between getting this quad, or the FY 999, so good I went on the other direction I guess.
May 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Yes, power management and flight time are not strong suits of the 3195. Unfortunately, the canopy is an integral part of the overall structure. I don't see how you could fly without it.
May 16, 2013, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072
Cheers for the great review Heli Pad! AFAIK this Hua Wei has no association with the telecommunications company. I flew this quad at the Beijing Expo this year and I must say that you were spot on in your findings... Deafeningly loud, very vague controls and overall just unrefined IMO. I met a guy from their company who was a great laugh; he was drop kicking the 3195 and it would go back to level flight after every kick... Impressive, but I don't know if they'll sell many of these with only the durability feature going for it
Thanks, James. That means a lot, coming from you. I might have been wrong about Hua Wei. Let me do some more research on this company. I might have to retract what I said about them in the intro.

When I get a chance, I'm gonna try doing some inverted launch, etc. and see if the 6-axis gyro is truly that impressive. Kind of tied up at the moment. Will definitely expand the review when I have more data.
May 16, 2013, 08:14 PM
kiwi power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad
Thanks, James. That means a lot, coming from you. I might have been wrong about Hua Wei. Let me do some more research on this company. I might have to retract what I said about them in the intro.

When I get a chance, I'm gonna try doing some inverted launch, etc. and see if the 6-axis gyro is truly that impressive. Kind of tied up at the moment. Will definitely expand the review when I have more data.
I thought it was the phone company too before I met them in person
Was hanging out at the Benma booth this year (it's like walking into a BG catalogue) and they had a blue one and a red one.. Both looked as beaten up as yours did after 3 days of flights for the public.. I saw their conventional quad as well..my conclusion is that their products really seem to be overbuilt and under-engineered.

Quick Reply