129min 15s flighttime with quad - Page 51 - RC Groups
Jul 27, 2013, 05:03 PM
Thx for the info. Good idea for the 5mm/6mm tube, I did not think about that.

Your link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/300822022205

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. "

Vive la France
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2013, 09:07 PM
Hmmm just went flying with my quad. I popped a 12a plush... I'm using apm 2.5 with the power module. Not sure why this happened. They seem to be getting very hot. My average total amperage isn't over 10amps so there is no way I can be hitting over 12a a ESC right? Someone said something about the BEC's in the plushs? how do I fix this?
Jul 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
fast
I started experimenting with 1S setups, here is 215mm MTM quad, using regular motors and electronics, I just added DC step-up converter to supply constant 5V to FC and regs. chips
10X4.5 props overlap almost reaching center of frame. Overlapping possible because crossed arms hight difference.
2204 1400kv
flashed HK-SS20
Baseflight FC
1S 1Ah LiPo
Jul 27, 2013, 11:34 PM
How diffirent between 4S4P Panasonic NCR18650b and Genuine A123 Systems 18650 1100mAh LiFePo4 Cell w/ tabs ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s-LiFePo4.html )
Jul 27, 2013, 11:35 PM
Genuine A123 Systems 18650 1100mAh LiFePo4 Cell w/ tabs

Specs:
Nominal Capacity & Voltage: 1.1Ah, 3.3v

Dimensions: 18mm x 65mm
Recommended standard charge current: 1.5A
Recommended fast charge current: 5A to 3.6v CCCV, 15min
Max continuous discharge: 30A
Cycle life at 10C discharge, 100% DOD: Over 1,000 cycles
Recommended charge/cutoff voltage: 3.5v to 2v
Operating temp: -30 ~ +60degC
Cell Weight: 39g
Jul 28, 2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeystud87
Hmmm just went flying with my quad. I popped a 12a plush... I'm using apm 2.5 with the power module. Not sure why this happened. They seem to be getting very hot. My average total amperage isn't over 10amps so there is no way I can be hitting over 12a a ESC right? Someone said something about the BEC's in the plushs? how do I fix this?
People forget average and peak consumption can be very very different

Normally the esc-motor are scaled based in the max possible power ... here you try to scale on the average

At partial throttle the esc also need to work harder then at full power

Jul 28, 2013, 06:29 AM
LeViteZer smooths the movement
The hover / max power ration can easily be 1 / 10, typically maybe a bit less.

It would be nice if FC could limit the maximum power to motors. This way one could select the ideal propeller for hovering, but not risk to overload the motors/ESC.
Jul 28, 2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARUG
The hover / max power ration can easily be 1 / 10, typically maybe a bit less.

It would be nice if FC could limit the maximum power to motors. This way one could select the ideal propeller for hovering, but not risk to overload the motors/ESC.
With open source code it is trivial to limit the max signal to be given to a motor/esc

Still ... I would really suggest to properly scale the ESC ... weight difference it is not so much for more capable esc, especially considering these 5014 or similar motor that are almost 100g each

Jul 28, 2013, 07:36 AM
LeViteZer smooths the movement
It is not only ESC, but also motor and together they weight a lot. Using oversized propeller provides good g/w, but overloads the system at high power conditions.

Actual power limiting would be nice, i.e real time power measurement and limiting. The loading is different in different flight situations, also the motors and ESC's can take momentarily more power. Jus limiting the maximum input to ESC to a preset value is easy way to do this, but I am looking for a better way, that would give the maximum available power on the actual conditions without overloading the system.

Ps. I actually think that it is good to use oversized ESC. I have seen ESC's that appear otherwise exactly the same, just number of FETs is different and FETs do not weight much, but more of them provides lower internal resistance, less heating and better efficiency. It is the motor size I am more concerned, as they are heavy.
Jul 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
It is possible to discuss the problem, but it is also possible to measure. Typically when I maiden a new copter I am using to measure the temperature of motors/esc before the flight, after 5min, after 5min "heavy duty", ...
On my copter the 12A Tunergy work in a reasonable temperature range. For some of the flights I was using one BEC to power the FC, but here the temperature of the esc became critical. The 95min flight was done in that way, but I would not see this as a permanent solution (using the ESCs BEC).
Since I have already done quite some hours of flight with that copter I would assume that the 12A Tunergy are ok for my copter. (I check every time after landing the temp at least by touching the escs with my fingers.) But of course I would never have the idea to apply full throttle in "manual mode" which would be "100% throttle".

But please remember, IF SOMETHING WORKS FOR ME, IT NEEDS NOT TO WORK FOR YOU.

Also I would kindly ask not to PM me about the NCR18650B cells, they are 2C max. If you combine them in any way parallel or serial, the resulting pack is still 2C max. So if you achieve about 60min with standard lipo-cell, the 18650B will give you some more flying time, but if you flying time is below 60min (with standard Lipos) I would not suggest to use them. Also if I test other batteries, be sure that I will post it here, but I have no idea about all the different cells available on the market.

best regards
Ferdinand
Jul 28, 2013, 09:53 AM
One last question before I buy the NCR18650B's. Is it worth getting the ones with the voltage protection? They only cost a little bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NCR1...ords=ncr18650b
Jul 28, 2013, 10:44 AM
Has anyone tried T-Motor 26x8.5 props yet?
http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=209
Jul 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays
It is possible to discuss the problem, but it is also possible to measure. Typically when I maiden a new copter I am using to measure the temperature of motors/esc before the flight, after 5min, after 5min "heavy duty", ...
On my copter the 12A Tunergy work in a reasonable temperature range. For some of the flights I was using one BEC to power the FC, but here the temperature of the esc became critical. The 95min flight was done in that way, but I would not see this as a permanent solution (using the ESCs BEC).
Since I have already done quite some hours of flight with that copter I would assume that the 12A Tunergy are ok for my copter. (I check every time after landing the temp at least by touching the escs with my fingers.) But of course I would never have the idea to apply full throttle in "manual mode" which would be "100% throttle".

But please remember, IF SOMETHING WORKS FOR ME, IT NEEDS NOT TO WORK FOR YOU.

Also I would kindly ask not to PM me about the NCR18650B cells, they are 2C max. If you combine them in any way parallel or serial, the resulting pack is still 2C max. So if you achieve about 60min with standard lipo-cell, the 18650B will give you some more flying time, but if you flying time is below 60min (with standard Lipos) I would not suggest to use them. Also if I test other batteries, be sure that I will post it here, but I have no idea about all the different cells available on the market.

best regards
Ferdinand

End of days how do you remove the bec's from the turngy plush's? I tried taking the red wire out and it was unable to spin... If I could turn that off some how it would be a huge benefit as I am using the power module on the APM.
Jul 28, 2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeystud87
End of days how do you remove the bec's from the turngy plush's? I tried taking the red wire out and it was unable to spin... If I could turn that off some how it would be a huge benefit as I am using the power module on the APM.
just take the Signal pin - drop the two other Pins.
may work...

in the mean time i received Motors and props.
the Frame ist build - just need to solder the esc's.
in case the rain stops i will try to maiden soon.
Jul 28, 2013, 07:35 PM
Well I popped two turngy plush's both on the same flight i think. I am trying to remove plug wires and just use signal wires but for the time being it looks as if im grounded...