Jan 11, 2004, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Question

night fliers

For all those night fliers out there, I was wondering if anyone has tried this glow in the dark powder. It also comes in different colors and also comes as a spray paint. The company says it shines very brightly when charged with a blacklight. Has anyone seen or used this stuff?

http://www.glowinc.com/model_airplanes.htm
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2004, 06:53 PM
Thread OP

guess not

From the overwhelming lack of replies, I'm guessing no one has used this stuff. I my have to venture out into the unknown and try it out. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Jan 12, 2004, 07:24 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
you might want a coat of clear on top of that stuff to help hold it on your model.
just a thought.
hope it works! if it does post some pics for us to see!
Jan 12, 2004, 07:31 PM
Rehab is for quitters
Derk, love that avatar!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Dave...
Jan 12, 2004, 08:26 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
well, theres all kinds of sick, twisted and graphic pics like that on [url]www/url]

Link edited by Moderator, please PM user for the link.
Last edited by Don Sims; Jan 12, 2004 at 10:23 PM.
Jan 13, 2004, 12:08 AM
More Combat Please!
blueman,

I'd be really interested in hearing how your experiment goes. I use light wires to fly at night, and can't imagine this stuff glowing bright enough to see with your plane way up in the sky. Especially in the small quantities that they sell. You'd have to buy a lot of those little bottles to cover an entire flying wing.

But if it's bright enough, and you just painted the edges of your wings so you can see the outline, it'd be cool. The advantage is it wouldn't draw energy from your plane's batteries, or require an added battery & inverter like EL Wire does.

It's worth getting one of those little $12 bottles and at least painting a few edges and taking it out in the dark for a trial run.

Let us know how it goes!

Todd
Jan 13, 2004, 02:04 AM
Thread OP

thanks Todd

Thanks for your input, I really like the brilliance of the EL wire but I don't like the added weight of it all. When payday roles around I'll get some of this powder and get a new wave of nightfliers in the air. That would be pretty cool. We'll see how it turns out. The only picture on the website of the rocket looks to be very bright.
Jan 24, 2004, 12:13 AM
Thread OP

glow PCW

top side

Here are the results of my glow powder experiment. I ordered two one ounce bags of powder, Ultra green and ultra blue. Order total was $34(yikes). I applied the powder by spraying the wing with 3M77 adhesive and dusting the wing with powder. While doing this I put a large sheet of wax paper under the wing so I could reclaim what powder didn't stick to the glue. I put two layers of powder on the top and bottom. The brightness increased with each layer but I stopped at two to keep the weight at a minimum. I then sprayed a final coat of 3M77 and covered the wing with clear packing tape so I wouldn't diminish the light of the powder. The brightness is very intense for the first twenty seconds or so after charging the powder with a battery operated black light. It slowly dims but still appears to be a trackable brightness in the night sky. I will find out if it is visible during night flight this weekend(weather permitting). It lit up my whole laundry room in the dark. Flight report to come....
Last edited by blueman; Jan 24, 2004 at 12:27 AM.
Jan 24, 2004, 12:13 AM
Thread OP

glow PCW

bottom side
Jan 24, 2004, 12:14 AM
Thread OP

glow PCW

In the light, the colors appears white.
Jan 24, 2004, 02:30 AM
More Combat Please!
Very cool blueman! Thanks for the pics.

Kudos for braving the unknown on this one!

I can't wait to hear how it looks in flight.

Keep us posted!

Todd
Jan 24, 2004, 04:27 AM
More Combat Please!
BTW, if you want to see the new pics I just posted of my Unicorn with glowires, just head to the end of this thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=7

Todd
Jan 28, 2004, 02:28 AM
Have you flow at night yet with your PCW?
Jan 28, 2004, 09:59 AM
I like the Idea! Let us know how it goes!
Jan 28, 2004, 01:08 PM
Thread OP

weather

Have not had a chance to fly at night yet. the weather has not been cooperating. Will keep you posted.

Quick Reply