Sailing "On Spreckels Lake" - Events, Regattas & the SFMYC (kinda, sorta, maybe) - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 29, 2013, 02:43 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Was out at the Lake today, pulling all the buoys before the Lake went down.

Talked with Kenny. He had chatted earlier in the day with the gardeners and they said that their bosses had told them that the Lake would start draining sometime tomorrow.

That is the rumor anyway. We'll have to see what happens come tomorrow.
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
Kinda like it, but that would, again, be a Board decision if it is under Club colors.

Anything there would probably end up sooner or later the ORACLE Model Yacht Club - It's just Larry's way.... Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated by ORACLE. (Actually, if it flew, might be cool to have another Club in the Area....)

I have to agree, pretty cool site and lots of parking as well.
Craig,

I don't sail, r/c or full scale. I drive past this lake a couple of times a month. I'm not sure that it actually is suitable for r/c sailing competition. With all of the buildings and trees, there might not be enough wind.

I was suggesting it be explored (by SFMYC) as a possible alternate racing venue, should the repairs to Spreckels Lake take longer than expected.

Ken
May 29, 2013, 01:28 PM

down the drain?

..... any pictures, reports or is it still sail-able today? what do the turtles do for the summer.....?
sully
May 29, 2013, 02:29 PM
IF the 'seacocks' open to scuttle the Lake today, you probably have at least a couple of days worth of sailing before keels ground out. Never seen them drop the Lake from full (always saw it after it was dry...), but I have been told it by a couple of folks who were here for past drainages that it takes a bit under five days.

Gerry called this morning to say that it is still about three inches from capacity / overflow, ie about normal.

Only difference is you'll have to imagine virtual bouts on a virtual course as I pulled the real ones, Power and Sail yesterday. (Yeech!)

As for the turtles, (rumor alert) Ken says the Gardner said their bosses said they may leave a little pond out in the middle for the turtles and carp.
Last edited by craig_c; May 29, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Jun 01, 2013, 06:47 AM
wolfgang

back to where it started...

back in SF at the end of our holidays trip we had a special highlight, while we met these gentlemen, having their match race at veterans day.
That's what I call a match race!

Good luck in England,

and I hope, you get your water back soon!

36R Spreckels Lake SF (6 min 14 sec)

(If you are missing something, the Tx is the long stick in the sailors hand,
freesail racing - zero emission pleasure )
Last edited by tuppesw; Jun 01, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Jun 01, 2013, 11:05 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Nice video.
Jun 04, 2013, 04:43 AM
June Newsletter
Jun 04, 2013, 11:48 AM
Anyone know if the lake is dry now? Have the repairs started? Just curious. Ryan
Jun 05, 2013, 07:48 PM
They haven't pulled the level pipe from the drain yet. The level drop, though substantial by normal measure, is merely evaporation and thirsty seagulls, but it IS definitely down. Normal level is just about the turtle's eye. The Gardner for the area says he thinks they will pull the level pipe tomorrow...maybe.

Wednesday 5 June, 15:46hrs - The level is definitely down compared to normal below....

Water level at about normal on the concrete Turtle.... Wednesday, 15 May, 17:10

The level pipe is still in place over the overflow drain.
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 10, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Jun 10, 2013, 07:36 PM
The level pipe has been removed from the overflow-rain-drain (above) and the Lake level has dropped maybe an inch to an inch-and-a-half or so more on the Concrete Turtle from before and the overflow-drain openings are now exposed.

A slow-drain seems to have been opened as well.

The overflow-rain drainage point.

The slow-drain also appears to be open as well.
(right to left: Turtle, drain and 2-inch twig)

Andrew Lewis was out sailing with his new Laser yacht which gave me a good opportunity for a few nice shots. He says he stops by whenever he can now, even if it's just to catch 15 minutes on the Lake. Can't blame him, it was a beautiful late afternoon and sunset at the Lake today.

Last edited by craig_c; Jun 11, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Jun 11, 2013, 09:50 AM
Lets hope for speedy repairs. Ryan
Jun 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Water level has dropped about 9.25 inches / 23.5 centemeters from normal and another slow-drain pipe is in evidence on the surface of Turtle Cove.

Jun 12, 2013, 10:49 PM

Coots using part of the drain system for roosts.

Last edited by craig_c; Jun 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Jun 15, 2013, 10:57 PM
Thursday was another beautiful day...

The old Russian Gents Domino Game was out as always and
a couple of pretty girls waz takin' rayz, deep in discussion...

The crack is getting worse as the water recedes.

Quick Reply