Sailing "On Spreckels Lake" - Events, Regattas & the SFMYC (kinda, sorta, maybe) - Page 2 - RC Groups
May 12, 2013, 01:39 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Rec & Parks, when asked at another time, for another reason and by another person, stated that models are only permitted to run on Spreckels Lake out of the entire Parks system.

However, given the circumstances, we, the Club, are going to see what we can do vis--vis alternate locations for the duration of this 'drought.' This is particularly true in the cases of alternate venues for the AMYA National Championship Races for Infinity-54s which are scheduled for the 23rd through 25th of August and Santa Barbara O/D which are scheduled for 9th through 11th of September. We will be in touch with AMYA ASAP. Stay tuned to this space for further announcements. We will let you know as we find things out.
Last edited by craig_c; May 12, 2013 at 05:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
What a shame that this could not have been planned earlier in the year. I guess the club was not consulted??? Very disappointed to lose the sailing season. I guess Parks and Rec dept. does not understand that May thru September are prime sailing months. Lets hope that the club will have better communication in the future with Parks and Rec dept. Ryan
May 12, 2013, 10:34 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the first time anyone in the Club ( a singe Board member) knew anything was early last week then that word was passed to the rest Board on Saturday morning at the monthly meeting.

BTW, was out at the Lake today, the level looks to be down about three inches. I assume that the water inlet has been shut and evaporation is doing the rest.
Last edited by craig_c; May 13, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
May 13, 2013, 01:05 AM
Lets hope there will be water for the thursday informal sailing/racing. Two wheelers are planning test sails then. Ryan
May 14, 2013, 08:50 PM
As of about 20:40 this afternoon, the Lake had dropped maybe another quarter to half-an-inch, maybe, so little that I decided to leave the buoys out for people to play around with. There should be no issues on Thursday vis--vis the depth of the Lake and sailing.
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
May 15, 2013, 03:23 PM
Craig is there still water in the lake? Lookin forward to sailing tomorrow.
My Wheeler is ready to go and fully tweaked for now. Any word on alternate location for club events while lake is out of commission? Ryan
May 15, 2013, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor
Craig is there still water in the lake?
Yes, there is....

Monday, 13 May, 17:27 - note water level on the Concrete Turtle.

Water level is up on Turtle.... Wednesday, 15 May, 17:10

The level is back up a bit, maybe someone turned the taps back on or the float valve came unstuck.... The level is still a bit low, but nothing we aren't used to.

Quote:
Any word on alternate location for club events while lake is out of commission?
No, Ryan, not to my knowledge..... and as far as I know Mike S. and Rich S. are checking into alternatives.

A couple of folks have suggested the Foster City Lagoon and the waters down behind Oracle (ironically fitting...) both are salt water.
Last edited by craig_c; May 16, 2013 at 05:15 AM.
May 20, 2013, 10:37 PM
When is the lake being drained? Is Mike S. Plan being considered?
I was out of town this weekend racing my hobie 18. I will be out of town for the weekend racing a capri 22 at Whiskeytown Lake. Enjoy the lake while there is water. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; May 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
May 23, 2013, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2
Today when the Infinity 54's beer can racing began we were greeted with postings that the Lake will be closed beginning Tuesday, May 28 through (Tuesday) August 20th.

There goes our great good times for this summer. Good on the City for needed maintenance. Too bad that necessary work couldn't be done in the "off"-season.

See everyone on the Lake August 20th if not before (should repairs be completed ahead of schedule (ha?!)).
Thanks for the heads-up, Jerry.

Well, hopefully, they will be able to keep to schedule and maybe we might have the Lake filled in time for both sets of AMYA Nationals though admittedly the timing will be pretty tight for the I-54 NCRs starting 23 August. (Sorry - REALLY tight!!) We will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

And can we please lay off chewing on Rec & Parks and the local director - We remain on Spreckels Lake at least partially by their blessings and good will.

This repair needed to be done, they have the wherewithal to do it now, so it is happening. I am no happier about losing my boating season than anyone else in The Club but can we please stop biting the hand that maintains our venue lest we get the proverbial rolled newspaper across the snout.

That also let's me know I best get out on the Lake and retrieve the buoys early next week.

Last edited by craig_c; May 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
May 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Ahhh yes - government at it's finest. Sorry, but it is the public who pay for their wages and provide funding for the department who really do have the option to offer their opinions - as well as their dissatisfaction - especially in public in front of those who are elected.
May 27, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks very much we sailed on your lake for some practice before the IOM event and it was enjoyable the wind was'nt too bad,what has to be done has to be done so in time you'll get you water back and hopefully even better with bigger turtles.Where does the water for the pond come from? i had the impression we were we were high up .Thanks Peter
May 28, 2013, 12:05 PM
Craig, Rich S.,
Is board sanction needed for someone to look into getting permits for one or two events in foster city? Would that be a venue other sailors in the club would be intetested in? Ryan
May 29, 2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
Yes, there is....
A couple of folks have suggested the Foster City Lagoon and the waters down behind Oracle (ironically fitting...) both are salt water.
Why not the waters in front of Oracle? There is a pond in front of Oracle that is separate from the lagoon system. I don't know if it is fresh, or salt water. I do know that it is larger than Spreckels Lake, and that it is where Larry keeps his last Americas Cup yacht.

To see the pond/lake, go to Yahoo maps, search for the intersection of Marine Parkway, and Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA. On the upper right of the map there is a box that says MAP. Click the box and choose satellite, for a satellite image of the area. The boat at the dock in front of Oracle is the BMW / Oracle Americas Cup yacht. Gives a nice sense of scale to the pond, don't you think?

Larry Ellison is definitely into yacht racing, that ought to help grease a few wheels.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Barnes; May 29, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
May 29, 2013, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Craig, Rich S.,
Is board sanction needed for someone to look into getting permits for one or two events in foster city? Would that be a venue other sailors in the club would be intetested in? Ryan
If it were under our 'colors,' YES! You need to bring it to the Board.
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
May 29, 2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes
Why not the waters in front of Oracle? There is a pond in front of Oracle that is separate from the lagoon system. I don't know if it is fresh, or salt water. I do know that it is larger than Spreckels Lake, and that it is where Larry keeps his last Americas Cup yacht.
Kinda like it, but that would, again, be a Board decision if it is under Club colors.

Anything there would probably end up sooner or later the ORACLE Model Yacht Club - It's just Larry's way.... Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated by the ORACLE. (Actually, if it flew, might be cool to have another Club in the Area....)

I have to agree, pretty cool site and lots of parking as well.
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 01, 2013 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply