Apr 23, 2013, 05:35 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Thread OP
Question

FrSky Taranis - assimilating web info

I am new to r/c and have a couple of gliders (a 6 channel e-glider and a 2 channel slope flier). I would like to move to a computer radio for the e-glider (obviously little advantage aside from exponential control mapping for the 2 channel, but I would prefer to have 1 receiver bound to all models), but things get confusing following the internet information about the Taranis. This is what i have put together so far, and I am asking for confirmation/correction:

-Initial rumors were of a 9 channel receiver, but it will actually be 16 channels
-the difference with the Horus (aside from earlier release date) will be in quality of manufacture and materials in the transmitter. No of channels and features will be the same. Does anyone have any ideas what kind of difference eg plastic v magnesium?
-receivers will be 8,12 & 16 channel, with 12 channel longer range but no telemetry.
this gives rise to questions
-will there be an option of a micro-receiver with no bells and whistles to go in the 2 channel?
-what is duplex telemetry in the 16 channel? I was under the belief most of this r/c technology was duplex (bidirectional simultaneous transmission).
-what kind of info will the telemetry support? Asside from battery remaining, I would have thought the most useful info to a glider pilot would be airspeed, altitude and vertical accelerometer (an artificial horizon would be great too, but I guess this would require gyros/vacuum pumps, for which weight penalty would outweigh benefit). How would airspeed be measured?

Thank you for all your thoughts/knowledge.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2013, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshaz
...This is what i have put together so far, and I am asking for confirmation/correction:

-Initial rumors were of a 9 channel receiver, but it will actually be 16 channels
-will there be an option of a micro-receiver with no bells and whistles to go in the 2 channel?
-what is duplex telemetry in the 16 channel? I was under the belief most of this r/c technology was duplex (bidirectional simultaneous transmission).
-what kind of info will the telemetry support? Asside from battery remaining, I would have thought the most useful info to a glider pilot would be airspeed, altitude and vertical accelerometer (an artificial horizon would be great too, but I guess this would require gyros/vacuum pumps, for which weight penalty would outweigh benefit). How would airspeed be measured?

Thank you for all your thoughts/knowledge.
- Actually 32 channels in a special setup
- you can use the actual 2-3 grams 4-5 ch receivers in old PPM compatibility mode
- system is duplex, but uploading data was available for manufacturer only until now, the user can't upload data to the model, only download.
- no airspeed supported in current configuration, but, being an open system, you can add any moment your own sensor and modify the decoding/ display part of code, or ask the development team to do this for you.
Just curios, how do you want to use airspeed in a real flight, looking at the model ?
You might find interesting there is a vario/altitude sensor.
Apr 24, 2013, 03:51 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Thread OP
Thanks for your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Just curios, how do you want to use airspeed in a real flight, looking at the model ?
You might find interesting there is a vario/altitude sensor.
On downwind runs on stronger wind days, I think I am loosing too much altitude (trying to avoid stalling), if I could glance down an be happy I was a way off stall speed, I would give a little more nose up.
Jun 29, 2013, 12:06 AM
FrSky will have Telemetry voice so you won't have to look down at transmitter.

If you watch the videos it'll be much easier to follow.

When I looked at FrSky instructions,I was simply over-whelmed but after the videos,it's a very simple system.
You can work with a tx simulator on your computer,when your Taranis comes it'll function the same way.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1866206
The reffered product other may work too.
Nov 30, 2014, 08:01 PM
The ground is the limit!

Full House Glider Set Up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q4wz5cra1...house.zip?dl=0

This may be of some help.
Jun 03, 2015, 06:55 AM
Pantera .61 - Yeah Baby!
one stop shopping for info on Open TX/Taranis
http://open-txu.org
Jun 03, 2015, 12:40 PM
Taranis Tyro...
N2 Industies do an airspeed sensor...

http://www.t9hobbysport.com/n2-indus...rt-port-sensor
Jun 16, 2015, 10:30 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks

Micro RX

The VD5M is native micro Rx. Weighs 1.9 g according to my old analog scale, aND probably a significant precent age of that weight is the paper cover. It comes with pins & connector housings to make your connectors, but they are so micro I'm not sure my old hands and eyes can work them.

Edit: no telemetry on this micro.
Sep 10, 2015, 11:11 AM

Taranis X9D model screen shows dashes and boxes??

I just encountered something I have not seen before with the X9D+ Tx. One of the 3 model display screens (1 of 3 screens versions for the model can be selected see photo). All other models simply have dashes (like the photo of the QBF F22 Raptor) but my Hexcopter model display shows boxes and dashes??

Does anyone have any idea what these boxes are?

Also, many of the internet images I see show a string of numbers and the alphabet in place of these dashes, why is that?
Sep 10, 2015, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsrandd
I just encountered something I have not seen before with the X9D+ Tx. One of the 3 model display screens (1 of 3 screens versions for the model can be selected see photo). All other models simply have dashes (like the photo of the QBF F22 Raptor) but my Hexcopter model display shows boxes and dashes??

Also, many of the internet images I see show a string of numbers and the alphabet in place of these dashes, why is that?
They are the 32 logic switches status.

Mike
Sep 10, 2015, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsrandd

The internet images are of Taranises with older versions of the firmware.
Dashes represent unassigned logic switches. The empty box is an assigned logic that is not currently true (off) and when filled is true ( on).

Tom

Quick Reply