Oct 03, 2014, 08:40 PM
Nitro User
13.2k to 13.7k range up in down as he messed with it.. one time 14.36k
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2014, 09:59 PM
Fan of ultra Micro RC and FPV
Thread OP
I will try without baffle too once. This video was on a rich needle. Later I tried one with lean out when it hit 15500.
Oct 03, 2014, 10:25 PM
Nitro User
What type and size prop did you use?
Oct 04, 2014, 01:45 AM
There is no baffle in these mufflers in their stock form. I have fitted one in one of mine though to get a little more pressure to the tank.

It doesn't sound "happy" to me in the video. It does look like the latest model of the engine though and it ought to perform better. I haven't tried a 6x3.5 prop, but a on a 6x3 it should at least do around 18000rpm whereas the older version did about 16500rpm.
Oct 04, 2014, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
Mine is already come fitted with muffler baffle in the exhaust.
Yes this video it was not happy. Later with better H'S needle ran just fine. I am very happy now that it is at least running full tank without cutting out.

I am still not clear on how to set the air bleed screw. Have set it now where I can see the screw half way in the bleed. But the low RPM I am not able to go lower where it should matter. Is there any advantage to have air bleed in play.
Oct 04, 2014, 07:29 AM
The air bleed is here to compensate for the higher fuel delivery at lower rpm. You should definitely tune on it, you cannot just leave it at the center, especially if you have altered the hole in the throttle barrel. You set the airbleed to have good throttle response, if the engine hesitates it is set too lean while if the engine sputters it is set too rich. With the optimum setting is the engine runs a little rich, but has an immediate throttle response.

The running in the video seemed a little erratic to me, rather than just rich. This could mean that there is a leak somewhere. Check the backplate and head etc.

I have never seen any baffles in my engines, will have to take a closer look at the muffler that came with the latest one...
Oct 04, 2014, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Will definitely take note and tune on the Air bleed settings and check for leaks too.

My Exhaust opened and posted pics of the Baffle/ Muffler
Oct 04, 2014, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Oh did I forget to mention earlier. In the video the Glow pipe from the tank to the Engine was with ID of only an mm and a very thick wall which was also contributing to the throttling of fuel intake erratic run which I later changed to 2 mm ID glow pipe.

Now its response has tremendously improved. Will post a video of the latest run soon.
Oct 20, 2014, 07:55 PM
I love my .07 thunder tiger engines & would never trade or sell for any other small nitro engine. down the road will be making a twin .07 airplane.
Oct 22, 2014, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ractsaf
I love my .07 thunder tiger engines & would never trade or sell for any other small nitro engine. down the road will be making a twin .07 airplane.
Sounds like you haven't tried a Norvel .074 then...?
Once you try a Norvel engine, the rest just seems a bit too heavy and low on power.
Oct 22, 2014, 09:45 AM
Rudder Only Lover
If an engine is easy starting, reliable and matches the airframe, at least for me that is all that matters.
Oct 22, 2014, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr
If an engine is easy starting, reliable and matches the airframe, at least for me that is all that matters.
Well, that's basically the points where the older model would fail...

It is hard to hand start and there is not enough space for a springs starter, it will easily overheat in the air (i.e. not reliable) and low on power for it's weight (makes it hard to find a matching airframe).
Oct 22, 2014, 03:11 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris
Well, that's basically the points where the older model would fail... It is hard to hand start and there is not enough space for a springs starter, it will easily overheat in the air (i.e. not reliable) and low on power for it's weight (makes it hard to find a matching airframe).
Ah, but age sometimes prevails along with light weight. I love my 1960's version OS Max 10R/C cross scavenge mufflerless with exhaust baffle plate engine. It only weighs 3 ounces, has no spring stater, is easy starting by hand flipping, and produces considerably more power than an .049, ditto goes for my Enya 09-III TV, both with the correct prop. Enya is a touch heavier including the muffler but swings a wood 7x6 prop with ease.

Getting back to the TT GP-07, some seem to have great success with, others not. It is a sport engine, for sport use. There are other factors, was highly rated by Randy Randolph, and as a sport engine it has its place. Even a Gilbert .074 Thunderhead has its place.
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Oct 22, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:33 PM
Do you have any personal experience with these engines?

I haven't read Randolph's test but there is a loooong thread on RCU here; close-look-gp-07-thunder-tiger

I have described my findings and fixes to the problems near the end of that thread (around post #264 and onwards).
In the later models several of these problems are fixed, including a better material in the piston.
Oct 25, 2014, 08:39 AM

Tt.07

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris
Sounds like you haven't tried a Norvel .074 then...?
Once you try a Norvel engine, the rest just seems a bit too heavy and low on power.
I have no problem with my TT.07s...I have Norvel,but I like Thunder Tiger GP .07 better

Quick Reply