May 02, 2013, 06:36 AM
Thread OP
im contemplating what power setup i should use for this plane. i dont have too much experience with different motors or props.

i'll have about 16-17cm of distance between the two props, so i think a 6x or a 5x prop should be ideal. would you have any thoughts?
either this http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ting_6pc_.html
or this
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ting_6pc_.html

as for the motors, i was thinking just a couple of simple 1300kv motors, maybe something like this
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...er_1300kv.html

I doubt it'd draw much current (i could be wrong) so i was thinking a couple of 18A esc's would be good

I plan to have this running off either my 1300mah 3s battery or my 2200 3s battery.

What do you guys think?
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2013, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
i'm thinking of putting some retracts in this. i've done a quick mockup of how i think they should work, what do you think?
May 04, 2013, 02:51 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle4
i'm thinking of putting some retracts in this. i've done a quick mockup of how i think they should work, what do you think?
What locks them in place in the down position? The servo won't hold them by itself.
May 04, 2013, 02:56 PM
Isaiah 40:31
That's pretty cool, which program did you use to generate that image?

I did a 3d model rendering of the landing gear retracts...darned if I can find it now...the scale version...if your interested, looked like they operated like a dc-3.

rc
May 04, 2013, 03:04 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
I've had several of those little motors, and they're great.

Any idea yet of how heavy your plane will be? I'm not at all sure about 6" props on it. Note the recommended 8" prop for those motors. Since you have a space restriction, you may want to think about 3-bladed props.
May 04, 2013, 08:59 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
You'd do better to have the servo arm in-line with the push-rod when the gear is down.
That way the servo will not have any rotational force applied from shocks on the landing gear.
May 05, 2013, 08:12 AM
treefinder
what whiskers said!
May 05, 2013, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
rc capo, i used 3dsmax. it only took me about 3 minutes to do, thats why it doesnt look too snazzy. maybe next time i'll put more effort into it.

Depronicus, no idea of the final weight yet, i am hoping to keep it under 800 grams though, but who knows, that could be wishful thinking. only time will tell, yeah i saw that the motors have a recomeded 8 inch prop, i've been doing a bunch of research and have come up with bugger all on what motor and prop combo i should be going with.

Whiskers, Thanks for that sugestion, i'll definately have to do that, I think i may also put a V bend in the landing struts, to absorb some of the shocks of landing, just so i can have a little less strain on the servo and my internal mounts.

Anyone have any other sugestions on powersupply and prop selection?

Thanks for ya advice everyone, its really appreciated
May 12, 2013, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
I marked out and cut off some sections of the front where I could glue my motor mounts. This was nerve racking, as I didn't want to much up my fuselage that I am so proud of. The nose feels quite strong, not sure if i'll need some extra reinforcing though. we'll see.

I also added a piece of bbq skewer to the leading edge of the stabiliser, this is purely for strength and rigidity.

I then started making my wings. I had two 0.5 inch wide spars that i laid along side of the dowel. i then laid a 1.5 inch piece over the top, the 1.5 inch piece had its paper removed so it could bend to wrap around the dowel. I didn't run the spars all the way to the wing-tip as I wouldn't have had enough space in front of it to bend up the front. I measured halfway between the spar and my fold line and removed the paper from that mark all the way to the other side of the top half. my plan was to have a tapered wing that had the aerofoil change along its length. I figured this might help the plane. who knows. this is still kind of an experiment

The dowel rod in each wing is removable, my plan is to have a 1m long removable spar through both wings and the fuselage, that should remove any weak points, as my original plan was to have each wing have its own dowel spar and join them in the middle.

I put a hold in each side of the fuselage and popped the wings on as a test.

my next step is to add a small piece of gift card the back of the wing and cut a small corresponding slot in the fuselage, this way it'll stop the wings from twisting at the gift card slots into the slot. I also am going to make some struts to go from the wing to the fuselage, i've worked out a simple locking mechanism for them. should be simple, easy and not too heavy. fingers crossed it worked.
May 12, 2013, 10:51 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Little sidebar...

Update on the CB-Y 3 at NEAM. Burnelli's last known example as well at the last plane he built.

http://bit.ly/14gsGWh

Looks like they're finally getting started with restoration.

Will wait and see.

Your UB-14 Looks good...still trying to frame up my fuse...a lot of options..and a lot of fun.

rc
May 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
Thread OP
Not much done this weekend. I finished the wings. I cut in the ailerons and the flaps, and added the servos. I built some wingstruts out of bbq skewers, tape and gift cards. they attach to the fuselage with my simple latch design, this does a good job of holding the wing from flying off, and to adding some extra strength to the plane. i may need some extra strength to help hold the wings securely attached, but we'll see how that goes.

Hopefully by next weekend my motors and final elecronics will arrive. so fingers crossed i should be able to get this finished next weekend
May 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
Bit of a digression But these Miles Machines are interesting as well
Last edited by Bare; May 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM.
May 27, 2013, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Well the motors arrived, along with the rest of the electronics. I've installed everything, and the CG is pretty much right on the spar, I'm hoping this is correct, I'll get around to doing some glide testing soon before i take her up for her first flight. the two 6x3 counter rotating props have about 1.5cm clearance between them. I have some 6x4's but they are not counter rotating, i'll give it a go on the 6x3s first, might upgrade to the 6x4s, we'll see. All up the weight is 774 grams., I'm thinking about building some landing gear for this too, not sure if i'll do my retracts design just yet, i just want to get this into the air, and it'd be tough to hand launch as you cant really grab the fuselage in one hand, like a standard tubular type fusealge.

I present to you, my Burnelli UB-14
May 31, 2013, 10:20 PM
MSI
MSI
Whoaaa, looks sharp. A maiden video, would give things a great prospective.
Jul 20, 2013, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
wow, ok, so lots of life and bad weather got in the way of me giving this a maiden. i actually had 3 planes to maiden on the same day, here is the video of them all

3 planes, 3 maidens (18 min 3 sec)

Skip to 8:06 to see my Burnelli UB-14

I would really like your options on it. I need help with it, you'll see why pretty clearly in the video

Quick Reply