Apr 21, 2013, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Burnelli UB-14

Hey gang, for many years i've been fascinated by the lifting body fuselage designs by Burnelli, and I've recently decided to give it a crack at building one of them. I'm going to be making the Burnelli UB-14.

This is what Its hopefully going to look like

I made some thin strips of foam to design the aerofoil for the fuselage, took a couple of goes until i was happy. The plan is to have the fuselage 20cm wide, and as long as i could get it with 30 inches of foamboard.

I then cut my plans out, the fuselage sides fold up using an A style fold like the ones flitetest uses (or is it a B style...) I then covered the outside of the fuselage in packing tape like Ed from Experimental Airlines, I should have done this first. oops

Started glueing the sides up and bending the foam.

It was tough getting it glued in one go, but I managed. and I present to you the start of my fuselage.

After a lot of playing with numbers and sizes i came up with a shape for my wing, its going to be tapered, but not nearly as tapered as the real one. my tip chord is almost twice what it is ment to be. i figured the extra wing area cant hurt the wing dimensions are 20cm root chord, 10cm tip chord and 40cm length per wing. I made a template which helped me draw it onto the foam

The wings drawn onto the foam. On top of my dimensions above I added some ailerons and flaps, the depth of which is that of my ruler, so just over 1 inch

My wing pannels cut out and taped on the other side

The next steps are to get some tube and some dowel rods. my plan is to have the wings removable, for easy transport. i plan to mount a carbon tube inside the fuselage and have wooden dowels in the wings which can plug into the tube. (unless you guys have a much better idea for me.

Then I'll build the tail booms and the rest of the tail. I plan to cut out two notches out of the nose of the fuselage so i can mount some wooden motor mounts. Any advice is appreciated. as this is my first plane where i'm really just working it out as I go
Last edited by eagle4; Apr 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added pic of what i hope it'll look like
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2013, 09:56 AM
MSI
MSI
Subscribed. I am looking forward to how this turns out.
Apr 22, 2013, 12:32 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Subscribed as well.

I'll be totally transparent here...I am a Burnelli nerd since the 1990's when I read an article on him in Air Journal (?) Been so long I forgot the title of the mag!

Since then I was able to suggest the story to the news department at the TV station I was working at:

(5 min 45 sec)

Made a few 3d models, here is one of the UB-14:

Burnelli UB14 Red Devil (0 min 30 sec)

And am building a "What if" version using up to date materials.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1400707

I've been on hiatus until the last few weeks. Was learning sketchup to see if I could pre build in 3d before I started cutting foam.

rc
Apr 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
rc_capo I found out about Burnelli planes from an article i read when i was younger in a newspaper. I remember getting in touch with the journalist and he put me in touch with Slick Goodlin himself. as a kid this was awesome. I'm curious to hear how your What If plane goes. I hope I can finish this UB-14 and have it fly as a Burnelli should. I've only been building planes for a few months now, and mainly based upon plans from Flitetest and following along with Ed from experimental airlines. so far I've built 3 planes, I'm imagining some shoddy workmanship will creep into this build.
Apr 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
MSI
MSI
I read somewhere, i will try to find it - that they had a weird lift problem in a high angle of attack. That they stalled due to heavy lift created by the body, and less by the wings, thus the body stalled until it could recover. Dont quote me on this...i will try to chick my statement here. Still a great aircraft.
Apr 22, 2013, 07:08 PM
Depends on who you talk to about flying his airplanes. Slick, Clyde Pangborn, and another officer from USAF procurement (I can't recall his name) loved them.

I remember reading about a test flight in Miami where the test pilot felt the CBY-3 was going to flip over.

I met Chalmers after the news department finished the news piece. Nice guy...amazing life.

He hooked me up with a gentleman who is writing the Burnelli Biography. I've read a few rough drafts...would make a great movie. Tesla came to mind when I was reading the manuscript. Burnelli was a quiet genius.

I stalled, not pun intended, last year on my what if version-but have time now. Don't know how I want to do the inner structure. I have a few different plans to choose from. I'm going to try and use sketchup to on the build.

One thing I'm excited to try is the full fuselage flap. You can see it on the Cunliffe version coming in for a landing.

http://www.aircrash.org/burnelli/images/oa1_v0.jpg

rc
Last edited by rc capo; Apr 22, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: no major reason
Apr 22, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
full fuselage flap?! i must have missed that from looking at all his pictures (i've defintely seen that picture before) hmm... maybe i could incorporate that in my design... hmmm or maybe thats just getting too complicated. might have to keep it in mind for future upgrades
Apr 22, 2013, 08:53 PM
Water Musicano built a model Burnelli transport 60 ~ years ago :-)
Plan /article attached
Last edited by Bare; May 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Apr 22, 2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks-i think that was the first one I built out of stick n tissue
Apr 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
MSI
MSI
Bingo on those plans!! Would def help in the build. Lets see some more pictures of this build.
Apr 23, 2013, 12:39 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Fascinating. I had never heard of Burnelli or seen one of his planes. Great idea. Good luck on your build.
Apr 23, 2013, 09:33 AM
old foamie
I always liked his designs , you always wondered whatif with them. I have two picts of two ww-2 bomber and transport ideas he had, and a Bill Barnes cover, with a neat paint scheme and a c&o british version, built in '39, it gave great service during the war.
Apr 25, 2013, 07:32 AM
MSI
MSI
I wonder how the CG was obtained on the first image by old fomie. Maybe the 4 engines compensated the tail weight. I figure it still has to fly with some down trim aka tail heavy?
Apr 25, 2013, 10:56 AM
Build a chuck glider and find out.
Apr 29, 2013, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
I did some more work on the plane this weekend, this time I was working on the tail section, as I'm still sourcing parts for the wings and the way i'll mount them.

i drew up a template for the tail boom sections and cut them out, i figured two pieces of foam should be strong enough for this tail (i guess only time will tell). on the inner pieces of the tail boom i added a couple of little tabs that line up to some new holes i put in the fuselage, i figured this would help with alligning them and keeping it in place.

I cut out the horizontal stabiliser and because i am horrible at cutting/drawing round corners i decided to go with some straight edges. (so sue me)

I did the same for the verticle stabilisers. my plan is to not have rudder control on this plane so the rudders are just drawn on

Once I built my tail assembly I've put it asside for now, I dont plan on glueing it onto the fuselage until much later. I figure it will be a ton easier to mount the motors and the wings without having a delicate tail boom section sticking out the back, just waiting for me to break it.

Quick Reply