April 21, 2013 Fly-In - RC Groups
Apr 21, 2013, 04:31 PM
Close enough
Gallery

April 21, 2013 Fly-In

We had a fantastic turn-out today with 14 members including Alfredo, Art, Jack, Jerry, Jim, John, Marc, Mark, Pat, Ray G, Ray M, Ross, Ruben, and Tom. And thanks to Ross, access to our field was much easier via the airport side gate.

The skies were blue and the temps were nice. But the winds were quite variable at 7 to 8 mph with 10 to 12 mph gusts. Though there were periods, especially towards noon, when the winds were near calm.

Lots of guys put planes in the air. And a few guys were there to tune gassers and taxi. There are some big, beautiful planes to be maidened at a fly-in soon!

Marc
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
Close enough

Pat's Spy Hawk

Pat brought his Spy Hawk to maiden this morning. This is an FPV (first person video) ready to fly plane with auto-pilot. The plane sends a real time video signal to a monitor on the transmitter so you see what the plane sees.

The plane also has an auto-pilot which attempts to keep the plane stabilized in all three axis of pitch, roll and yaw. That made for an interesting first flight when test pilot Ross was giving full input the plane was just flying low and level in a very wide turn until the throttle was cut. After the auto-pilot was disengaged the little plane took control input well.

It also has the ability to record the video image in an on-board memory card for later playback. Unfortunately, we didn't end the recording properly after landing and the video file was corrupted. But I'm sure Pat will get some good video at our next outing.

Marc
Apr 21, 2013, 05:04 PM
Close enough

Marc's Tiger Moth

I brought my Tiger Moth to maiden. This was an old Gee Bee Products kit from the Ed Bush auction. Bet you thought I'd never get this done! It was designed for a .25 to .35 glow but I put in a 170g 870kV electric motor spinning an 11x5.5 prop. The battery is a 2200 mAh 3S. The power feels just about right for this vintage plane.

After some help from Pat getting the motor thrust angle correct, it flew quite nicely. I'd like a little more aileron authority, but it was a stable flier and flew like other dihedral rudder/elevator/throttle planes I have.

Thanks to Mark for taking the in-air photos.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Apr 21, 2013 at 05:58 PM.