My DX6i won't bind to my RX!!! HELP - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 20, 2013, 09:56 PM
Model Aviator
Help!

My DX6i won't bind to my RX!!! HELP

I just recently got a DX6i for my birthday and I bought an AR500 on eBay used to put in my Tower Trainer so I could fly it with the NEW DX6i. I tried to bind the AR500 to my DX6i and it would not bind. It would complete the regular binding thing that it does when the RX blinks in a certain pattern, but when I tried to do the thing that you would do when binding to an Ultra-Micro. What I mean by that is when you get an ultra micro, first you do the binding process, then after you get that done and fly the plane, you can turn the plane off first and then the radio so that when you fly again, all you have to do is turn on the radio then the plane. And that's what I did.

Do any of you follow? (Because I'm lost already! haha)

Anyhoo,
When I did that to the plane, It did not bind.
I tried to re-bind it several times with no success.
But it would bind to my friends DX6i.

A few days later:
I tried to bind it to my MCX2 and it did. It worked perfectly.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!

Why will it bind to my MCX2 and not my AR500 or my OrangeRx RX???

You would think that the RX is okay because it bound to my friends DX6i.
And you would think that the DX6i is okay because it bound to my MCX2.

If anybody followed me here PLEASE help me figure this out!

Is my radio bad? If so, I can't return it because I got it from my Dad for my birthday last year AND it was from eBay. It was new in the box, and it was bought from a certified Spektrum retailer, so it's legit.

I hope that we can figure this out.

Thanks,
Toby
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2013, 02:46 AM
Toby, if it binds to the MCX2 then it shows the Dx6i is going into bind mode, things to check are

i) You have plugged the power supply in the right way round in the Rx (don't ask I've done this and wondered why it wouldn't bind)
ii) you Rx battery is well charged
iii) Bind plug is in the bind socket, if you are using a 3 switch into the battery/bind socket then the 3rd cable on the charging line from the switch may not be connected to the bind pin if it's not a Spektrum switch, I always bind by plugging bind plug directly in to the bind socket and attaching a Rx battery to another channel.
iv) you have a little distance, say 3-6ft, between Tx and Rx otherwise the signal maybe too strong.

Once bound switch off, remove the bind plug and switch on again and it all should work.
Apr 21, 2013, 02:16 PM
Model Aviator
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Toby, if it binds to the MCX2 then it shows the Dx6i is going into bind mode, things to check are

i) You have plugged the power supply in the right way round in the Rx (don't ask I've done this and wondered why it wouldn't bind)
ii) you Rx battery is well charged
iii) Bind plug is in the bind socket, if you are using a 3 switch into the battery/bind socket then the 3rd cable on the charging line from the switch may not be connected to the bind pin if it's not a Spektrum switch, I always bind by plugging bind plug directly in to the bind socket and attaching a Rx battery to another channel.
iv) you have a little distance, say 3-6ft, between Tx and Rx otherwise the signal maybe too strong.

Once bound switch off, remove the bind plug and switch on again and it all should work.
Ok.

I understand 1,2 and 4, but what are you talking about "3 switch" and stuff?
I'm completely lost on that...
Apr 21, 2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Rice
Ok.

I understand 1,2 and 4, but what are you talking about "3 switch" and stuff?
I'm completely lost on that...
Opps, I meant to say 3 lead power switch lwhere one lead goes to the Rx, one to the Rx Battery and the 3rd is used for charging/binding, like this https://www.electricwingman.com/prod...x?product=1548 but the charge lead is only set up for binding if it is Spektrum specific, if you are not using a switch then it's irrelevant.

Hope you've resolved the problem.
Apr 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
Toby,

I suggest you return the AR500 to Spektrum's Support group and explain that it's not binding to your transmitter.

Start here: http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...service-center

Andy
Apr 21, 2013, 05:23 PM
Model Aviator
Ok Thanks Guys!

I'll see what I can do.
The problem is still not over so anybody else that reads this post,
replying to this post will help!
Apr 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Model Aviator
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Opps, I meant to say 3 lead power switch lwhere one lead goes to the Rx, one to the Rx Battery and the 3rd is used for charging/binding, like this https://www.electricwingman.com/prod...x?product=1548 but the charge lead is only set up for binding if it is Spektrum specific, if you are not using a switch then it's irrelevant.

Hope you've resolved the problem.
Ok Thanks!

It would not work WHEN I DID that.
Apr 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
Model Aviator
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Toby,

I suggest you return the AR500 to Spektrum's Support group and explain that it's not binding to your transmitter.

Start here: http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...service-center

Andy
Hi Andy!
I would do that but 1st of all, I got the RX off of eBay used, so they may not take it in.
Secondly, the RX works. My friend bound it to his DX6i.

I just want to know why the DX6i will bind to my MCX2, but not my AR400 or my OrangeRx RX.
Apr 21, 2013, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Hi Andy!
I would do that but 1st of all, I got the RX off of eBay used, so they may not take it in.

I just want to know why the DX6i will bind to my MCX2, but not my AR400 or my OrangeRx RX.
Try to see if you can bind when you bring your Tx and Rx very close to each other.

JH
Apr 22, 2013, 08:04 AM
Model Aviator
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H.
Try to see if you can bind when you bring your Tx and Rx very close to each other.

JH
Ok. I'll try it a bit later....

I'll get back to you on that.

Thanks!
Apr 22, 2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Hi Andy!

Then send in the tx, the AR500, and the AR400.

Andy
Apr 22, 2013, 09:50 AM
Model Aviator
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Then send in the tx, the AR500, and the AR400.

Andy
Oops!

I meant to say AR500.
I don't have a 400. I must have typed it in wrong...

Why should I send in the RXs and the TX?
Aug 15, 2013, 12:47 PM
Model Aviator
Ok so this has been silent for a long time now.

But good news! I sent it to horizon hobby and they got it fixed for free due to the warranty.

Thanks for all your help!
Aug 15, 2013, 01:45 PM
There is the answer to your "why" question. Horizon's service department is very good and typically charges nothing!
Jul 08, 2014, 04:13 PM

This is what worked for me

I see this is an old thread with a resolution. I'm only posting this because it might help someone else down the line.

I got a used DX6i transmitter (I already owned another). It seemed to function great, but would not bind to 3 or 4 different receivers I tried it with (various models of OrangeRx receivers.) I tried a number of binding variations (close the the antenna, far, sequences, clearing memories, etc.) No luck. I also tried a sequence I read about for binding a small helicopter with a built-in receiver. That did not work, but I tried a variation of that, and it did! Here it is...

- Turn the transmitter off. Power off the receiver.
- Set all of the transmitter switches to 0 (zero) setting.
- Put the bind jumper on the receiver, and power it up. (You should have a rapidly flashing light.)
- Power on the transmitter with the bind switch on, AND the aileron full right.
- Hold both the switch and the stick until it binds (in my case, within 10 seconds)
- Release both the bind switch and stick.
- Pull the bind jumper on the receiver
- Turn off receiver and transmitter.
- Turn both back on. See if it's still bound.

Note: In the original heli procedure it suggested full right rudder, but that was for a heli, and don't know which stick that is for heli. To clarify, I used the right stick on the transmitter when binding. Maybe try the left stick, if no luck with right. This is a variation from the helifreak thread 430787.

After binding once this way, the DX6i now binds "normally" for every receiver I've tried it with (i.e. no longer requires the stick to the right). I don't know what the stick position does, but it did something for me. The transmitter was on the DSMX setting (where I've always had it).

Good luck. Safe flying.

Quick Reply