PuRES - a 2 mtr RES Sailplane (Germany) - RC Groups
Apr 17, 2013, 12:36 AM
Discussion

PuRES - a 2 mtr RES Sailplane (Germany)

Hi there,

Thanks to Phillip Kolb and Stefan Siemens beginning with 2011 the 2 m RES class started to swap from Turkey to Germany. It was a big discussion here with the competition rules, and the description of the sailplane. But finally mostly the turkish model was applied. It is only allowed to use glass / carbon for the nose, the spars and the boom and wing-joiners. All other parts must be made of wood.
The class started with 3-4 competitions last year, this year we have more than 10. Thats quite impressive.
I love this class a lot. I think originally it was made for beginners, but my observation is, that even very experienced pilots from F3J are participating, and we all had (and will have) a lot of fun!
Beside some commercial constructions especially for RES there were made about 10-12 "custom designs" over the last months!

One of these is my "PuRES".
After finally one year of development and tryout I reached the target.
2 m wingspan, AG35-AG36 airfoil, V-Tail, 490 g weight, 13,5 g/dm2 wingload.
You can see some details (in German language) on my blog
http://pures-v2.blogspot.de

There is also a video with the first setup flights, and highstarts from last weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSEqUdv_IU

Lets see how it will compete this year (unfortunately this depends mainly on me )
Special thanks to Mark Drela for his AG3* airfoil series!

Greets
Josef / Dachau - Germany

to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
Very pretty - and impressively light. Nice job.

Dale.
Apr 18, 2013, 12:56 PM
Very impresive hand launch.
Very floaty and very nice.
thanks for video
boris
Apr 18, 2013, 05:57 PM
Impressive indeed and nice video! I'd be interested to see this flying head-to-head with an allegro-lite (the original AG3x airfoiled glider IIRC). You seem to be getting rather good flying performance, but without the D-tube sheeting, fancy spar or other harder-to-build aspects of Dr. Drela's design.

P.S. Those drill angle guides you used for the v-tail and wing bolts are a great idea. I'll try to remember about that.
Last edited by ieyasu; Apr 18, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Apr 19, 2013, 08:50 AM
Very nice flying airplane. If Philip doesn't' get the Miles back in production soon, he will loose market share.
Aug 09, 2013, 06:47 PM
Nice Plane! I was wondering if you had any plans for the PuRES? Did you have the parts lazer cut or did you scratch build everything? Amazing! Thanks, Roel
Aug 09, 2013, 07:50 PM
Loopie/Zoomie ≠ Soaring
Last edited by superskeg; Oct 11, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Aug 10, 2013, 01:53 AM
A very nice glider. It remind's me of the 2vix2m glider that was a plan's feature build in RCM&E magazine. It utilized a S-7037 and I've recently thought about using a S-4083 because it's one of my personal favorites. I made a one piece fuse using a pool cue for a mandrel and it worked out great. I wish you the best with your design. By any chance are plan's available for it?
Aug 12, 2013, 12:29 AM
Plans and a laser cut kit are available from Seppale. This thing appears to fly quite nicely, from what I've read on the German forum.
Aug 12, 2013, 12:00 PM

Kit

Hi all,
thanks for your interests. Sorry for my late reply, but I think I have to optimize my board settings, because I don't get a email for new posts in this thread ...

From time to time I'm making some complete kits for RES 2 M thermal enthusiasts.
There are no plans available separately.
All parts are cutted by a cnc router (not lasered). The carbon tubes are also hand made by me. They are really stiff, lightwight and torsion-aware.
E.g. the carbon tube for the center panel is 800 mm long, 13 mm dia., and its weight is abt. 20-22 g.
In this season my PURES is quite successive an won already 3 of 5 RES competitions - of course the pilot plays still the most important role but even with my very restricted flying skills it was possible to fly some 1000 in the groups, and to get a result in the middle field ...
There are another 2 owing competitions in the "Bavarian Open Series". The top RES guys are performing really impressive and they are head to head. I'm quite curious about the total.

Here are 2 pictures from the last RES competition in Dachau (GER).
There is also a video with some impressions on vimeo. Beginning with 03:07 you see Gert (winner) with highstart and landing-performance.

RES-Wettbewerb Dachau 2013 (4 min 17 sec)

Regards
Josef
Aug 13, 2013, 12:11 AM
beautiful craftsmanship. I'm interested, if you want to sell kits again.
Aug 13, 2013, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevo
beautiful craftsmanship. I'm interested, if you want to sell kits again.

Me too. Maybe we could arrange a group buy here in the USA.
Aug 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
Chess club geek with wings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV
Me too. Maybe we could arrange a group buy here in the USA.
I'm interested as well!
Aug 16, 2013, 08:06 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Oh geez...don't tempt me like that!
Aug 20, 2013, 08:12 AM
G'day all

I have had an exchange of emails last week with Josef and he made it clear that cutting kits is something he does part time from at home and if you want to obtain a kit you have to wait in line.
I have been following his progress in the German RES competition which is a near carbon copy of the Turkish competition .The Turks can have 60+ competitors pitching up at the airfield.(very impressive) What I like about this comp is that young and old have the same chance to be on the podium and that competitors are able to build their own planes and not spend $ to be #1.

Josef however reminded me that a very similar kit is available from Hoeleine in Germany.

http://www.hoelleinshop.com/Models-H...=12438&p=12438

This kit is of the highest quality when it comes to wood selection and laser cutting.(on the shelf in my hanger) Plans are CAD drawn and has top notch hardware. The kit is also available in electric motor version.This kit is a direct response from a manufacturer to the new interest in RES competition and building of RES gliders.(some good reviews on the page)
The owner of the shop is very helpful and is the very same person that deals with your transaction or enquiry.

Hope this is of help

TW