Apr 16, 2013, 12:22 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Brushless Gimbal Motor 3.2kg of torque, too good to be true?

I am in the process of building a heavy duty gimbal for myself, i have been research motors and came across this. Does it sound too good to be true?

The information i could get is:

Wire: 0.17mm
Ω Ri :15.2ohm
24 slots
18 poles
100 turns
Weight: 140g

Link
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
Who makes them? Do you have a link?
Apr 16, 2013, 01:36 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Let's start from simple things...
Why do you need such torque at all? 30kg payload? 50kg payload?
Apr 16, 2013, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
Let's start from simple things...
Why do you need such torque at all? 30kg payload? 50kg payload?
2-5kg Camera Setup, this motor will be used to power 2 axis gimbal
Apr 16, 2013, 03:07 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
Originally Posted by natious
2-5kg Camera Setup, this motor will be used to power 2 axis gimbal
Then why so big and heavy motors?
Use something light and simple, carefull balancing is the key (and no, even strong motors won't hold unbalanced setup). You do not need > 3kg holding torque for 5kg camera...
Apr 16, 2013, 04:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Then why so big and heavy motors?
Use something light and simple, carefull balancing is the key (and no, even strong motors won't hold unbalanced setup). You do not need > 3kg holding torque for 5kg camera...
Are you suggesting the current 1.2kg motors will be fine? This will be for a hand held gimbal, not attached to a multicopter.
Apr 16, 2013, 05:28 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
Are you suggesting the current 1.2kg motors will be fine? This will be for a hand held gimbal, not attached to a multicopter.
You do not need 1.2kg motors for 5kg setup also.
Again, check what's motor torque in current gopro/nex gimbal setups, you will see that motors have low torque - so you need to balance gimbal.
Do you tested any brushless gimbal before?
Apr 16, 2013, 06:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
You do not need 1.2kg motors for 5kg setup also.
Again, check what's motor torque in current gopro/nex gimbal setups, you will see that motors have low torque - so you need to balance gimbal.
Do you tested any brushless gimbal before?
A gopro weights 350 grams, a nex 5 is 500 grams, I dont see how a gimbal system for that weight could work on a camera thats 3000grams
Apr 16, 2013, 06:55 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
A gopro weights 350 grams, a nex 5 is 500 grams, I dont see how a gimbal system for that weight could work on a camera thats 3000grams
So WHAT?
Did you checked motors used in gopro and nex gimbals? How much torque they have?
I see you're ignoring simple questions on purpose... So no problems, go build your own overpowered gimbal for 5kg payload from scratch, why even ask for advice? ;-)
Apr 16, 2013, 08:37 AM
Because the gimbal is very carefully balanced meaning that the camera will come to rest at any position it is put in and will not move away from that position. This means that the torque to move the gimbal in any direction is very small as it only has to overcome friction and not the out of balance forces of the gimbal.

If the camera and gimbal were not balanced then the motor torque would have to overcome the out of balance force which will vary and be dependant on how out of balance it is.

Peter
Quote:
Apr 16, 2013, 01:09 PM
INAV
Where did you get this value of "3.2kg of torque", I don't see it in the specs above.

Just asking, and I don't want to sound picky, but since the unit of torque is a force per a length (N.m), it all depends of the levers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
Apr 16, 2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.maximus-racing.com/fr/maxicopters/w4822.html Are you talking about this?
Apr 16, 2013, 07:02 PM
James not bond
the torque is only applied under 2 conditions

1. assist inertial rotation. big mass=big inertia >> friction affects less >> less torque needed to assist

2. lock in place. a well balanced gimbal should stay at any angel without any additional force once it stops

conclusion.. spend more time on gimbal structural analysis worth a lot more than making a freaking big useless motor...
Apr 17, 2013, 06:59 PM
Jack
The maker of that motor does not advertise any torque ratings (and no other motor makers do either for that matter). Can you explain how the torque was measured?

Gimbal Brushless Motor >> BGM4114-100 - http://www.dys.hk/ProductShow.asp?ID=210

Jack
Apr 18, 2013, 09:58 PM
Thread OP
I was talking with the manufacture and that's what they told me, i believed they meant it can be used with a camera of up to 3.2kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
The maker of that motor does not advertise any torque ratings (and no other motor makers do either for that matter). Can you explain how the torque was measured?

Gimbal Brushless Motor >> BGM4114-100 - http://www.dys.hk/ProductShow.asp?ID=210

Jack

Quick Reply