Apr 15, 2013, 02:40 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

The WLToys V212 review (accelerometer-equipped V949)

**********IMPORTANT INFORMATION**********
Some of the V212 and V222 owners are experiencing the following problem
-loss of signal/control, usually location based, especially in areas with high wifi/communications signals

WLToys has told me the issue is solved from the current batch onwards

But I will personally fly to the WLToys factory on in Southern China to find out the following:

1. What improvements have been made, if any, and how to identify them (version number etc).

2. Pull a couple of samples from the line for real world testing

3. Discuss fixes that the user can perform to units that do not have said improvement

Until then, I suggest those who live in highly urbanized areas to wait for the newer improved versions, as that environment seems to affect the quads the most.

**********end of notice**********

The WLToys V212 review

Preflight

Hey guys,
I've been looking forward to reviewing the WLToys V212 for quite a while now. The V212 is intended to be an accelerometer-equipped version of the V949... though once I got it, I've found that it is a lot more than just a simple replacement.
I hope that this review would be entertaining and helpful for those who are looking into getting the V212 as a new addition to their fleet.

Before we start, I would like to thank our (MassiveRC's) supplier, Mr. Chen, for getting me the sample at lightning speed.

The walk-around

Even though the V212 is supposed to be a similar product to the V949; mechanically, it shares most parts with the V959. Only the canopy is carried over from the V949.

The new receiver board features an accelerometer chip, 4 LED power outlets that could be controlled via the transmitter and 4 motor plugs. On the board is a revision number: 2012/2/2 REV06. This quad uses the V2x2 protocol that is compatible with all other WLToys quads that have accelerometers.

Although the propellers are the same size as those on the V959, the colored prop went from red to bright orange, which I think is a big improvement in terms of visibility.

From the factory

The V212 comes well equipped... 

1x V212 4 channel quadcopter
1x 2.4GHz transmitter 
1x 3.7V 500 mah Lipo battery
1x 110V/220V charger
4x Spare props
Instruction manual

Size comparison with the V222

The flight deck

The bundled transmitter is a 2.4GHz unit that runs on the same protocol as all other accelerometer-equipped WLToys quads (V202, 212 and 222); this means that you could control all 3 types of quads with just one controller. Binding is fast and I did not experience any range or interference issues. Stick tension is on par with all other WLToys transmitters.

On top, the left shoulder button controls the rates (20,40,60,80 and flip), the right shoulder button controls the LED light bars. I think that the transmitter needs to provide an audio cue when it goes into “flip” mode (the screen does turn amber)...but other than that, the transmitter is quite nice overall.

Flight performance

The flight performance of the V212 is perhaps it's biggest selling point over that of the V949. As soon as I eased up the throttle, the V212 took off nice and level..without needing so much as a click of trim.

Under 20 and 40 percent rates, the V212 responds very little to even a large amount of stick movement. I prefer 60 and 80 percents better when flying outside. There isn't any noticable lag in flight response, but when you let go of the stick, the V212 will level itself (not too violent but it's quite noticable). This is a little strange for people like me who are used to flying non-accelerometer equipped mini quads, but not necessarily a bad thing.

The claims that the V212 could be launched inverted are thankfully true! As long as you have a little altitude, the V212 really doesn't seem to care which attitude it's launched in; this feature also allows the quad to do tumbles (start a flip and cut the throttle) or even just cutting the throttle high up and throttling up at the last second for a split second recovery.

I did find a problem that might be specific to my field (as the other V212 flying there also had this problem.. the V202 did not). The problem is that the 212 would randomly lose all power and control. This didn't seem to be range related or power related, it just happens at random intervals regardless of distance or throttle settings. I did not experience this issue anywhere else (range was more than acceptable) and my field is known for having ridiculous amounts of interference... so it shouldn't be an issue at all, though I will let you guys know if I experience this anywhere else other than my field. I've notified WLToys of this issue and they said they haven't experienced this but they will test their units further.

V212 review (2 min 39 sec)

Flight video on a ridiculously windy day

Izzy was not happy that I accidentally "landed" on her tree... (had to pull the plug off before taking the pic just in-case she gets electrocuted, but I didn't move the quad! :P)

Post flight

I am very impressed with the performance and overall value of the V212. Even though it is not compatible with the Flysky protocol (I know a lot of you care about this), but for those of us that fly the V202 already, it's quite nice that the V212 is compatible with the 202 transmitter. The V212 can fly in winds that would blow it's competitors away and the ability to be launched inverted, to do tumbles and to rapidly recover from attitude upsets really does make it quite unique (though the V222 has these capabilities as well).

If you are not looking into using the stock WLToys modules or camera, this is the quad for you. It can carry a 808 #16 with ease and it's stability really does make it a good platform for those of you who do AP or FPV.

The issue of interference is one that concerns me, but as of right now the V212 hasn't exhibited these symptoms anywhere other than at my (VERY) interference-prone field. I will report if I experience interference issues elsewhere.

Thanks for reading! This review was written on April 13th, 2013 and is accurate per my findings. If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to PM me or leave a message here in this thread. I hope you enjoyed the review!

Pros & Cons

Pros
+ Very stable even in wind
+ Ability to do tumbles
+ Powerful, V959 derived motors
+ LEDs for night flights

Cons
- Possible interference issue ***
- No audio cue when entering flip mode
Last edited by jameschen072; Jun 25, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2013, 02:41 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Reserved for further information.

Purchase Information:
If you are in the States, please visit www.massiverc.com

Everywhere else, you can find the V212 on Banggood's website , for around 50 dollars shipped!
Last edited by jameschen072; May 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
Apr 15, 2013, 04:21 AM
Another great review, thanks James!
I'm really liking the power of the 959 platform, and am looking forwards to flying this better wind handling version.
(although I cut speed-holes into my canopy, I don't think it'll handle wind as good as this)
Apr 15, 2013, 08:40 AM
James, thanks for the review!

I got a couple of questions.

Do you really consider and investment making the conversion from v949 to v212? Are the flying characteristics improve that much? (agility, response, stability)
For me, for example, making the conversion is a $33.00 investment, because I dont own a v202, so I need to get the Tx as well.
I was really hoping WL Toys would change the way the quad flips, I really dont like the flipping at full stick movements, I feel I cant get all the potential of the quad.

I guess I'll have to wait for the v222, maybe that one flips like the v959 does (with the button).
By any chance, do you know if the v222 PCB is a direct drop in? 2 weeks ago I ordered the v212/v959 main frame and landing skids, just in case I had to do some modifications when doing the upgrade.
Apr 15, 2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072
Reserved for further information.

Purchase Information:
If you are in the States, please visit www.massiverc.com, our V212s are arriving soon!

Everywhere else, you can find the V212 on Banggood's website , for around 50 dollars shipped!
good reviews,Still waiting for the V222 review,Gold bless your V222
Apr 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
@Vpsporb, Cheers, It really handles quite a bit more wind than I expected..but it's been so windy here lately that I've been flying without the canopy altogether. That 949 canopy really catches a lot of wind!
(oh and the canopy floats the quad in water too, ask me how I know )

@Tboost, cheers for the nice comment! I think it's really hard for me to say if it's worth it or not..because the flight characteristics of the V949 might not be to everyone's liking. I really like it because I can do tumbles and it handles the wind really well (it's always windy here). Agility and response is about as rapid as the original.. the stability has increased quite a bit.

The V222 RX is a direct drop in...the flight characteristics are almost the same as the V212's...so you also get the benefit of possibly adding modules..

I think the V949/959 boards are plenty adequate for normal flight, but after flying mine, all the guys who have the 959 at the field are upgrading theirs to V222 standards... again, possibly cos' it's always windy here.

@Aaron, give me a breather, I'll write the 222 review tomorrow lol :P
Apr 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin
good reviews,Still waiting for the V222 review,Gold bless your V222
Im sorry but what is the difference? The few gramms of the camera? They are the same.
Apr 15, 2013, 11:32 AM
Closed Account
Last edited by OutBreak44; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Apr 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
Closed Account
Last edited by OutBreak44; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Apr 15, 2013, 11:39 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
@CReal and OutBreak44, that's basically correct, if you have them unloaded and under the same canopy, it's practically impossible to tell which one's which. The V212 does feel a little sportier due to it's lighter RX and lack of camera though (again, if unloaded, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference).

@OutBreak44, thanks for reading! The 212 can carry the 808 without a problem, though it does become comparatively sluggish.
Apr 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by OutBreak44; Jun 25, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Apr 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutBreak44
Thanks again James. Great stuff.

I can see the marketing difference. The v222 will still be the "module fun" quad. Bubble blower, plastic missile launcher, water gun, and the all important snap on plug and play camera which can be operated from the tx...wait it still can right? Oh yes and the great auto-flips..this (v212) doesn't have AUTO flips does it?

So while the 808 can be attached to the v212 the weight from what I understand from you and other it really throws off the flight characteristics. Unless you go all MacGyver on the 808 which I don't think most of us want to do for this category quad.
Im getting the cheapest 808 now to put on my 202 for test, if it goes well I get a better, later edition. I've read that without case and battery it is about 9 gramms. Since it is powered by lipo it can be ran on the quads battery. That is not Macguyver to take it apart and put in a wire or is it?
Apr 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by OutBreak44; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Apr 15, 2013, 01:25 PM
From what I've read, powering the 808 directly off the main battery will lead to problems with the video quality, and possibly early shutdown of the 808 due to voltage dips during acceleration being interpreted by the camera as low battery. Most who have tried it have added a voltage regulator to stabilize the voltage the camera sees.
Apr 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpepper
From what I've read, powering the 808 directly off the main battery will lead to problems with the video quality, and possibly early shutdown of the 808 due to voltage dips during acceleration being interpreted by the camera as low battery. Most who have tried it have added a voltage regulator to stabilize the voltage the camera sees.
Ty for that input, we were concerned by something like this and will make the regulator before the cams arrive to save time. I hope my friend can make them a very small size.

On a different note Im not versed in these myself so Im depending on a pal to do this for me. And at the beggining I will depend on him a lot, good to have these people around, for example he is not into rc, and there is another guy who isnt either but he has a high physical and material based knowledge and also equipment for cutting and various handywork which is crucial in this hobby. What Im saying at the beggining without help it is 100times harder than with it and in time I need less and less help. However alone it is much harder to start with little or no background and reading the forums which is the case with me and as I read like many others. So seek help its crucial!

Quick Reply