Apr 15, 2013, 10:31 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan
I can hardly wait for more flight test video.

Robert
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2013, 05:47 AM
Build and Fly!
Thread OP
all of you guys have a good project .. i\m glad to see them here
Apr 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Here's my largest to date.
DH114 Heron series 1 (fixed undercarriage) at 144" span and AUW of 20 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-aaG7nvgUbY

My Percival Q6 can also be seen in this video...
ROBIN FLYING HIS DeHAVILLAND DH114 HERON AT HDMFC (6 min 57 sec)
Apr 16, 2013, 03:19 PM
A Global Force For Good
Nicely done Eye!.... It appears to be a very nice flying AC. Thanks for sharing that.
Apr 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
Official Boat Bum
WOW eye4wings... really fantastic. A beautiful build, and a unique project!

I notice the "proper" engine rotation too. Here are a couple pics of one of these Herons that lives about 25 minutes north of me... I have no idea of what it's been up to... just seen it on the ramp a few times - seems like it's active but not sure. The skies grayed up in proper British colors for the photos
Apr 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
WOW that is C00L! Well done E4W...
(yes, I'm partially shouting...)
Apr 16, 2013, 05:54 PM
Robin / E4W,
How about posting nice big pictures of your other British light and medium transports here. This is the right audience.
Robert
Last edited by Robert R; Apr 16, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Apr 17, 2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks guys!

For me the speed a model flies at is all part of the effect of flying scale and it grieves me to see an otherwise beautiful model of any kind that has to fly way beyond scale speed in order to fly at all. So I aim to build as light as possible to achieve the closest possible flying speed to scale. The bigger the better helps too!

EddieP, I think flight experience and communications work for the young marines would be a fair guess, wouldn't you? Looks well kept too... and I notice the thickened rudder top shows well on one of your shots. That is something I hadn't realised when I built the model because when I visited Newark Air Museum to photograph the original it had a Dove rudder installed and looked rather sad. (Mind you that WAS a British day and I had to dodge the rain showers as she was kept outside.)

Robert, I'll give the other models a bit of thought later (after breakfast!) - maybe for now a link to my blog will suffice?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=228170
Apr 17, 2013, 09:44 AM
Well okay, I mentioned the Q6 above and those who watched tboborap's video will have seen a few shots of it as it waited its turn to fly. Here are a few more...
Apr 17, 2013, 10:09 AM
Beauty Robin!
Robert
Apr 17, 2013, 05:00 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R
Beauty Robin!
Robert
All of those Brit-Birds Are stunning!
Apr 18, 2013, 01:29 AM
Yes, I think the British 'golden age' is a rich mine of types that well deserve to be remembered - I seem to have a particular liking for DeHavilland designs. Anything that hasn't already been comprehensively 'done' is likely to get my attention.

Here's another, the Albatross, one of the types on which they were developing the wooden ply technology which led to the Mosquito.
This model suffered from being underpowered and made a wheels-up landing on concrete which rather spoiled the underside on its second flight.
As usual I was by then building the next model and the Albatross never got the attentionit needed to fly again. I gave it to another modeller to repair.
Apr 18, 2013, 02:44 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Beautiful Albatross you built Robin, Your an Artist with the Sky as you canvas!
Apr 18, 2013, 08:38 AM
Official Boat Bum
E4W, you and one of our local modelers would get along just fine! He builds extremely light and his models fly like they have helium in the fuselage and wings. I swear, his DC-3 might actually fly slower than scale and it's a thing of beauty to see - it is also in the 3.5 meter range for size (144" wing I believe). His building techniques are similar to yours, his using light balsa frame, balsa sheeting and then film covering. He just ventured into EDF power for his big airliners, we'll see how he likes them. I hope he does, as it would be nice to have a fellow EDF airliner type near by.

Quick Reply