Apr 14, 2013, 12:11 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Discussion

PAK DA in five easy pieces

I posted some of this over on my Marvin Martian thread initially but i think it deserves it's own thread. Sukoi is working on a new long range strategic bomber that is referred to as the PAK DA program. No one appears to know what the new plane will look like but here are some possibilities.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
With this in mind I have been working on my Own PAK DA concept.
PAK DA Glides (2 min 22 sec)
Apr 14, 2013, 12:52 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
COMMUNIST!

Looks good, though seems to stall a lot Nice stable flight at the end, even with minimal verticle stabs. Hows the nose on that thing? Still bleeding? Very cool.
Apr 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
skumgummi dave
That's a keeper Bob...
Apr 14, 2013, 08:17 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
I destroyed the 48" WS plane trying to fly in 14 mph winds. Here is my new 70% size PAK DA out for some glide tests. This one is just taped together and has no KF Airfoils which would have improved it's performance in the 7 mph wind.
PAK DA Glides II (2 min 51 sec)
Apr 15, 2013, 09:48 AM
This is a cool looking project. I will be keeping an eye on your progress. Good luck
Apr 17, 2013, 06:31 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Ya'know this whole work thing is getting in the way of important hobby time.
Apr 17, 2013, 12:07 PM
skumgummi dave
)
Apr 22, 2013, 10:03 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Found some time to work on the PAK DA today at lunch.
I put the wing-tips back on and turned up which stopped her annoying tendency to gently bank till she would tip off her balance and slide sideways into the ground. Now she's flying straight and level again. I've crashed three powered models so far working on this forward swept-wing bomber concept. The fourth is looking good. I will start this week mounting the motor and electronics.
Apr 23, 2013, 01:56 AM
skumgummi dave
This will be your best ship yet Bob...
May 19, 2013, 08:04 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
What I think I've learned so far with this design is how sensitive is the wing is to adjustments in pitch. You can have it nose heavy and the slightest movement of the T.V. will flip her end for end like she didn't even have a tail. So I found that using ailerons and fixing the T.V. area in the prop wash at neutral or just 1/4 up at the trailing edge makes her much more stable in the glide testing. Also winglets help her not to ant to fall into a sideways slide. I think that this has something to do with the way the forward swept wing gathers the incoming air and focuses these twin vortices towards the fuselage and tail. I think this type of wing needs a surface for this air to fall over and from at the tailing edge of the vortices to balance the wing.
As I have sold the mansionette and now am packing and moving to occupy my rental property (and back to that whole living beneath your means thing) I don't have time to build and very little time to fly. So It will be July before I can make a powered model.
May 19, 2013, 02:25 PM
skumgummi dave
Bob:
There is a lot of good to that whole living beneath your means thing. Sorry to see life getting in the way of the hobby, but it does that sometimes. I always kinda liked this version of wing tips. I want to try this version.

Dave-
May 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Bob:
There is a lot of good to that whole living beneath your means thing. Sorry to see life getting in the way of the hobby, but it does that sometimes. I always kinda liked this version of wing tips. I want to try this version.

Dave-
That would be a piece of cake.
She's a good old delta canard with double winglets.
May 19, 2013, 10:50 PM
skumgummi dave
Simple is good for me...
Jun 06, 2013, 08:53 PM
"Five Easy Pieces"
Thread OP
LOL
So my most popular video in Russia last month was ......PAK DA Glides.
Second was YF-60 Black Mamba.

Quick Reply