Apr 14, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Idaten, OD steam launch, sort of.

Well, my first attempt at a steam powered R/C boat. A steam launch sort of boat, powered by SAITO T-1 engine and B-1 boiler. I had this power plant for a coulpe of years now. Just couldnt get motivated enough to start building. Well that has changed. My club, SRBC, annoucened a race event recently, and that! was THE push in my back to get me going. Rules are quie simple. A boat powered by Saito B-1& T-1 combo. If you want to, and if you can and dare, unlimited mods to the boiler and engine. Well, I dont have a lathe so no mods will be made to the powerplant, but isnt this the R/C Steam Punk version of an unlimited boat race??? No restrictions to the hull design. Steam powered outrigger, well its T-1 after all, seemed far from practical, but decided to desing my own. Try my hand at a steam powered boat. So, here I go.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2013, 09:56 PM
Grumpa Tom
Looks good!!
Apr 15, 2013, 02:04 AM
Taking care of the pond.
I'm watching this build.
Apr 15, 2013, 04:07 AM
Hmmm wonder if anyone will turn up on race day with a steam powered generator connected to a electric motor via an esc......oh and a 3s lipo
Apr 20, 2013, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
No progress this week, so far. Job and family obligations. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow, Sunday night. But, did go out shopping, though. Brass rod, tubes and plate. Hopefully, they will turn into a kitchen rudder for this boat.
May 04, 2013, 04:10 AM
Thread OP

A bit of a progress.

Found some time and moved my hands somewhat today. Now Idaten is partially 3D. Joind sub-top deck and mid deck. I havent decided on the design of the top deck yet. Will figure it out and cut parts as I build along.
May 04, 2013, 06:57 AM
Watch out for "Top weight", the steam plant as shown is a tall design.

Regards Ian.
May 04, 2013, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Circlip,
Thank you for your tip. This one still has one more layer? of deck to go, and that goes below the current layer. Boiler and engine will be mounted on that layer. A sort of keel will be added below it, so there will be two more layers added below the mid deck. Hope that will be enough. If not, then I will add ballast.
Lot more work to do. Fun!!
May 05, 2013, 06:40 AM
Hello, it is usually very convenient for the unavoidable steam plant maintenance work to mount both engine and boiler to a suitable base. Then the whole steam plant can be lifted out of the boat as a unit.
That base can either be a piece of sheet metal, or two pieces of angle metal, whatever you have around.
May 05, 2013, 08:00 AM
On these small Saito steam plants, I replace the alcohol burner with a sterno burner, I make the sterno burner out of brass sheet and add a handle. A simple box can be folded and made to fit into the existing hole in the boiler fire box. The sterno will not spill like liquid alcohol.

A 35mm robaash or robivo (spellings?) three bladed brass propellers are a good match for the engine.

You will have fun building and running it when completed.

Thanks
Steve
May 05, 2013, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Kno3,
Thank you for your input. I had thought about that, and its also standard building procedure of my club, SRBC. However, Taking the whole driving mechanism didnt seem very convenient. So, decided to go my route.

steveciambrone,
Thank you also for input. I think I will stick with EtOH. Much cheaper than sterno. I have a three bladed 50 mm diameter brass propeller. Should work.

BTW, epoxy cured without a problem. I used 90 minute epoxy. Should have used 60 or 30.
Jun 10, 2013, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
I am hoping to get some building done this weekend. About time, dont you think so?
Aug 24, 2013, 02:30 AM
Thread OP
Well, finally, after more than three months of non-activity, got the top and lower decks mated together. Hope to get more done tomorrow. I am falling in love with Gorilla glue. No mixing, and enough working time for adjusting parts.
Aug 25, 2013, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
More progress, though small. Pencil, French curve, box knife, and ta dah! Move your hands, and things do get done, right?

Quick Reply