This thread is privately moderated by jy0933, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
James not bond
Thread OP
Discussion

BLGC usb glitch workaround [update- problem solved]

UPDATE

problem solved

we eventually found that the problem was caused by windows driver update. the solution to it is quite easy as following. and also the driver package is attached for your convenience.

solution:

(pre step... disconnect your internet to prevent windows from auto fetching driver)
step 1, Goto device manager

step 2, show all the hidden devices

step 3, delete all the serial/comport devices

step 4, delete all the usb serial devices (including driver)

step 5, connect the boards to usb

step 6. update driver

(step 6.5 for some computer you will need to reboot the system to take effect)

step 7. wala

video is being made .. will be uploaded soon

USB glitch solution for blgc (5 min 37 sec)

the following content was for logging purpose and just in case.. it is a workaround for this case.. the solution above should solve the problem

I recently have a new batch of BLGC to my door. and I found these along with some other people's having a similar/same USB glitch. After an entire day's work. I still have not identify what exactly caused the glitch. But I do find a workaround so people can still use the boards.

Glitch symptom:
when connected to usb, changed port to proper com1-5. the GUI stuck at reading value forever. meanwhile the arduino ide does not want to upload firmware to it.
(but according to reports from customer. buyer of same batch said different. some works just ok. some does not. I also suspect it might has todo with OS)

Cause still unknown, but it has been reported to manufacturer.

What is affected.

only the onboard USB communication is "disabled"
and when using the workaround method, the usb still won't connect while battery is plugged in. BUT, the gimbal functioning properly, and usb-gui connection also does functions correctly SEPARATELY.

What is the workaround.

necessary item: ftdi or any usb-rs232 adapter

How to do it.

it is quite simple. Disconnect battery. connect ftdi(or equiv usb-rs232 adapter) to lower left side tx and rx (remember to cross them). If you are using 3.3v output, you can connect 3.3v to lower left corner 5v and ground. If you are using 5v output, connect 5v/ground to top battery port.

Connection Diagram

Videos attached are just to show the workaround is solving the problem.
Last edited by jy0933; Jun 04, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2013, 01:16 PM
That's good to know its not a problem with the CGC boards!
Apr 14, 2013, 01:22 PM
James not bond
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown
That's good to know its not a problem with the CGC boards!
it happens so randomly.. the few boards at my friend's worked the last night. and suddenly would not the next day... everything was the same... it couldn't be possible that it was the board(unless get EMPed?)... it was really really exhausted....

in a word... stay from windows driver update.... that's what screwed things up
Apr 17, 2013, 07:27 PM
James not bond
Thread OP
make 2 small changes on instruction

1. remember to disconnect the internet during the process

2. some computer might need to restart to make it work..

thanks Ken for the feedback
Apr 25, 2013, 07:33 PM
it doesn't work under win 8 64bits
Apr 25, 2013, 11:17 PM
James not bond
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare
it doesn't work under win 8 64bits
my another computer is win8 64bit pro.. it takes a few more iterations and restarts before i got it working.. but at least. it worked
Apr 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933
my another computer is win8 64bit pro.. it takes a few more iterations and restarts before i got it working.. but at least. it worked
hi,

My Martinez board was working nicely but without any reason when I try to make a "cal acc" properly it does not respond anymore.
The gimbal didn't work, nothing happens !
In the GUI software its pending on "TC reading"
And when I want to upload the firmware again Arduino give me that error :

stk500_getsync() not in sync resp=0x00

So I try to figure out what was going on, it try lots of things, and when I try to reconnect the IMU 6050, it smokes !

Yesterday I try to connect 3s lipo to the board ( without IMU ) and the Led worked for 2 sec then they all shut down !

The 4A fuse just died ! today I put a wire between the two connection and the board come back to life, everything normal, I have 5v going to IMU, everything look normal, no wrong currents.

So I try to upload again the firmware but same problem !
So I try your method, but it didn't work neither !

Still the same error with 3 blinks of the red led during uploading that all.
Now I didn't have a working IMU so I can't try with the IMU and the motors.

Whats going on ? what do I have to do ? its creazy lots of people had the same problem since 1 week without any reason !! It look like if somebody programed a destruction of the bootloader of all the board

Plz help me

and does this USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors could work to reprogram the 328p ?
If yes the MISO output is missing so how do I proceed ?

Last edited by 7subaru4; Apr 26, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Apr 26, 2013, 12:59 PM
Ura
Ura
where do i get the driver i cant even see any ports as it says ft232r usb uart
i need driver post link
Apr 26, 2013, 01:05 PM
James not bond
Thread OP
[QUOTE=7subaru4;24833761]hi,

My Martinez board was working nicely but without any reason when I try to make a "cal acc" properly it does not respond anymore.
The gimbal didn't work, nothing happens !
In the GUI software its pending on "TC reading"
And when I want to upload the firmware again Arduino give me that error :

stk500_getsync() not in sync resp=0x00

So I try to figure out what was going on, it try lots of things, and when I try to reconnect the IMU 6050, it smokes ! imu smoked or the board smoked? usually smoke results from reverse polarity

Yesterday I try to connect 3s lipo to the board ( without IMU ) and the Led worked for 2 sec then they all shut down ! something is overloaded/short.. check whatever you connected is not short (or not touching any metal)

The 4A fuse just died ! today I put a wire between the two connection and the board come back to life, everything normal, I have 5v going to IMU, everything look normal, no wrong currents.accidentally short something at previous event?

So I try to upload again the firmware but same problem !
So I try your method, but it didn't work neither !

Still the same error with 3 blinks of the red led during uploading that all.
Now I didn't have a working IMU so I can't try with the IMU and the motors.
so you probably blow ftdi at previous event?

Whats going on ? what do I have to do ? its creazy lots of people had the same problem since 1 week without any reason !! It look like if somebody programed a destruction of the bootloader of all the board
the bootloader is arduino original bootloader. if you have usbasp, you can try to burn the bootloader and see if it helps..but most likely something else is fried...

Plz help me
do remember either controller or firmware of german ver is still in beta. all the boards in the market are from dev's original design. me and other folks are either making or selling from their design. (no, i dont want to put the blame on them, and i am not. just stating there is risk when buying this to try out) for my customers, what i would do is: if it DOA, i replace for free. if the board is damaged at users hand (like your case) i can repair for a certain amount of fee(if i can find what exactly is broken). or spend $30ish bucks for new board(the price will vary over time depending on the availability of the components)
Apr 26, 2013, 05:48 PM
the MPU 6050 " pop" then it smells fried
He's dead anyway !
The other board seems to be in good working condition.

But i didn't reverse polarity when i connected the MPU, i wonder why it died...

I just figure out that if you connect the board only with USB the 5v is actually 4.4v and it should be at least 4.7v so that why my bootloader crash and now it can't access to it !

Tomorrow i will try to bypass the FTDI port to access directly to the Mega328p. If i can upload to it a new xloader or bootloader it should comeback to life, if not

i just knew that the 3 blinks of the red led means " no bootloader"
w'll let you know about my test tomorow !

thanks dude !
Apr 27, 2013, 01:14 AM
James not bond
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7subaru4
the MPU 6050 " pop" then it smells fried
He's dead anyway !
The other board seems to be in good working condition.

But i didn't reverse polarity when i connected the MPU, i wonder why it died...

I just figure out that if you connect the board only with USB the 5v is actually 4.4v and it should be at least 4.7v so that why my bootloader crash and now it can't access to it !

Tomorrow i will try to bypass the FTDI port to access directly to the Mega328p. If i can upload to it a new xloader or bootloader it should comeback to life, if not

i just knew that the 3 blinks of the red led means " no bootloader"
w'll let you know about my test tomorow !

thanks dude !
gj
keep us updated
Apr 27, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933
gj
keep us updated
hi,

i try to unplaod but without any success, now i have not in sync 0x30
i try with Avdude same result ! think my atmega is dead, but its weird because it respond when i put stk500 or stk600 as programmer the errors messages disapear but it take to much time, and except some red blink sometime nothing else happen
Apr 27, 2013, 01:56 PM
James not bond
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7subaru4
hi,

i try to unplaod but without any success, now i have not in sync 0x30
i try with Avdude same result ! think my atmega is dead, but its weird because it respond when i put stk500 or stk600 as programmer the errors messages disapear but it take to much time, and except some red blink sometime nothing else happen
try if you can read it first.. and noted, miso is m4 pin at lower right
Apr 29, 2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks a lot for this !
May 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
FPV ADDICT
Has this worked for anyone? I did all the steps as I was having the same error message. I downloaded the drivers disconnected from the Internet and uninstalled, then installed new downloaded ones and now Arduino 1.0.4 says my com port where I'm connected to my board shows null...before this at least Arduino could see my board not it's not seeing it at all. Now I'm just trying to get it back to where Arduino can see my board again...what a pain in the a$&!

Quick Reply