Apr 24, 2018, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
Try a counter weight on the tilt. Will stop the the high current draw just to hold in place.
That's a good idea, as the tilt servo still seems unhappy even after cutting the arm back a bit.

I'm just not sure how I would mount a counterweight onto the tilt servo using the existing setup.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2018, 07:37 PM
Okay so I have managed to devise a way to attach a counterweight to the arm of the tilt servo.

It is now definitely a major improvement over the stock configuration as I no longer hear any complaints from the servo. See attached photos.
May 15, 2018, 06:42 PM
400' ..... NOT
That'll work
May 15, 2018, 10:50 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
I needed a counter weight on mine also once I fitted the bigger Vulcan.
Just made a simple alloy angle bracket with a block of Lead attached and made length so it does not hit anything during rotation right through to vertical.
I also changed the "tilt' gearing to the highest I could get from servocity... the pinion is now tiny.
Last edited by NutBag; May 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM.
May 15, 2018, 11:07 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
Here's the one with Eagletree setup and Gatling.. find it doesn't really need the counterweight with the antenna attachment arm cut as short as possible.
Both my trackers have worked faultlessly for over 5 years now, couldn't be happier with them.
Last edited by NutBag; May 25, 2018 at 02:53 PM.
May 15, 2018, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBag
Here's the one with Eagletree setup and Gatling.. find it doesn't really need the counterweight with the antenna attachment arm cut as short as possible.
Both my trackers have worked faultlessly for over 5 years now, couldn't be happier with them.

Cables are a little messy here, was trying out the Clearview Rx or the first time.
Are those the VSWR numbers for each frequency in the top left corner of the antenna?

Also, how do you like the Clearview XLR? Does it seem to be much of an improvement compared to other 1.3 receivers? My understanding is that for it to work best you need two identical antennas, although if you just want it for diversity then I suppose one directional and one omni is okay too. My main interest is long range so I would probably hook up two directional antennas of identical gain.

It would be nice if someone did an actual long range test of the XLR, side-by-side with a conventional receiver.. After all, that is what the XLR stands for- Xtreme Long Range! But I have only found the same video every one else refers to "illusion at rooney", which is not at all long range.
May 15, 2018, 11:47 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
Yeah they are VSWR numbers, Keep in mind this antenna is near 6 years old so Hugos techniques would have improved some.
It's fairly good right through. Ive been over 80km on 1160, adn a friend recently used it to go 117km with superb vid on 1280.
Last edited by NutBag; May 25, 2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply