Apr 13, 2013, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Is the 9Xr realy any better than the 9X?

I own a 9x and it does the job for me. I see they sell the 9Xr but other than the lit display and the crome what makes the 9Xr any better than the 9X?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2013, 12:15 PM
Doesn't sound like it from reports. Most seem to think it's worse.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
Doesn't sound like it from reports. Most seem to think it's worse.
Thanks! I was wondering about the quility myself. I guess I will just stick with my plain9X
Apr 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
Thanks! I was wondering about the quility myself. I guess I will just stick with my plain9X
If you are interested in an upgrade from the 9x, the frsky Taranis looks like the one to watch.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbal
If you are interested in an upgrade from the 9x, the frisky Taranis looks like the one to watch.
the frisky Taranis will be better how? I already have a frsky module with telemetry I was planing on just putting my Frisky module into the 9Xr. Will the Taranis be the same cost as the 9Xr? Never mind I see the cost of the Taranis will be WAY higher than the 9Xr! I allready have all the Frsky stuff and can use it all on the 9Xr, so wont the radio work with Frsky?. WOW $196.00 for the Taranis!
Last edited by goldsworthy; Apr 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Apr 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
I don't own either and just ordered a 9x instead of the 9xr.

reasons :
dislike the chrome and the antenna on 9xr.
issues being reported on 9xr with regards to buttons and gimbal pots

I hate the remote control buttons so assumed I wont like the ones on 9xr

if you can solder the 9x is a little cheaper since the backlight is more like a bolt on and 9xr doesn't come with a programmer, someone just soldered the interface into a 6 pin connector.
Apr 13, 2013, 01:29 PM
65 years of RC flying
Except for the built-in programmer and backlit screen, the 9XR has little to offer over the 9X and in many ways is inferior. A 9x with programmer and backlighting is a much better proposition, especially if you want to make any hardware mods, as the 9XR is very cramped.

The FrSky Taranis is an entirely different proposition. Much superior hardware to take advantage of the OpenTx firmware (new version). As you imply, the price is a real bargain, less than half that of any comparable transmitter. There's an obvious progression from 9x with Open9x firmware and FrSky module to Taranis. An Taranis opens the way to new generations of FrSky technology.
Apr 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
Except for the built-in programmer and backlit screen, the 9XR has little to offer over the 9X and in many ways is inferior. A 9x with programmer and backlighting is a much better proposition, especially if you want to make any hardware mods, as the 9XR is very cramped.

The FrSky Taranis is an entirely different proposition. Much superior hardware to take advantage of the OpenTx firmware (new version). As you imply, the price is a real bargain, less than half that of any comparable transmitter. There's an obvious progression from 9x with Open9x firmware and FrSky module to Taranis. An Taranis opens the way to new generations of FrSky technology.
The Taranis is a much better bargain than buying a 9x/9xr and getting it up to speed to open9x/FrySky/Telemetry.

However I wouldn't wait for a taranis, its basic supply and demand scenario.
of the 1000's who buy a 9x only 10% or less end up modding it.

demand and supply

taranis has near to 0 marketing so chances are lot of people will not know about the system.

9x has seen lot of positive reviews from flite test, rcmodelreviews, mikeysrc and many more.

just a simple search always lets people into one of those old pages and they won't even know the existance of taranis.

so taranis with not much demand has to cut down on supply and hence will become a rarity to find and might just dissapear.

the reason 9x was a success was due to its price, at $200 with receiver and most people flying 3 or 4 channels I don't see how someone would want a taranis, they would either get a dx6i from LHS or get a 9x for much far less from HK or hobbypartz.

I remember a year back when i got into this hobby I bought a dx6i even though there was a 9x and i read all awesome reviews about it just because I could go buy a dx6i from LHS and get airborne in a few hours.
Apr 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
65 years of RC flying
"Taranis with not much demand." Where does that idea come from? The transmitter was only announced a few days ago.

Following your logic, FrSky should never have got to be a significant player in the RF business. But in fact superior performance at great prices does get noticed. They can do the same with a transmitter.

FrSky doesn't have to compete with Spektrum to have a financially viable product.
Apr 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
How much does a Taranis cost? and how much does a (Xr cost?
Apr 13, 2013, 04:26 PM
obserwator
I still am waiting for Taranis to get out, and then to see ... soldering... not for me... telemetry? useful... integrated? even better.. in any case.. I think it's good to wait 2-3 months, and then to decide..
Apr 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
How much does a Taranis cost? and how much does a (Xr cost?
Taranis is $175 with internal module, case, battery and charger. Turnigy 9XR is $90 by the time you add module and battery. Both are plus shipping.
Apr 13, 2013, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
Taranis is $175 with internal module, case, battery and charger. Turnigy 9XR is $90 by the time you add module and battery. Both are plus shipping.
I own the FrSky module along with all the FrSky telemity stuff. Are you saying I cant just transfer all this to the 9Xr?
Apr 13, 2013, 08:55 PM
obserwator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD
The Taranis is a much better bargain than buying a 9x/9xr and getting it up to speed to open9x/FrySky/Telemetry.

However I wouldn't wait for a taranis, its basic supply and demand scenario.
of the 1000's who buy a 9x only 10% or less end up modding it.

demand and supply

taranis has near to 0 marketing so chances are lot of people will not know about the system.

9x has seen lot of positive reviews from flite test, rcmodelreviews, mikeysrc and many more.

just a simple search always lets people into one of those old pages and they won't even know the existance of taranis.

so taranis with not much demand has to cut down on supply and hence will become a rarity to find and might just dissapear.

the reason 9x was a success was due to its price, at $200 with receiver and most people flying 3 or 4 channels I don't see how someone would want a taranis, they would either get a dx6i from LHS or get a 9x for much far less from HK or hobbypartz.

I remember a year back when i got into this hobby I bought a dx6i even though there was a 9x and i read all awesome reviews about it just because I could go buy a dx6i from LHS and get airborne in a few hours.
=======
Nobody knows I guess how much exactly Taranis we'll perform... I think forum like this one already heard about Taranis, and that's definitely good marketing for FrSky - it's not hard to get this name in 'searching'.. (i.e. Taranis).. .. Telemetry, no need to open/solder things inside are few elements of no-fun yet winner for many of us... Also telemetry alarms.. something compelling... Also there is some other philosophical mentality among US people... Take as an example the US (guess Europe is not much different).. how many people truly needs a smart phone? Yet, look.. it took this country by storm... I believe Taranis has that potential... Promised quality... Am not sure how 3-4 channels fact apply to the 'mixing of channels' can stall, or more having of them can easy those to achieve... Also I hear better ranges...

9x from what I hear is not perfect either.. While not the cheapest Taranis is also not a killer when is getting to price when compared to Futaba/Spectrum radios... so who knows.. I'd be not surprised seeing at lest 50% buyers moving from Futaba/Spectrum toward Taranis... I think it's to preliminary to be sure about winning / loosing by Taranis... For sure good think happen as monopolies are not good - see how Spectrum/Futaba kill people with their price levels??? ... we'll see.. If this will get super feedback from flyers I'll be one probably getting it in mid of Summer... but again.. I decided to wait.. I was so close from ordering 9x.. but thought I'd may be sorry afterwards hearing perfect things about Taranis later.. so waiting sometimes is good.. It won't probably be long to find out what is this Taranis all about...

Frankly I guess at this point I'm nearly equal open to go either direction i.e. 9x for 45% and Taranis 55%... lot's of may change once we see more Youtube reviews... and how people feel about Taranis.. What makes me nervous about Taranis is fact that it's one of first of FrSky product in this league... and just don't know if that helps.. In addition, product is new... I'd feel much more comfortable if Taranis was 4th carnation of prior similar products with debugged stuff in it... Am not also sure if I'll get adequate support should something goes wrong.. but guess would not count for support much either from Turnigy or HK for 9x...
Last edited by zawaprz; Apr 13, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
May 15, 2013, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawaprz
=======
Nobody knows I guess how much exactly Taranis we'll perform... I think forum like this one already heard about Taranis, and that's definitely good marketing for FrSky - it's not hard to get this name in 'searching'.. (i.e. Taranis).. .. Telemetry, no need to open/solder things inside are few elements of no-fun yet winner for many of us... Also telemetry alarms.. something compelling... Also there is some other philosophical mentality among US people... Take as an example the US (guess Europe is not much different).. how many people truly needs a smart phone? Yet, look.. it took this country by storm... I believe Taranis has that potential... Promised quality... Am not sure how 3-4 channels fact apply to the 'mixing of channels' can stall, or more having of them can easy those to achieve... Also I hear better ranges...

9x from what I hear is not perfect either.. While not the cheapest Taranis is also not a killer when is getting to price when compared to Futaba/Spectrum radios... so who knows.. I'd be not surprised seeing at lest 50% buyers moving from Futaba/Spectrum toward Taranis... I think it's to preliminary to be sure about winning / loosing by Taranis... For sure good think happen as monopolies are not good - see how Spectrum/Futaba kill people with their price levels??? ... we'll see.. If this will get super feedback from flyers I'll be one probably getting it in mid of Summer... but again.. I decided to wait.. I was so close from ordering 9x.. but thought I'd may be sorry afterwards hearing perfect things about Taranis later.. so waiting sometimes is good.. It won't probably be long to find out what is this Taranis all about...

Frankly I guess at this point I'm nearly equal open to go either direction i.e. 9x for 45% and Taranis 55%... lot's of may change once we see more Youtube reviews... and how people feel about Taranis.. What makes me nervous about Taranis is fact that it's one of first of FrSky product in this league... and just don't know if that helps.. In addition, product is new... I'd feel much more comfortable if Taranis was 4th carnation of prior similar products with debugged stuff in it... Am not also sure if I'll get adequate support should something goes wrong.. but guess would not count for support much either from Turnigy or HK for 9x...
Bruce from rcmodelreviews had posted his Taranis is in mail, its been a while and not sure why he hasn't posted a review yet.

also there are no leaks anywhere. I expected the people at toledo show would have made a video for us to watch

Quick Reply