Apr 13, 2013, 09:03 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Build Log

Durafly 1100mm Spitfire MK24 to Mk21 bash

HI Guys

I am putting asside my FMS BF-109F 1400mm bash and repaint to start the Bash of my recently acquired 1100mm Durafly Mk24. (see here for original thread).

I am not a "fan" of bubble canopy spits, I think they loose all their "character". The new "wing" on the Mk21 which deviates from the true elliptical planform is less troublesome to me asthetically, so I bought the model to retrograde it to a Mk21 (with the old sytle canopy)

Let's begin.

The model does not need much to make it into a MK21. They canopy, the vertical tail and rudder and a slightly smaller horizontal tail (more on this later).

Since the 1100 MM Parkzone MK9 has a very good rendition of this early canopy I procured one and found it will fit and look nicely.

The vertical tail/rudder has enough area as to just be able to cut down and add a bit of foam to replicate the broad-chord tail found on the Mk XIV-XXI

Now.. a bit of problem with the model.

As often happens with many model coming from overseas, they design the box first, then the model. It seems that the model fuselage (with rudder) is nearly a full 1" (25mm) short of being scale for a 1100mm model! That means the horizontal tail is nearly a full inch too close to the wing! Lucky for durafly, the MK24 had an enlaged horizontal tail over the Mk 21. I am hesitant to stretch the fuselage and make the tail smaller (to scale) so I may just have to live with the Mk24 tail on a Mk21 airframe. By all accounts the model flies fine with this scale (and aerodynamic) deficiency.

The lower wing radiators are about the right size, but are the wrong shape in the side view. I plan to fix that.

The Split flaps are WAY to short. The main section of the flap extends to the outbd edge of the wing fillet on the FS (full scale) aircraft. The model stops short by about an inch. They also did not add the smaller inbd separate section found on ALL spits from Mk1 to 24 I may or may not add this piece. I also plan to move the flap servo under the radiator.

First, I removed all the decals and then started to stip some of the paint off with just applying 2" masking tape and ripping it off fast. In some places it came off easily and quickly, in others, not so much.

I then cut off the rear turtledeck to add back the taller turtledeck of the clasic spitfire in 4lb polyurethane foam.

I 3d printed the aft section innards of the cockpit armour plate headrest and aft canopy framing, painted then glued it to the Parkzone MK9 canopy.

That's where I am to this point. More to follow as it happens.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Apr 22, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
Suspended Account
Check these out
http://www.markstyling.com/latespitfires1.htm
Apr 13, 2013, 12:27 PM
Inspirational as always Tom

.... and you certainly put your 3D-printer to good use.

Watching with interest.

Apr 13, 2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis
Wow ... that's the most comprehensive compliation of Spit profiles I've seen
..... duly book-marked in my favourites.

Thanks for sharing Mike.

Last edited by Plane Chaos; Apr 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis
Thanks Mike, I have that one in my favorites.... no MK21's though. Latest they go is the MK14
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Apr 17, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos
Inspirational as always Tom

.... and you certainly put your 3D-printer to good use.

Watching with interest.

Yes, I do, but it's not mine. I barter engineering work for time in the machine.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Apr 14, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
little more done

added 3/32 sq hardwood stiffeners to the canopy insides.

temp installed my yet unpainterd pilot bust under the canopy for inspiration
Apr 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
Yes another Spitfire
Nice work Tom.
Not my fav Mk of Spitfire but I know when its finished it'll look stunning.
I doubt you'll need them but here are a few colour plates of some Mk21's
Apr 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
Make me a Gloster Gladiator!
Subscribed
Apr 13, 2013, 02:21 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMARK
Nice work Tom.
Not my fav Mk of Spitfire but I know when its finished it'll look stunning.
I doubt you'll need them but here are a few colour plates of some Mk21's
Thanks Mark.

Not my "favorite" either but when done I can claim I have an Alpha and the Omega (combat types during the war). My Mk1a BoB and the Mk21 made operational (but never saw much action) Mk21. I know the Mk24 was the "last" production model, but the Mk21 was the last production model during the war.

Tom
Apr 13, 2013, 03:44 PM
Very cool as always tom
I was wondering what motor, prop (yours i assume) esc and battery you will be using for this
Cheers
Parkguy
Apr 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkguy
Very cool as always tom
I was wondering what motor, prop (yours i assume) esc and battery you will be using for this
Cheers
Parkguy
This motor and this prop, 3S-2200 or so.
Apr 13, 2013, 06:24 PM
"The Uzitalo nine millimeter"
I absolutely love these bash threads. We should have a forum just for them.
Apr 13, 2013, 09:04 PM
Most people are stupid!
Nice job so far mate

Quick Reply