Jan 09, 2004, 11:34 AM
Thread OP

Front yard Flyer suggestions...please..!

Hi there

I'm looking to build a new plane this weekend - I'm thinking I'd like to purchase and build something that can fly in our front yard yet occasionally bring to the park as well. I've read some threads about the Tiger Moth, Slow Stick and others that might fit into this catagory. I'm basicly looking for something sturdy that I can have fun with while the kids are sleeping at home.

Any suggestions - or am I crazy to think this is possible..?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2004, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Depends, of course, on the size of your front yard and your current flying skills. I am barely an intermediate pilot, and I COULD fly the TM in my front yard with zero wind. I don't know if I would enjoy it, however. I'd do nothing but bank the whole time. Front yard measures 75' by 92', and has power lines on the other side of the street. Also have several light poles and neighbors all around. Read back thru the last couple of pages for a thread about a backyard flyer. Had lots of recommendations for just what you are looking for.
Jan 09, 2004, 12:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
I fly T-IFO, Gym-E, Tiger Moth without problems in my Cul de Sac (see attached pic) I have flow other planes here including the Slow Stick but area is really too small! I also fly the Mini IFO and Mk3 in this space but they are not for new flyers.
boomer
Jan 09, 2004, 12:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Here's the T-IFO ..... flying it standing in my driveway.
boomer
Jan 09, 2004, 12:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
Another
Jan 09, 2004, 12:27 PM
I also fly my scratch built IFO in my backyard, which is pretty small, cant beat it for small area flying.
Just another opinion , i guess

Dave
Jan 09, 2004, 07:19 PM
I don't have one iota of Boomer's skills (or knowledge) but after about 6 hours of flying, I can fly the T-IFO in my cul-de-sac. It is very sturdy. From what I have read, the mini-ifo can be flown in smaller areas but requires substantially more skill to fly. Curteks just arrived. Can't wait.
Jan 10, 2004, 08:43 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
I fly my actuator controlled planes in the front yard all the time. Plenty of room for these ~ 1 oz. models. They don't tolerate wind. I've also flown a Bleriot 2, Carbon Falcon, LiteStick, and Clic flying wing in the front yard. I have the advantage of living on a cul-de-sac in a new subdivision. No overhead power lines, no big trees, and plenty of airspace over the cul-de-sac. What is going to work for you depens on the size of the space you have and your skills as a pilot.
Jan 10, 2004, 09:03 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Boomer, I like the hat
Jan 12, 2004, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Well, I live in a "Cul de Sac" type area and my house backs up to a canyon, backyard is 100' by 80' (less canyon).

I"m looking for something simple to fly - at this I'm leaning toward the Slow Stick, yet this bird looks very fragile.

Thanks Chris

The IFO looks very interesting but I've heard they're tough to fly?
Jan 12, 2004, 11:49 AM
Chris,

The T-IFO has dihedral built in and I have to believe is the easiest-to-fly plane there is. You can take the dihedral out and modify easily to fly elevons if you wish. With rudder, elevator control and the dihedral it is extremely easy to fly.
Jan 12, 2004, 11:55 AM
"I'm leaning toward the Slow Stick, yet this bird looks very fragile."

Don't be fooled - it is tough as old boots - it takes a lot to break an aluminium tube or fibreglass wing reinforcements.

Graham
Jan 12, 2004, 01:33 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisw
Well, I live in a "Cul de Sac" type area and my house backs up to a canyon, backyard is 100' by 80' (less canyon).

I"m looking for something simple to fly - at this I'm leaning toward the Slow Stick, yet this bird looks very fragile.

Thanks Chris

The IFO looks very interesting but I've heard they're tough to fly?
I don't think the canyon neighbors would mind if you overfly. You should be fine with about any small electric. The SloStik is quite sturdy. There is one at the local indoor sessions that runs a geared Razor brushless motor and bounces off the steel rafters when the concutive loops get too high.

Does the prevaling wind blow toward your back yard from the canyon? You should consider learing to slope soar if it does.
Jan 12, 2004, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Tiberius

>>Does the prevaling wind blow toward your back yard from the canyon? You should consider learing to slope soar if it does.

Yes, the prevailing wind does blow toward the house and we have a natural up draft from the canyon wall all along the back yards. I envision myself hang launching a nice glider and/or slope bird from our balcony in a few months. I'd like a little more pilot experience before I jump into slope/glider planes - I guess I'm still relying on power to bail me out of a potential problem.

The Slow Stick I'm considering is something brush up on my skills (I've been out of the sky for a few monthes), I currently own couple Unicorns, S&B WWII aircraft and a GWS me-109.

Is it difficult to transition to a slope bird...?
Jan 12, 2004, 03:26 PM
Boomer, that tree on the left in your first picture looks like it has a hungry evil grin on its face!

Quick Reply