This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 10, 2013, 09:11 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini Heli's - guess it had to happen

I guess it was inevitable, I have joined those of you who like to fly helicopters. My investment to this point has been very small, but I am beginning to sense this could become another "addiction" and may get very expensive.

I mistakenly purchased a 2 channel mini-heli - I say mistakenly since all the darned thing wants to do is spin. It looks good, but it doesn't fly for POOP! World Tech product - To be fair, I am sure their 3 and 4 channel versions don't have the same issues.

I started reading some reviews on E-bay of different models and found one that got very high marks from a whole lot of reviewers, so I got one. It is a Syma Gyro S107 which is rated as a 3.5 channel that comes with a 27mhz radio and USB port charger. This one was just want I was looking for. It is easy to fly, and is surprisingly well made. Has flashing LED's and is offered in a number of colors.

I liked it so much I now have three of them. The newer ones are S107G - I'm not able to see any differences between them. I got my neighbor started on one, and he has since purchased 4 more for his grand children. A buddy was helping me build a waterfall in my yard and I showed him my new toys and now he has one!

I am sure there are better models out there but for $20.00 it would be hard to beat these little guys! Syma makes the same models but larger up to about 30" with a 2.4ghz radio for less than $50.00. That has caught my eye - I may have get one?

These little guys are very durable, and can take a beating! If you chop the throttle before it hits anything, they seem to be indestructible. (So far)

I have been reading about different models trying to pick up on which are the birds to consider stepping up to, verses those that are not. It is clear from my reading so far that the bigger they are the harder they fall!

At some point I am sure I'll be looking at something I can fly outside and that will require more skills to fly.

Right now these little guys are good fun and provide some practice even though the 4 channel versions are reported to be harder to fly but better once you get the hang of it. The battery charges up fast and flys for 8 to 10 minutes, which is plenty of time. One of my dogs really likes watching them fly and likes to pounce on one if I land it within her reach.

Great fun so far. I am open to suggestions and thank anyone offering advise.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply