Jan 08, 2004, 01:30 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Thread OP

MicroFan vibration issues...

I recently built a GWS A10 with MicroFans & Acro 280BB motors. On testing the motors & fans uninstalled everything seemed pretty smooth. When I checked the impellers they seemed to be balanced well. However, now that I have the fans installed & mounted on the fusalage I ran a test again. First I used Nicad 10X500's & at half to full throttle there seems to be an excesive amount of vibration. I tested it again with KAN 8X650's & still vibration although not as much. I was planning on running Tanic 3s 2200's.

Any thoughts on causes of the vibration? I noticed the mounting pods(??) seem a bit flimsy. Could this have anything to do with the vibration?

I'm running a MicroFan/Razor 300 in my F-16 & it runs great with no vibration issues. The thrust in the A10 seemed really strong on the 10 cell pack. I'm anxious to get this thing airborne for some testing.

-Mark
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2004, 01:37 PM
Wrap the motor in tape until it fits firmly into the housing.....

This tip was provided by Bob Ruff and it make a big difference.
Jan 08, 2004, 01:59 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Thread OP
Kevin,

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did do that when I installed the motors. But, thanks for the response.

-Mark
Jan 08, 2004, 02:57 PM
Hi Mark

I've had success balancing microfans with a cut-down mag-balancer.........note how close the fan is to the magnet........this seems to be inportant for repeatable results?

Others swear by the the suck-it-and-see method of adding weight to a blade and see itf the fan runs better?

Bad vibration using a Sp300 was cured by oiling the bearings...........but it soon returned?

Steve

Quick Reply