Nov 02, 2018, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
Looks like an example of dynamic soaring but that can't be. It's only a foam DLG. Those are some large fast altitude changes.
Interesting thought. I was just circling a thermal. And not very well.

When conditions are good it is very easy to thermal.
Last edited by boa2110; Nov 02, 2018 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2018, 10:38 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2110

When conditions are good it is very easy to thermal.
When I lived in Las Vegas there were constant thermals rising off the desert. Some would suck the hat off your head. Now I live in Pennsylvania. I've learned to watch for circling vultures. They know where to find lift!
Nov 02, 2018, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Looks like an example of dynamic soaring but that can't be. It's only a foam DLG. Those are some large fast altitude changes.
Quote:
right - it doesn't really match what you would expect for a DLG flight and doesn't seem to show clear altitude values for the start, launch or descent. there also seems to be some odd interaction between the green temperature trace and the yellow altitude trace where every yellow spike shows a small green drop? wondering if maybe there's an issue with power to the altimeter or interference from the radio or servo electronics?
Nov 02, 2018, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyak
there also seems to be some odd interaction between the green temperature trace and the yellow altitude trace where every yellow spike shows a small green drop?
The temperature change made perfect sense to me. I lived in same type of desert. As the airplane ascended the temperature dropped, as it descended the temperature rose. I looks about 90F that flight, a nice cool desert morning?
Nov 02, 2018, 05:50 PM
Quote:
The temperature change made perfect sense to me. I lived in same type of desert. As the airplane ascended the temperature dropped, as it descended the temperature rose. I looks about 90F that flight, a nice cool desert morning?
I noticed the same thing. I think the thermals were popping that morning but I was still learning to thermal.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't want to appear as a know it all.

This is a more recent flight. You can see how I circle when in a thermal.
small thermal (2 min 12 sec)
Last edited by boa2110; Nov 02, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Nov 02, 2018, 07:14 PM
Quote:
The temperature change made perfect sense to me.. as the airplane ascended the temperature dropped, as it descended the temperature rose

aaahhhhh, of COURSE!! thanks! the altimeter trace is still a mystery though... no idea what it's showing
Last edited by ceyak; Nov 02, 2018 at 07:20 PM.
Nov 02, 2018, 07:25 PM
Quote:
This is a more recent flight. You can see how I circle when in a thermal.
NICE!! especially with that hawk in the mix! looks like that super-low AUW really makes your design a terrific thermal bird
Nov 03, 2018, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyak
aaahhhhh, of COURSE!! thanks! the altimeter trace is still a mystery though... no idea what it's showing
A thermal is like a column of air. In the middle of the column there is rising air and sometimes sinking air outside the column. My plane had a hard time entering that column of air and got bounced out. If a plane is too light sometimes it has a hard time penetrating strong wind.

In short the altitude graph shows changes that were caused by the thermal I was circling.

Cheers
Last edited by boa2110; Nov 03, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
Nov 03, 2018, 09:05 AM
Quote:
A thermal is like a column of air. In the middle of the column there is rising air and sometimes sinking air outside the column. My plane had a hard time entering that column of air and got bounced out. If a plane is too light sometimes it has a hard time penetrating strong wind.

In short the altitude graph shows changes that were caused by the thermal I was circling.

Cheers
The altimeter uses air pressure. There might be a relatively large pressure difference in and out of a thermal.
Nov 03, 2018, 09:16 AM
Quote:
The altimeter uses air pressure. There might be a relatively large pressure difference in and out of a thermal.
Good point, I donít remember the plane changing altitude that much.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Nov 03, 2018, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Good point, I don’t remember the plane changing altitude that much.
right, and the graph is showing huge altitude changes of 100+ feet every 5 seconds so the altimeter's sensitivity is being impacted somehow by a pretty large factor - 2x? 10x? seems we can read relative direction of the plane during flight, but not sure how to understand much more?
Last edited by ceyak; Nov 03, 2018 at 11:14 AM.
Nov 04, 2018, 01:50 PM
Calm and 73 degrees today. Love the year round flying here.

1 16 (4 min 35 sec)
Last edited by boa2110; Nov 06, 2018 at 06:09 PM.
Nov 05, 2018, 03:15 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
nice hang time!

We had nice weather for gliding here yesterday. It works out to once a month we get a day where I can fly. LOL!

Quick Reply