Apr 09, 2013, 06:21 PM
Arizona Rim Country

What if you put a KF wing on it

KF stepped wing test glides (2 min 16 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2013, 11:15 PM
Old Prop Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by xardinen
Here are some rough drawings of the DLG. I didn't include details on servo, battery or receiver. I'll try to take some closeups of them and how I've attached them to the boom. I'm currently using two 9g servos, hobbyking 2,4ghz 6ch receiver with custom heatshrink around it and two 3v Nikon camerabatteries. Each winghalf is covered separately with clear packing tape. I would recommend keeping the boom longer allowing you to experiment with gear placement. Feel free to ask anything

Edit: Since I only use one servo for ailerons cambering ailerons is not an option for me. It should be easy to insert two servos into the wing for full flap action.
Thanks for the drawing. Some more pictures of the gear mounting and how you secured the wings to the boom would great. Is the wing made out of 6mm Depron like the tail? What is diameter of your carbon boom?
Thanks in advance
Gary
Apr 10, 2013, 01:11 AM
Looks really neat. Be nice to also post something on the hlg forum. Also some pics. I started a thread there referencing back to this, but some pics would be interesting.

Gary
Apr 10, 2013, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt
What if you put a KF wing on it
He's already using AG35 which is a very high performance airfoil used by competition DLGs. Downgrading to KF will severely reduce performance. If you don't have a hot wire cutter then it may be worth it (there is in fact a DLG design using KF but it doesn't do the "thermal on the lightest bubble" thing - it's more of a slope soarer)
Apr 10, 2013, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb
Thanks for the drawing. Some more pictures of the gear mounting and how you secured the wings to the boom would great. Is the wing made out of 6mm Depron like the tail? What is diameter of your carbon boom?
Thanks in advance
Gary
The wing is white foam, glued to the boom. If you glue it with epoxy, be sure to remove any tape between the boom and wing. I've used hot melt glue with great success. I would recommend using atleast 7mm carbon boom. I've tried tinner but it ended up snapping in launch.
Apr 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
Old Prop Buster
Xardinen:
Thanks if I would have payed better attention I could have saw the wing could not be made out of 6mm Depron, Duh. If looks like you had to add weight to front?
Gary
Apr 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb
Xardinen:
Thanks if I would have payed better attention I could have saw the wing could not be made out of 6mm Depron, Duh. If looks like you had to add weight to front?
Gary
No problems . I havent added any weight to the nose, why do you think that? The silver cylinder is one of the batteries.
Apr 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
What about a Built up Depron Pod.. ?
Apr 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
Old Prop Buster
Quote:
No problems . I havent added any weight to the nose, why do you think that? The silver cylinder is one of the batteries.
I thought the silver rectangle pieces under the servos and receiver looked like weights. I sometimes on my scratchbuilds will shape lead weights and attach them to balance the model.
Apr 10, 2013, 04:44 PM
Nice work. Do you have a launch peg, or just throw without one?
Apr 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
Standing Athwart History
Sweet.
Apr 10, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rather be flyin
Very cool design!
tom83
Apr 11, 2013, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan smith
What about a Built up Depron Pod.. ?
I could work, Im using a coke bottle pod. I made a plug and heated a coke bottle around it to get the desired shape.

I don't use a launch peg. Since the plane is quite small and light it's possible to just pinch the wing with your fingers.
Apr 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Quote:
I don't use a launch peg. Since the plane is quite small and light it's possible to just pinch the wing with your fingers.
I find launch pegs useful even on small planes. Pinching sometimes doesn't allow the plane to swivel along the flight path and so can add a bit yaw in the launch forced by your fingers. A peg makes launches much more consistent. Even with a peg I needed lots of practice to learn not to hook my fingers around the peg to prevent forcing a yaw onto the plane.

But I've seen some people do very consistent launches by pinching so I guess it depends on the person.
Apr 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Very nice and interesting model. DLGs kind of interest me, but the price tag is a bit steep, unless your competing. I have carbon arrow shafts that are 8mm OD that should work.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project

Quick Reply