Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 07, 2013, 03:51 PM
Discussion

Cheap, simple foam DLG

Hello
Ever since I started with this hobby I've always wanted to try flying a dlg. But because of the high price or advanced building techniques needed I haven't tried it yet. So I decided to make one with simple methods and easily attainable materials. The result is a 1.2 meter dlg with a hot wire cutted foam wing glued to a carbon boom. The tail fins are made out of depron and tape. Clear packing tape is the only reinforcement to the main wing. Despite it's simplicity it flies great! The launch is straight and it tracks really well. Thanks to the AG35 airfoil it floats well in dead air and thermals great from small bubbles. The rising air from a black sheet metal roof heated by the sun is enough to make this plane ascend into the sky.
The current setup is elevator/ailerons with servos glued to the boom in the nose.

This is a short video of the plane in dead air, Im sorry for the bad quality and sh*tty launch:
Homemade foam DLG plane (0 min 39 sec)

We had some problems with exploding horizontal stabs earlier that day, which is why I didnt launch it with full power.

Feel free to ask anything and I'll be happy to reply!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2013, 04:03 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Looks REAL good !
Apr 07, 2013, 06:31 PM
First question is on the gear, servos, battery, weight then "PLANS" Please .

I would not be able to launch like the rest, so I should not be able to exp[lode the tail feathers.

Buzz.
Apr 07, 2013, 06:34 PM
When pigs fly rc
very cool i need one
Apr 07, 2013, 08:06 PM
skumgummi dave
xardinen:

Wow! Very well done. Yes please , tell us more....

Dave-
Apr 07, 2013, 09:18 PM
Andres Lu
Very nice! When should we expect plans?

-Andres
Apr 08, 2013, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the positive response! I can tell you that this is the diy foam DLG that I was waiting for someone else to make, but since that didnt happen I finally took the step and did it myself . I dont have plans but I will try to make something with Google sketchup later today or tomorrow. Btw, the AUW is around 200g.
Apr 08, 2013, 06:09 AM
Andres Lu
Ok, thanks!!!

-Andres
Apr 08, 2013, 07:01 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Ooooh I want one !!
Apr 08, 2013, 07:59 AM
Winging it Ò>
Excellent work. Your glider looks like it flies very well.

Usually inexpensive and locally available materials are not words you see with a good performing dlg. Good job!!

Looking forward to seeing the details of your creation.
Apr 08, 2013, 09:11 PM
Old Prop Buster
Nice work xardinen, look what you started. We all want to build one!
Gary
Apr 09, 2013, 03:20 AM
Sorry for the delay. Ive started making some plans in Illustrator which I'll hopefully post here tonight (swedish time). I know there is much room for improvements which you can help me point out.
Apr 09, 2013, 06:36 AM
Andres Lu
Quote:
Originally Posted by xardinen
Sorry for the delay. Ive started making some plans in Illustrator which I'll hopefully post here tonight (swedish time). I know there is much room for improvements which you can help me point out.
That's fine..........and I cant wait!

I've personally been waiting for this to come up for a while. Thanks!!!

-Andres
Apr 09, 2013, 11:17 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
one lil tip... for Camber adjustments in flight add Full span ailerons, Apart from that Rock On!!!
Apr 09, 2013, 03:35 PM
Here are some rough drawings of the DLG. I didn't include details on servo, battery or receiver. I'll try to take some closeups of them and how I've attached them to the boom. I'm currently using two 9g servos, hobbyking 2,4ghz 6ch receiver with custom heatshrink around it and two 3v Nikon camerabatteries. Each winghalf is covered separately with clear packing tape. I would recommend keeping the boom longer allowing you to experiment with gear placement. Feel free to ask anything

Edit: Since I only use one servo for ailerons cambering ailerons is not an option for me. It should be easy to insert two servos into the wing for full flap action.
Last edited by xardinen; Apr 09, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply