Sep 03, 2013, 05:18 AM
Opt
Opt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
Saw your vid, cool! I'm still looking around for Edge RED BULL epo mainframe since i love to fly acro and 3d FPV too. Its very rare to find one online. Looks like your Mustang using simple OSD board. How far you've reached on Mustang?
Thanks, that was the second fpv flight I had with it (smashed it up on the first one when the cam came loose) so havent been out more than 1km. I rebuilt it and took lots of weight out and now it flies great so i'm keen to push it.

Your cockpit looks great. Are the gauges etc a printout? I've been thinking about putting in some window frames like yours too
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2013, 08:52 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Yup, the gauges are printout from pc flight sim mustang panel, it was a instant fix for my scale needs. My cockpit windows i cut out on front and sides only leaving the upper canopy plastic just to maintain the scale looks and outline shape of my Mustang.
Sep 05, 2013, 08:42 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Just compiled my latest flight video on scale FPV P-51D Mustang. Enjoy

My video FPV flight: P-51D Pilot's Sky Adventure
Here's a video summary of some of my great scale FPV flights inside P-51D Mustang.
Wing span: 960mm
FPV P-51D Mustang - Pilot's sky adventure (7 min 8 sec)
Sep 05, 2013, 09:42 AM
Hello

Well, I suppose I might as well check in here too. I'm also into scale fpv myself. Nothing airworthy yet (more or less) but I'm getting there! Full build log is on fpvlab, but fpvlab has been down for a day or two

So, how about some impression of what I'm doing?

F-16 cockpit controls (0 min 22 sec)

F-16 head tracker (0 min 27 sec)

F-16 flight controls (0 min 30 sec)

Honestly, I have no clue on how to actually add videos. But I suppose this should work too
Sep 05, 2013, 11:49 AM
Heya! First of all, nice videos here! love the P-51
So I suppose I might put this here as well... I'm building an fpv F-16 myself, of course with the scale cockpit and hands & legs 'n stuff. I haven't fpv'ed her yet, but the LOS maiden occurred about two weeks ago. Will probably be able to fpv (and record cockpit footage! ) in the near future! So here you go

Cockpit controls:
F-16 cockpit controls (0 min 22 sec)

H/T:
F-16 head tracker (0 min 27 sec)

Flight surfaces & edf:
F-16 flight controls (0 min 30 sec)

LOS maiden:
F16 LOS maiden flight (4 min 52 sec)

The fpv maiden has been delayed by a defective camera and later a defective lcd connector in my goggles. Fat shark is currently repairing them for me (), and I'm all set to go once I get them back!

The whole build can be found on FPVlab, which is unfortunately down right now
Sep 05, 2013, 04:10 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
This is really nice especially given the size of the model you are using!

Can you share some more details on your setup?
Sep 05, 2013, 07:29 PM
ultra cheap pilot
The airframe is Arttech/HK P-51 Mustang, 960mm wingspan, lightweight EPS foam. Stock on motor and servo. Durafly 4 blade prop, 30A Turnigy Plush ESC, 5.8gz 200mw vtx with tuned clover leaf antenna, 808 #16 HD keychain cam live video output with 120 degree lens, modded HXT900 servo 180 degree view panning, Frsky XP telemetry radio receiver, Arkbird autopilot OSD/GPS RTH and everthing run on single 1000mah 3S 35C Zippy compact lipo.
Sep 05, 2013, 10:44 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Quote:
The airframe is Arttech/HK P-51 Mustang, 960mm wingspan, lightweight EPS foam. Stock on motor and servo. Durafly 4 blade prop, 30A Turnigy Plush ESC, 5.8gz 200mw vtx with tuned clover leaf antenna, 808 #16 HD keychain cam live video output with 120 degree lens, modded HXT900 servo 180 degree view panning, Frsky XP telemetry radio receiver, Arkbird autopilot OSD/GPS RTH and everthing run on single 1000mah 3S 35C Zippy compact lipo.
That's a great answer, thank you. I like your use of simple / lightweight / cheap stuff.

Did I read in your video that you had and OSD with RTH etc as well? A lot to pack into a small plane...
Sep 05, 2013, 11:08 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Yup, i put the heaviest hardware on CG point and lowest based on mainframe to get a good balancing point, that trick works on small plane for instant stability and balancing.

I would remove any excessive wire length, useless plastics, surplus screws, extra foam and other unnecessary parts out of the plane to keep the weight down and have a safe flight.

OSD and autopilot is a necessity for my FPV, pick the best and perfect fit inside the small fuselage. The result a small scale plane that have equal performance and full autonomous FPV capability just like its bigger rival without look like a frankenstien. hehehe
Sep 06, 2013, 04:04 AM
Is 1000mah 3s enough? What is your flight time? I'm running on (combined) 3250mah (3s) myself, and my plane is about the same size. Of course that's an edf, but 1000mah seems not a lot to me really.

I have similar electric planes, generally a bit smaller, but they all fly on 2250 (even the non-edf). Only my swift flies on 1000mah (and I bet that's lighter than your mustang / better wing performance) and I find it rather limiting in terms of flight time. How much do you generally get?
Sep 06, 2013, 04:59 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Yes enough, it runs around 12 minutes if flown at high altitude with max distance of 3km. Arttech planes are very light and very floaty plane. I use hard 4x blade Durafly for extra torque. The plane battery bay fit exactly 1000mah 3s only. Overall weight is between 560gram after removing unnecessary stuff inside the fuselage. I like the agility of scale plane than glider because they have responsive movement. I flown FPV gliders but no longer fly them.

Btw love your scale FPV F-16. Is it SAPAC F-16? Awesome build. I love the functional throttle stick inside your cockpit, awesomeness!. Wish i could jump in into FPV EDF someday but my F-18 and A-10 only give me 7 minutes. I was thinking putting a pusher prop if im in.
Last edited by ican3d; Sep 06, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Sep 06, 2013, 05:17 AM
Scale FPV now there's an idea.
FPV ParkZone S.E.5a 2nd flight gopro 3 black edition (3 min 49 sec)

Old School FPV Since 1914 RAF S.E.5a by aceflyernz (5 min 44 sec)
Sep 06, 2013, 05:35 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Oh sweetttt!!!!!!i love the view over the wings!! Awesomeness +500!
Ouch the landing.

What lipo did you use and runtime?
Where did you put your vtx?
Last edited by ican3d; Sep 06, 2013 at 05:41 AM.
Sep 06, 2013, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Oh sweetttt!!!!!!i love the view over the wings!! Awesomeness +500!
Ouch the landing.

What lipo did you use and runtime?
Where did you put your vtx?
Thanks, I get about 6-7 minutes on an old 2200 mah pack and I just cable tied the
vtx to the exhaust, the landings are a bit rough without the wheels on.
I like the view with the camera behined the wings.

Here is my trojan with the # 18 key cam
FPV T-28 Trojan #18 keychain camera with live AV out test flight. (2 min 39 sec)
Sep 06, 2013, 06:22 AM
There's something about those warbirds that just makes them look really cool. Must be the wings or something!

And damn, 560 grams is light! With throttle management I suppose it should be possible to fly 10+ mins.
The f16 is a cheap one, the airframe only version is like $37. It's from HK, but I don' know the brand. It's supposed to weigh 650 grams, but it's over 1 kg now. The fan gives it a thrust/weight of almost 1:1 now though, and heavy jets = speed, dragging and generally the typical jet-like performance. It's powered by a 3s 2250mah 40c lipo, and a 1000mah 3s lipo on the video (also balancing the CG). Flight time will always be an issue on edf's. I'll be happy if I can get a good five minutes while fpv'ing this. So it won't be a long flight, but it should be a blast. If you can get 7min on LOS, you should be able to get an acceptable flight time. Of course, bigger = better. My next project will probably be a 90mm or twin 70mm. It's a stupid platform for fpv though. The only thing it has is the cool-factor, which is exactly why I built it. I've yet to make a pic of the cockpit view, but it's pretty cool-looking so far!

I might put a warbird on fpv too sometime. More practical flight times & batteries. I just hope such a thing would still be fun after flying a 600W f16, have to keep my inner speed freak happy!

Cheers