Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 18, 2017, 01:46 PM
fly by night
Breakthrough again for scale FPV, Aussie!
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2017, 02:34 PM
bof
bof
aka RoboBiggles and RoboFritz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
And one more, I'll leave y'all alone now

Test flight doing something I've never done before... two independent fpv setups on the same plane so I can literally take a passenger for a ride.
And Blisters volunteered to try the passenger seat in the rear of my CZ Trojan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a0bhgxZZwk
Lovely job on both vids - I'm now hankering after one of those 2m Trojans!!
May 18, 2017, 08:18 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
Breakthrough again for scale FPV, Aussie!
Ha ha thanks BC, in all sincerity that's a compliment received from you in high regard, cheers!
May 18, 2017, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bof
Lovely job on both vids - I'm now hankering after one of those 2m Trojans!!
I have been very very surprised how well this 2000mm foamie flies, I was expecting to be disappointed because she floats so much and LOS is almost too comfortable lol but honestly, she incredible. Caviat though, I do have a motor almost 3x larger than stock and twice the cell count with far more lipo weight, no doubt this would help but yep, if you can spare the cash and don't mind doing some upgrade mods, I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed
May 18, 2017, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
Yes!!! That is awesome!

I've been wanting to do something like that.

Would you mind sharing your complete setup?
Pretty cool, I must admit!
This has been in conceptual stage for a loooong time, being on holidays with more than a week of wind & rain coerced me into it lol

I've detailed the setup on my blog, 2nd page, included in my initial woes with this plane lol
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...73&postcount=1

But there's no technical magic, it really is simply an identical fpv setup on the plane, but to have the 2nd complete pan/tilt you need a complete 2nd rc setup, along with video of course.

Pics below
May 18, 2017, 10:07 PM
Can the back seater take control of the aircraft?
May 18, 2017, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
Can the back seater take control of the aircraft?
Nope, I had considered it but decided I wouldn't open that can of worms just yet lol too many potential issues to resolve but once I finish some other projects I'll venture back to the possibility of dual controls. One of the primary goals for dual fpv was exactly that- to be able to offer flight training... I'm just not techo minded enough to have the confidence to share primary control, not with trainer ports already used for both head trackers, and it *needs* to be set up so the pilot can assume control in an instant and overide the trainee pilot, whether this would be the pilot's inputs are prioritised over the trainee inputs, or some sort of switch (not unlike the regular trainer switch when on buddy box lead).
I had considered installing a flight controller to put into auto circling mode or even return to home so the plane is flying autonomously, giving time to hand over the RC controller, sharing the one rc controller for aircraft control. This keeps it simple in as much as using only the one controller, flick of a switch has the plane in auto pilot.
First I wanted to make sure the concept of dual fpv works, now​ I know it does, and it does work very well. I'll enjoy it as it is for a while, and she is a bunch of fun, later I'll revisit dual or shared control.

If someone has an idea on shared dual control I'd love to hear suggestions
May 18, 2017, 10:48 PM
fly by night
side by side monitors. hand over the RC radio

easiest way to share flying is with FPV monitor imho. goggs makes it difficult. but monitors mean you miss out on headtracking

though I suppose using something like Spektrum wireless trainer port would be a solution too, but probably complicates using the headtracking too
May 18, 2017, 10:52 PM
How about using a simple buddy mode / trainer setup? One set of channels for controls, two pan tilt mounts two cameras. Either one vtx with a cideo switcher or just use two well-spaced video channels.
May 18, 2017, 10:53 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levendis
How about using a simple buddy mode / trainer setup? One set of channels for controls, two pan tilt mounts two cameras. Either one vtx with a cideo switcher or just use two well-spaced video channels.
then they miss out on using the goggles' headtracking. HT often uses up the trainer port - however some UHF modules allow external HT plug in
May 19, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
side by side monitors. hand over the RC radio

easiest way to share flying is with FPV monitor imho. goggs makes it difficult. but monitors mean you miss out on headtracking

though I suppose using something like Spektrum wireless trainer port would be a solution too, but probably complicates using the headtracking too
I agree with using monitors, particularly if this was a dedicated flight school setup, in reality I'll most likely mostly be flying solo with occasional passenger, and even less occasionally flight lessons.
Ages ago I had started converting a gaming joystick to rc, this would make it a lot easier to hand over but would still require an auto pilot I think. Unless there'd be a way to switch from one joystick to another, so that'd be 2 joysticks on one rc controller board/transmitter with the switch selecting only one or the other joystick... if that makes sense... regardless I guess it is increasing complexity again...
I think my Dragon V2 (or V3? Can't remember lol) has a HT port but i could never get it to be consistent, for whatever reason.
Trying to keep it simple...
May 19, 2017, 05:30 AM
SEcond tx that controls the second headtracker only.

Having said that, the most practical arrangment i have for training / giving rides is pilot A flies LoS, passenger B gets headtracker and goggles. Pilot A sometimes has an additional monitor so can switch to fpv occasionally but always keeping los.
Quote:
then they miss out on using the goggles' headtracking. HT often uses up the trainer port - however some UHF modules allow external HT plug in
May 19, 2017, 10:46 AM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levendis
SEcond tx that controls the second headtracker only. .
problem is integrating the headtracking while the trainer port tied up as buddy box.

I thought AH already did this? Pilot has his Tx and HT-goggles. Passenger has another Tx and HT-goggles (or possible using sticks, I dunno). Both trainer ports are tied up by the HT-goggles. He's looking for a way to sync/trade the common controls. I don;'t think possible becuase the trainer ports are both tied up, although might be able to do something using external trainer ports on UHF modules.

However I think this might work using advanced programming, if the both can give up on HT, freeing up their trainer ports. but fancy programming to retain P&T gimbal control:
- program the main flight Tx with an advanced program for the gimbal not using HT. perhaps a 3 position switch with 3 modes, swapping out gimbal controls on left stick with slider and then third mode handing off to the trainer port.
- have 2nd Tx with advanced program for his gimbal, also no HT. controls gimbal with right stick normally. BUt when they switch, he flips to another program mode and his right stick takes control of the roll& pitch (maybe mix roll& yaw together), while the left stick takes over the gimbal, using slider for throttle
- alternative: use uhf module to gain at least 1 Hedtracker-in

I've done this kind of programming for the gimbal (eg on my MIA scale ultralight), when I was using HD goggles w/o HT but needed acute rudder control on Takeoff but in flight I mixed rudder&ail and turned on left stick to control pan and slider for tilt. Taranis makes this programming easy, but never hear of people using Taranis for buddyboxing.
May 19, 2017, 05:18 PM
Quote:
I thought AH already did this? Pilot has his Tx and HT-goggles. Passenger has another Tx and HT-goggles....
Yep, 2 independent systems.
I have my usual primary Futaba 10C rc control (FrSky rcTx module) with head tracking using the trainer port and 5.8ghz video on channel 7.
Passenger (in this case it was Blisters) has their own independent Futaba 9C rc control (FrSky rcTx module) with head tracking using his own trainer port and 5.8ghz on channel 4.
Blisters has his own FatShark Domv3 goggs, I have put together a cheap DIY Quanum HMD's but I think I'll look at buying some Domv3 goggs, the Quanums really are uncomfortable lol
If HD video had CCD cams on offer I'd buy into the HD market in a heartbeat, that would be perfect for this bird but I refuse to view through venetian blur lol

BC, you've hurt my head lol
I won't worry about the flight tutoring controls issue for now, but at the moment I'm leaning toward using an auto pilot fc, simply put into auto circle/loiter or rth, then it's a relaxed handover. Added bonus is there's also stabilised flight mode in case the trainee has an "oh cr@p" moment...

I have the setup on my blog but here's a couple of pics to show the existing setup
Last edited by AussieHoppy; May 19, 2017 at 05:23 PM.
May 20, 2017, 09:37 AM
AIRBORNE
Shared a lot of these out to our page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1236119743089801/

Some really great vids in here!