New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2013, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by Matty12
Hey Matt,
As we were just discussing, the Corsair is tricky to balance because the cockpit is so far back, ends up with the need for lots of ballast in the nose which can suck, if you have a look through the last few pages you'll see a few corsairs and tricks the owners have used.
I used a 808 #16 as a flight cam today, I have to say that the video quality really sucks but I think that they are generally pretty stable from what I've gathered.

I was flying my P-47 today, all the bells and whistles now, PZ2040 camera, TPR mount, cockpit mod with moving arms on stick and throttle, head tracking and all. The result is just breathtaking, so realistic, just amazing! The best thing is that it's just enjoyable to fly like that, I could do it all day!

In other news my F-16 went down today, I wasn't even able to retrieve the wreck. Was flying FPV and going well, then the nose went down and that was it... Not sure what the crash was, it had RTH but wasn't working due to GPS wiring issues. I was banking gently and thought I had enough airspeed but most likely tip stalled and lost radio control behind the dunes as she dove.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2013, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post
Hey Matt,
As we were just discussing, the Corsair is tricky to balance because the cockpit is so far back, ends up with the need for lots of ballast in the nose which can suck, if you have a look through the last few pages you'll see a few corsairs and tricks the owners have used.
I used a 808 #16 as a flight cam today, I have to say that the video quality really sucks but I think that they are generally pretty stable from what I've gathered.

I was flying my P-47 today, all the bells and whistles now, PZ2040 camera, TPR mount, cockpit mod with moving arms on stick and throttle, head tracking and all. The result is just breathtaking, so realistic, just amazing! The best thing is that it's just enjoyable to fly like that, I could do it all day!

In other news my F-16 went down today, I wasn't even able to retrieve the wreck. Was flying FPV and going well, then the nose went down and that was it... Not sure what the crash was, it had RTH but wasn't working due to GPS wiring issues. I was banking gently and thought I had enough airspeed but most likely tip stalled and lost radio control behind the dunes as she dove.

Thanks Matty Best part for me is that I already have most of this stuff, I read you on the CG affected by the cockpit position on the Corsair, will probably go with the PZ 109 then, also have a twin foamy B-25 too, so another possible candidate

Will have a way to go on the learning curve, but man, this looks awesome, and for me, ( as well as you guys) you get the best of both worlds

I like the idea of redundancy too, so will need to start getting some cash sorted to buy an Arkbird, or other autopilot system.

Thanks anyway, will get started in the next couple of days, sorry to hear about your crash, maybe servo failure, or disconnected elevator? Either way a bummer
Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Addy
maiden FPV, it was already late so it is a bit dark but it gives a idea of my F-16 cockpit. Video is uncut and i forgot to turn off the recorder so it is a bit long with some footage of my son and a fellow that was there with his son.
It is the J-015 "Orange" from the Dutch air force

F16 maiden uncut (8 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 11, 2013, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by Fred Van_H
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Pleeeeeeeeeeease tell us how to make an airspeed indicator like that!
Hi,
Some photos :

Albert Etévé Was a french engineer. He invented this airspeed indicator in the beginning of the 20's century. It saved many lives.

It inspired me and I made my indicators on an almost identical principle

I make them with pressure indicators I strip.

I keep only the mechanism of the needle

Then, I solder an harm with a pivot.
a lever with a very little trailling surface on his top, pulls the little lever of the mechanism, and make the needle move.

Test combat tournoyant courte (2 min 14 sec)

remorquage en immersion / FPV glider towing (4 min 56 sec)

It don't work if the motor is in the nose, of course.

Twin Otter

En attendant le bateau (4 min 12 sec)

It's very apropriate when the plane have not a too large speed range, but for this flying wing, it is difficult to tune. I should add a second spring.

dimanche chasse au sky (5 min 25 sec)

Pitot Kapelec :

It's an OSD altimeter modifief by an electronician friend of mine, to use it as a speed sensor, and drive a servo instead of OSD .

It moves the same kind of needle mechanism.

Essai de mon bimoteur "Aspic" en immersion (9 min 29 sec)

X8

A picooz's motor is used as a generator. It gives electricity to move the speed gauge ( a galvanometer ) and give a tension information depending of the plane's speed, to the telemetry frsky reciever, to drive the force feedback of my joystick. An other way for the scale feeling of piloting

Fred
Last edited by Fred Van_H; Nov 15, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Very cool!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks.

I edited my previous message.

Fred
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Castel101
Wow, that's really cool Fred. Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by subsonic
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Thanks for sharing all this info Fred. I really like the hacked OSD airspeed sensor to drive the servo, but since I have no way of making the little board that drives it, I suppose that's out.

I really like the galvanometer (ammeter) driven by the little motor and prop. I have a really tiny motor or two at home that i could hack, and an old transmitter that wouldn't mind giving up it's volt meter for the gauge. I assume I can calibrate it with different "props" or by changing the resistor in a simple circuit. I will have a play and see what I come up with.

Thanks mate
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:26 PM
So inspired by Fred's post above, last night I made a rough attempt to see what it takes to make an airspeed indicator that I can see from the cockpit. I started with a small indoor motor that I had in the parts drawer, it’s a tiny thing, about 6mm diameter and made a “turbine” for it out of a coke can, folded over and pressed on. I made up a quick and dodgy mount, wired it up to my volt meter and taped it to the side mirror of my car for the trip to work this morning!

Result – Success! The little turbine starts turning at about 10km/hr and at 50km/hr the voltage output is 0.45. At 70, V = 1.00 and at 100, V=1.3. we have a roughly linear airspeed to Voltage ratio, so I don’t see a reason why I can’t make this work. Now for the hard part which is to get a gauge that works at that scale.

I’ve just ordered one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150965221...84.m1497.l2649 which displays up to 2.0V full scale, but it only sweeps over about 45°. When it arrives I’ll hack it apart and see if I can scale it’s dimensions down a bit to fit along side the other instruments in my Cub. Maybe with a better turbine I can get some more voltage out of the generator too. I’ll keep you all posted. :-)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by ican3d
flying ninja!
Killer fpv scale!! cool work Fred. Will inspired some scale fpv enthusiast to push to scale realism.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
That is pretty awesome scale ASI work there, Fred

I have thought about making a wing strut ASI like that old school one for my Tiger Moth. Would only be able to see it when panning the cam to see the strut.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
I have a 1/4 scale cub that I would love to FPV but probably will sell as it barely fits in my car

I love these "real" instruments! They'd go in the cub!! I have been mulling over this project.

I think I would do it with
1. Arduino nano
2. pitot tube airspeed kit https://store.3drobotics.com/product...ith-mpxv7002dp
3. BMP085 barometric pressure sensor
4. voltage divider to measure lipo voltage
5. 3 micro servos to make the "dials" for speed, altitude and voltage
5. Some LEDs for voltage and airspeed warning
most of the code could be borrowed from examples on the internet but somebody like Dennis Frie could put the code together in his sleep, you guys should badger him for it
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Matty12
I love where this is going

I know that Dennis already has a few OSD projects on the go, it seems a bit lazy compared to Freds awesome airspeed indicators but a few sensors hooked to an arduino which outputs to a bank of servos instead of a video output would be awesome.

From what I know of arduino, it would be pretty easy to adapt one of the existing projects to fit (I probably have the skills and enough programming background but don't have the time).

Wow Mike, what an idea. You could have a full set of instruments, the only limit would be your fine motor skills and vision. I don't think I would fit many instruments into my 1/11 scale warbird though.

Another thought, though also a bit lazy, would be to have an LCD display on the dash of your aircraft (don't laugh now, it's been done) to display your instruments... It could be reconfigurable depending on what you wanted to do with your aircraft (i.e. sport flying, long range etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
I have a 1/4 scale cub that I would love to FPV but probably will sell as it barely fits in my car

I love these "real" instruments! They'd go in the cub!! I have been mulling over this project.

1. Arduino nano
2. pitot tube airspeed kit https://store.3drobotics.com/product...ith-mpxv7002dp
most of the code could be borrowed from examples on the internet but somebody like Dennis Frie could put the code together in his sleep, you guys should badger him for it
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post

Another thought, though also a bit lazy, would be to have an LCD display on the dash of your aircraft (don't laugh now, it's been done) to display your instruments... It could be reconfigurable depending on what you wanted to do with your aircraft (i.e. sport flying, long range etc).
A solution similar to this is easy if you use Eagle Tree, their power panel is pretty small and can be configured to display 4 parameters. I have one for my Supercub, but need to build a new dash to house it.

sub
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
1. Arduino nano
My friend who helped me for the force feedback, is going to do something like that : eagle three pitot in he plane, frsky telemetry, arduino card and servos to move needles on the ground.
That's why he was so interested when I asked him if it would be possible to drive a servo on the ground, with informations coming from the air.
It's on my forum :
http://aerofred.forumgratuit.org/t15...le-en-i2c#2073
http://aerofred.forumgratuit.org/t7p45-retour-de-force

Fred
Last edited by Fred Van_H; Nov 15, 2013 at 06:41 AM.