FrSky Taranis - 16 Channels, Full Telemetry, RSSI - Page 601 - RC Groups
May 28, 2014, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo72
It was mentioned here before (by me), but check the measurements on that switch, its really too big, and probably too stiff too. However I contacted the people that made it, and they expressed interest in making a smaller version more suitable for our radio's. Whether anything will come from that, I dont know.

Doh! I missed that post. >.<
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2014, 06:53 PM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Hmmm, you know what I just realized and never thought about.....if I copy a programmed model that I have already flown with, and pasted it in companion (or in the TX) to create another duplicate model, do the trims that have been adjusted from flight also transfer to that new model since I copied and pasted it? I sure hope not, but I would assume they would unfortunately.
May 28, 2014, 07:15 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Yes, the current trims are part of the model's eepm so they will follow when doing a copy/paste.

Ted

edit - Wow, this thread just topped 30K posts in just over a year! I wonder if there any others that are larger?
May 28, 2014, 07:17 PM
Damn, bummer. I should have thought of that sooner. I may need to keep a few templates that are of setup but unflown planes so they can always be copied and pasted without trims to worry about. Thanks Ted.
May 28, 2014, 07:20 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT
Damn, bummer. I should have thought of that sooner. I may need to keep a few templates that are of setup but unflown planes so they can always be copied and pasted without trims to worry about. Thanks Ted.
That's no big deal about the trims. You can set them back to neutral in Companion, Flight Modes page, FM0 (that's FM zero).

Ted
May 28, 2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks Ted, I'll look for that in Companion. I haven't done resetting of the trims to nuetral in Companion yet, only in TX by pushing the trim switches until they hit the center.
May 28, 2014, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
no it not new working fine till update to 1.99.4
i put the old firm ware on it it works but now i cant wright to eeprom
i can read it and right to it as soon as it reboot i get eeprom error
When it gives you the EEPROM error you will need to choose to format the EEPROM.
Then turn off the transmitter and turn it back on. You should not get the EEPROM error the next time you turn it back on.
IF THAT'S the case -- then turn it off again.
Now follow this procedure: (This should work as you should have the bootloader if you had previous versions of 1.99 on the transmitter)

1. With transmitter turned off push the RUD and AIL trims to the center while powering up the Tx.
2. Connect the tx with USB. - the microSD and the TARANIS volumes will mount.
3. Copy the new firmware file from it's location to the microSD card in a folder named "FIRMWARES"
4. Disconnect and power down the transmitter.
5. With transmitter turned off push the RUD and AIL to the center while powering up the Tx.
6. Choose update the firmware.
7. Choose the firmware you put on the microSD card. -- press ENT a couple times and you're good.
Last edited by scott page; May 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
May 28, 2014, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
When it gives you the EEPROM error you will need to choose to format the EEPROM.
Then turn off the transmitter and turn it back on. You should not get the EEPROM error the next time you turn it back on.
Now follow this procedure: (This should work as you should have the bootloader if you had previous versions of 1.99 on the transmitter)

1. With transmitter turned off push the RUD and AIL to the center while powering up the Tx.
3. Copy the new firmware file from it's location to the microSD card in a folder named "FIRMWARES"
5. With transmitter turned off push the RUD and AIL to the center while powering up the Tx.
7. Choose the firmware you put on the microSD card. -- press ENT a couple times and you're good.
Scott, that should be RUD and AIL trims, correct?
I found that I didn't need to follow that process in step one - both volumes mounted and I could copy to/from the card (r2942M).
May 28, 2014, 10:56 PM
melbourne-multirotor
Quote:

1. With transmitter turned off push the RUD and AIL to the center while powering up the Tx.
Thank for your help tried new install 1.99.4 still would not read sd card
and every time read and write to eeprom keep getting data error had to reformat it
the only i got it to work was install companion9 all good now
i say windows 8.1 error writing the firmware
is there a special way i have install usb drivers under 1.99.4 ?
Last edited by yak-54; May 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM.
May 28, 2014, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV12Steve
Scott, that should be RUD and AIL trims, correct?
I found that I didn't need to follow that process in step one - both volumes mounted and I could copy to/from the card (r2942M).
good catch -- corrected my post
May 28, 2014, 11:20 PM
melbourne-multirotor
Ha i see now one must use bootload to upload models

not like before plug it in an go
May 28, 2014, 11:25 PM
melbourne-multirotor
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca
load companion use a different config by taking or adding a checkmark to download a variation of the firmware from the repository and reflash
Thanks for your help All good now on 1.99.4 with the naza LoL i plug servo in it work as it should
had to do a calibration on naza congfig tool so it new where its end point are
May 29, 2014, 12:53 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Right on great stuff
May 29, 2014, 03:05 AM
melbourne-multirotor
Quote:
Right on great stuff
your Quad man where is the best place mounting position for the X8R pcb antennas
May 29, 2014, 04:16 AM
I love to tilt
Quote:
your Quad man where is the best place mounting position for the X8R pcb antennas
The link below may not be the best thread, but it is one I started for precisely this information. Have a read through and especially watch the video of polarization posted by KC, it's interesting stuff.

Here is is:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2158458
May 29, 2014, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Depends on the type of aerial that you have with X8R, if short then you need to avoid any carbon fibre or metal contact, with a quad no real need for one aerial to be vertical the other horizontal unless your quad spend a lot of time at weird angles or upside down.

Best to make sure they are 90 degrees to each other but on the same plane for a quad, read up on 'diversity' in a good aerials forum.

Good idea to get some long aerial so you can mount them away from the vehicle say at the bottom of the non carbon fibre landing struts.

David
May 29, 2014, 04:45 AM
I love to tilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSP
The link below may not be the best thread, but it is one I started for precisely this information. Have a read through and especially watch the video of polarization posted by KC, it's interesting stuff.

Here is is:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2158458
In summary:

If your transmitter antenna is held in the vertical plane (pointing straight up), then also mount the 2 Rx PCB antennae in the vertical plane. If, like me, your transmitter antenna is in the horizontal plane, then probably best to mount the 2 RX PCB antennae also in the horizontal plane, preferably on the underside of the quad and at right angles to each other.
May 29, 2014, 04:59 AM

Taranis

Hello everyone!

From Quaternium que have bet for this radio with very good results with our beta-pilots and costumers.
May 29, 2014, 05:24 AM
melbourne-multirotor
Thanks TorqueSP and djmorgan got that one worked out now
Last edited by yak-54; May 29, 2014 at 05:30 AM.
May 29, 2014, 05:38 AM
Hi!
I just installed my variometer, but then got to thinking. Is it ft or meter? And how do I change it?
May 29, 2014, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran
Hi!
I just installed my variometer, but then got to thinking. Is it ft or meter? And how do I change it?
The units are set in the telemetry menu on the TX.

Alt and Vspd are displayed on the TX in whatever units you have selected, Alt is spoken correctly but Vspd is always announced in metres/sec. Log file values are always stored in metres.
May 29, 2014, 09:24 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
New L9R receiver.
Twice the range of the X Series. Should be good for Glider guiders and intermediate range FPV.
http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...product_id=603

I wonder if we need to upgrade FrSky TX Firmware to acheive the new mode to run it? (FrSky Taranis X9D. in LR12 mode)
It won't work in D8 or D16 modes
Won't work with earlier modules.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; May 29, 2014 at 09:35 AM.
May 29, 2014, 09:41 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
New L9R receiver.
Twice the range of the X Series. Should be good for Glider guiders and intermediate range FPV.
http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...product_id=603

I wonder if we need to upgrade FrSky TX Firmware to acheive the new mode to run it? (FrSky Taranis X9D. in LR12 mode)
It won't work in D8 or D16 modes
Won't work with earlier modules.
the description is kind of confusing
"These receivers bind differently to the X series. In addition, there failsafe is last signal by default. Please ensure you set the failsafe the way you prefer. The failsafe cannot be set from your TX."

does that mean it can be changed from default? or it only does the default?
I guess I'll read the manual too..
May 29, 2014, 09:53 AM
Quote:
the description is kind of confusing
"These receivers bind differently to the X series. In addition, there failsafe is last signal by default. Please ensure you set the failsafe the way you prefer. The failsafe cannot be set from your TX."

does that mean it can be changed from default? or it only does the default?
I guess I'll read the manual too..
As I read it, it can be changed from default, but not from the TX like you can with D16 receivers. You simply have to press the FS button on the RX to set failsafe to the current positions, just like with D8 receivers.
May 29, 2014, 10:02 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
so like most other non frsky rx's then, that's not too bad
May 29, 2014, 10:11 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
My guess would be hold the sticks, set flaps, throttle etc and then press the FS button briefly. Looks like the new X4R is capable of 16 channels too. Can't say we don't have much choice nowadays..
Just clicked.. Maybe the new release Taranis etc may have LR12 in the menu.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; May 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM.
May 29, 2014, 10:40 AM
Is it right that Taranis has to be set to 80% for dsm2/spektrum? I have an MCPX BL I am usin and currently it's on 100% in the taranis...
May 29, 2014, 10:43 AM
According to FS:

"Just choose L12 mode when you use L9R"

Cheers
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
My guess would be hold the sticks, set flaps, throttle etc and then press the FS button briefly. Looks like the new X4R is capable of 16 channels too. Can't say we don't have much choice nowadays..
Just clicked.. Maybe the new release Taranis etc may have LR12 in the menu.
May 29, 2014, 10:48 AM
Boltrc (Mark),

Do you happen to have the weight and size dimensions of the new X4R? I sure hope it's significantly smaller than the X6R and X8R. I won't buy the X6R because it's so close in size to the X8R and so close in price, that it wouldn't make sense to buy the extra 2 channels. Niw with the X4R, it's plenty worth it even if it's similar in price to the other X receivers as long as it's small and truly was designed for smaller aircraft with space restriction.
May 29, 2014, 10:49 AM
Yes, I agree.

My only concern when writing the description was that users knew the default for FS was last signal hold position. Did not want anyone getting hurt.

Quote:
so like most other non frsky rx's then, that's not too bad
May 29, 2014, 10:57 AM
No pictures just yet, at least not given to me anyway. So not really sure.

From the very little info I do have, I am expectant of a smaller unit than the X6 and not far off from the design of the D4R

When I get pics, I will post

Cheers
Mark

Quote:
Boltrc (Mark),

Do you happen to have the weight and size dimensions of the new X4R? I sure hope it's significantly smaller than the X6R and X8R. I won't buy the X6R because it's so close in size to the X8R and so close in price, that it wouldn't make sense to buy the extra 2 channels. Niw with the X4R, it's plenty worth it even if it's similar in price to the other X receivers as long as it's small and truly was designed for smaller aircraft with space restriction.
May 29, 2014, 10:59 AM
Okay, thanks Mark. I sure hope they hit the nail on the head with this receiver. If so, I'll be buying a lot of them.
May 29, 2014, 11:01 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltrc
Yes, I agree.

My only concern when writing the description was that users knew the default for FS was last signal hold position. Did not want anyone getting hurt.
that's understandable
May 29, 2014, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archades
Is it right that Taranis has to be set to 80% for dsm2/spektrum? I have an MCPX BL I am usin and currently it's on 100% in the taranis...
100% range on the Taranis is equivalent to about 125% on Hitec so maybe Spektrum too.
May 29, 2014, 11:10 AM
Just had another look at some corro. Looks promising. It looks like it uses the same flat profile for the PWM pins as the D4R . ie. two rows in a horizonal configuration. This is opposed to the vertical configuration of the X6 and X8.

Also, it is 16ch Sbus, so should be ideal for many rotor guys with Pixhawk etc.

Quote:
Okay, thanks Mark. I sure hope they hit the nail on the head with this receiver. If so, I'll be buying a lot of them.
May 29, 2014, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltrc
Just had another look at some corro. Looks promising. It looks like it uses the same flat profile for the PWM pins as the D4R . ie. two rows in a horizonal configuration. This is opposed to the vertical configuration of the X6 and X8.

Also, it is 16ch Sbus, so should be ideal for many rotor guys with Pixhawk etc.
Excellent, I'm loving that. I can think of a lot of aircraft that this receiver would be useful on. Thanks!
May 29, 2014, 12:23 PM
L9R basically looks identical to the X8R, I think it uses the same case. We had some on display at the Toledo show over a year ago.

X4R is about the same size as the existing D4R-II. I'm pushing for another design that will work better in tiny DLG fuselages.

-Wayne
May 29, 2014, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
L9R basically looks identical to the X8R, I think it uses the same case. We had some on display at the Toledo show over a year ago.

X4R is about the same size as the existing D4R-II. I'm pushing for another design that will work better in tiny DLG fuselages.

-Wayne
Awesome Wayne. I could easily be happy with the X4R being the same size as the D4R-II. When do you estimate the X4R's will be stateside?
May 29, 2014, 12:41 PM
FrSky is estimating June or July. So probably July.

-Wayne
May 29, 2014, 12:44 PM
Okay, thanks. Will you have a pre-order for them or just sell them when stock arrives.
May 29, 2014, 12:58 PM
Quote:
FrSky is estimating June or July. So probably July.

-Wayne
Optimist.

Quote:
Okay, thanks. Will you have a pre-order for them or just sell them when stock arrives.
ROTFL I'll bet Wayne would rather be dipped in honey and plunked down on and ant hill than do a pre-order bit again.
May 29, 2014, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Optimist.

ROTFL I'll bet Wayne would rather be dipped in honey and plunked down on and ant hill than do a pre-order bit again.
LOL. I don't blame the dude one bit. Hahaha
May 29, 2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah, what they said.

Will order up enough to meet the initial demand... I think.

-Wayne
May 29, 2014, 03:03 PM
Quote:

-Wayne
I would like to see a more conventional design that would work better for DLG fuses with a dedicated battery input and 4 outputs. It would also be a shame to put those PCB style antennas on such a small receiver.
May 29, 2014, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanks
I would like to see a more conventional design that would work better for DLG fuses with a dedicated battery input and 4 outputs. It would also be a shame to put those PCB style antennas on such a small receiver.
That is basically what I have requested. Normal antennas, don't need the RSSI output, a smaller cross section.

-Wayne
May 29, 2014, 03:56 PM
Has it been confirmed whethet they are releasing the X4R with the PCB antennas or whiskers? I sure as hell hope whiskers or it defeats the purpose of havving the need for a small receiver. I think FrSky is smart enough to realize that....hopefully.
May 29, 2014, 04:17 PM
I think it will come with PCBs installed. It is a feature of the X series. They may well include the whiskers with it though like the X6R.

-Wayne
May 29, 2014, 04:41 PM
OMG!
I'm caught up!
I finally caught up.

Nobody post anything! *takes breath*

I'm a little lost about all this upgrading
I have a un changed version B from January (I think)
Should I update anything besides getting the Amber voice pack. Couldn't get my GF to agree to letting me record her voice. I'm assuming Amber will make her jealous enough to change her mind.

Anyway
I have a new unflown evolution 2.6 glider with the 40amp current sensor and smart port vario.
To which I will also install my fpv gear. (Imrc 600mw, horizon hd cam)
Do I need to change anything to get the most out of my system?
Reliability, proper displays.
Rssi, volts, mah consumed
Height and climb rate are all important to me.

Secondly
How would I go about setting it up, so that when I flip a switch. My left sick goes from controlling throttle/rudder. To operating pan tilt servos..?

Thanks
May 29, 2014, 04:43 PM
Quote:
I think it will come with PCBs installed. It is a feature of the X series. They may well include the whiskers with it though like the X6R.

-Wayne
Damn, haha. At least we may be able to swap them out to the whiskers. That's all good.
May 29, 2014, 04:50 PM
Why are they actually using those PCB monsters anyway? I remember a few people here testing the range of PCB vs. Whiskers antennae and not finding any difference (in fact PCB even seemed even to be a bit worse).
Latest blog entry: Wing Helper 1.3.0 Released!