Apr 11, 2013, 10:14 AM
Ex JR/Spektrum user here.

How important is model match to me? Almost zero.

My turnigy 9x with skyNorth board announce the name of the model when I turn on the tx or select a new model. I have throttle hold on every model. Since I also use dual rates on some and triple rates on other models. The tx also announces how the rates are managed. In rare cases it also gives me special instructions via the sound. Like "use RDR switch to control crow on throttle stick"

With the Taranis, if I understand it, I can also have a 16 bit grey scale image of the plane on the screen.

Belt and suspenders is enough....I don't need to glue my pants on.

But we are all different, YMMV.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2013, 10:53 AM

Model Match

Funny how it works - ex futaba user

I like model match - I can live without it, but I like the layer of redundancy - even if it is to protect me from my own occasional carelessness.

It seems like people value different features in different systems depending on what they do with their hobby.

Appreciate the dialogue and the level of competence I find here.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:02 AM
B12
B12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms

How important is model match to me? Almost zero.
Same here. I have never had it and I do not see why it is mandatory. I ALWAYS do ground check for all controls before launch. Real aeroplane fliers do it also. First part of my check is the model name on transmitter.

I also have two different setups on two model memories for one of my planes. That cannot be done with model memory dependant model match.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
Model match is as useful as a low battery alarm on a transmitter that already shows you your battery voltage. Draw your own conclusion.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Model match is as useful as a low battery alarm on a transmitter that already shows you your battery voltage. Draw your own conclusion.
Good point!

Maybe paying attention to basics is a good idea!
Apr 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12
I ALWAYS do ground check for all controls before launch. Real aeroplane fliers do it also. First part of my check is the model name on transmitter.
I also preach doing a control check before every flight, and I do it myself, but a few months ago I used the wrong memory and attempted to fly. I checked controls and all looked good, but when I threw out I realized very quickly that my ailerons were reversed. Ack! I had done a "quick" check to see that I had movement, but failed to check I had correct movement. I had not flown the plane in months, and trusted I had the correct memory pulled up forgetting that I had copied that memory and modified it for a sister ship I was building. It happens.

Receiver lock is a nice feature that helps make the hobby a little safer. You do not have to use it on the Taranis, but it is there if you would like to.

-Wayne
Apr 11, 2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
I checked controls and all looked good, but when I threw out I realized very quickly that my ailerons were reversed.
You did not do a "control check". I'm not trying to be difficult, but you did 1/2 of a control check at best. And, as you found out, a 1/2 of anything in this hobby is useless.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
Most flyers have ended up with a plane in the air with some controls reversed -

I do a lot of training and have several versions of the same plane that look the same - but are trimmed different - so I find a benefit

It appears that there is no feedback through the module on a TX (signal out only) - so there is no way for model match to work through a module that is added to the taranis. So it appears the RX match will only work with FrSky receivers thru the internal frSky module.

Just so we know what we are getting.
Apr 11, 2013, 11:51 AM
65 years of RC flying
Ailerons are the hard control to get right. It takes at least a moment of thought to verify that they are going the right way, and I've had students at our club flight school who still couldn't figure it out in less than 30 seconds after several weeks of instruction.

I consider ModelMatch a blessing, even though I preach careful pre-flight checks
Apr 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
Ailerons are the hard control to get right. It takes at least a moment of thought to verify that they are going the right way, and I've had students at our club flight school who still couldn't figure it out in less than 30 seconds after several weeks of instruction.

I consider ModelMatch a blessing, even though I preach careful pre-flight checks
It's not that hard. But it's a mind crutch: The control surface should push against the direction of the stick. Works with the elevator and rudder too. Nothing to figure out. It either pushes against the stick or it doesn't.
Apr 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
It's not that hard. But it's a mind crutch: The control surface should push against the direction of the stick. Works with the elevator and rudder too. Nothing to figure out. It either pushes against the stick or it doesn't.
Please explain.

If I move the elevator stick down the Tx (pull back on the stick), the elevator comes up.

With rudder, if I move the rudder stick to the right, the rudder moves to the right.

Or did I miss something...
Apr 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
I have never used model match but have flown at least 3 planes with various controls reversed. I didn't enjoy it, don't recommend it but see model match as a way to catch what is not caught on preflights.

I should point out before I get dumped on, only 1 of these was my plane, all others were people who said "they don't got it" and handed me the transmitter. My mistake was bringing two planes to the field to fly and not checking the direction of throw adequately...

Just as I am a believer in telemetry as a means to improve reliability/safety, I think model matching is good as well.

Scott
PS - no planes crashed, all landed safely, reinforced my training
Last edited by ScottSails; Apr 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Apr 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterpastor
(snip...)
It appears that there is no feedback through the module on a TX (signal out only) - so there is no way for model match to work through a module that is added to the taranis. So it appears the RX match will only work with FrSky receivers thru the internal frSky module.

Just so we know what we are getting.
Don't forget about getting 'model match' from hacking in the DX4/5 module internally.

I'm with Daedalus66 and Scott concerning model match, it's nice to have that safety net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
Is it possible to get 'model match' if just the DSM2/X module is installed (hacked) internally, like it's currently done with the 9x?

With a genuine Spektrum module taken out of a DX4/DX5, yes! You're however limited to 6 channels.
Apr 11, 2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Please explain.

If I move the elevator stick down the Tx (pull back on the stick), the elevator comes up.

With rudder, if I move the rudder stick to the right, the rudder moves to the right.

Or did I miss something...
It helps if the Tx sticks are oriented as they would be as controls in the airplane... that is, held with the sticks pointing up. The control surface moves to meet the direction of the stick. If you can't see the rudder meeting the stick, just leave it out. It is the least critical control anyway in an aileron ship. More than that is too much to explain in this thread because it is OT.

I've never flown with crossed controls in 30 years of flying. It takes 5 seconds.
Apr 11, 2013, 12:34 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
It helps if the Tx sticks are oriented as they would be as controls in the airplane... that is, held with the sticks pointing up. The control surface moves to meet the direction of the stick. If you can't see the rudder meeting the stick, just leave it out. It is the least critical control anyway in an aileron ship. More than that is too much to explain in this thread because it is OT.

I've never flown with crossed controls in 30 years of flying. It takes 5 seconds.
My point was simply that standing behind the model ready for takeoff, elevator and rudder motions are obvious -- really no-brainers. You would have to be really distracted not to see a reversed rudder or elevator if you do any check at all.

But aileron is less obvious, and even people who do a check sometimes get it wrong. Learning a rule like "the control surface meets the stick" or "right aileron up for right turn" can help, of course, but it still takes some effort.

Still trying to understand the rule as it applies to rudder. Are you standing in front of the model?

Quick Reply