Apr 22, 2013, 06:27 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
They do if you force the cover a tad, just like on the 9x.
Thanks! Out of the ~12 or so 9x I modded to er9x/open9x, none of the 18650 get in the way of the "sticky" battery cover.

BTW, there is 17670 cells (17mm x 67mm) too, just much less popular than the number one secondary battery in the world (18650).
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
Thanks! Out of the ~12 or so 9x I modded to er9x/open9x, none of the 18650 get in the way of the "sticky" battery cover.

BTW, there is 17670 cells (17mm x 67mm) too, just much less popular than the number one secondary battery in the world (18650).
How would you charge the LiIon? Assuming you can't charge it with the factory charger leaving them in the TX. I thought NiMH and LiIion had different charging mechanisms.
Apr 22, 2013, 07:07 PM
RC beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--

or you can use aa (14500) lithiums that require no modification to the battery or holder and works for nearly all radios:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1711996

lower cost than any other battery type including nixx and lipo. chargers are about $2 on aliexpress. less than a buck for diy charger if you dont mind wiring the holder yourself.
Apr 22, 2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Folks - I suspect we might have a bit of a wait still.

-Wayne
Take your time. I'd rather have it done right than done sooner.
Apr 22, 2013, 07:58 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Folks - I suspect we might have a bit of a wait still. When I posted this thread I really did think we were very close to putting the radios into consumer's hands. I had sample radios in my hand at the Toledo show and they were all working very well.

At this point I do not have an answer for when they will be available. I would be amazed if we did not have a solid answer for you within a couple of weeks.

Again I am sorry for posting this thread as early as I had. FrSky and the distributors are all very excited by this new radio and it looks like we all were a little premature on our shipping estimates.

-Wayne
Why are you sorry, it has informed a lot of people about the potential for a new product.

Yes, some folks have gotten their panties in a bunch - lets take a collection and send them some antistatic pads

Scott
PS - the last thing I want FrSky to do is put out a product with an appreciable issue - that is good for nobody.

Think of it as a fine wine that doesn't get served before its time...
Last edited by ScottSails; Apr 22, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Apr 22, 2013, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Nope, they are not even required to do FCC or CE but due to the size of those markets a factory would be foolish not to complete them and have their product complied in that regard.

C-tick is an OZ/NZ white elephant and it pertains to the importer, not the manufacturer. If you want to import anything electronic into OZ that runs off the mains, has an lcd screen, transmits on a frequency etc etc then you have to compile all the relevant tests and create a compliance folder for each and every product, and if the ACMA wants to come look at it you better have it ready to show or your screwed.

ACMA will also only accept tests done by recognised labs, most serious players in China will use labs that are certified by the EU and US as being up to the standard required to test.

The reason I do not stock some of the range is exactly what you are asking, "what if they change the specs etc of the product". End of the day is it worth risking litigation or fines just to sell a handful of cheap items when you dont have the correct paperwork to prove they comply?

As for the MAAA, the importer has to supply them with the product so they can field and lab test it and ascertain if it performs well enough to be deemed safe to use. The thing most club members do not understand is, just because MAAA says you can use FrSKY, doesnt mean you are legally covered under the insurance policy!! You have to have, or prove, c-tick compliance, it all comes back to the ACMA and the MAAA is very clever in the wording of MOP58, especially 3.2 and 3.5.
So that would go for anything purchased from overseas?, example, if you got a spektrum Rx from overseas (no C-tick sticker) and the exact same one (exact in every way) from a local hobbyshop with the C-tick on it, MAAA wouldn't cover you for the Overseas Rx but would for the Australia imported Rx? Well that would cut out about 50% of the MAAA members from cover. No wounder people are dropping out of clubs
Apr 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Please let's not divert this thread into yet another MAAA bashing exercise. There's several threads in the appropriate part of the forum if you want to do that.
Apr 22, 2013, 11:14 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurripro
So that would go for anything purchased from overseas?, example, if you got a spektrum Rx from overseas (no C-tick sticker) and the exact same one (exact in every way) from a local hobbyshop with the C-tick on it, MAAA wouldn't cover you for the Overseas Rx but would for the Australia imported Rx? Well that would cut out about 50% of the MAAA members from cover. No wounder people are dropping out of clubs
Regardless what the MAAA authorise brand wise, the onus is on us to prove it complies or buy it with a c-tick sticker already on it. Its nothing to do with bashing the MAAA, they dont make the electrical safety standards, the ACMA does. End of the day we all have to satisfy the insurance company right?? My take on it is insurance companies are not stupid, they are here to make money not give it out like candy. They will look for any hole in a claim, if your non c-ticked charger caught fire and damaged your garage etc, I would not be surprised if the insurance company denied the claim until you could provide a lab test showing it was in compliance.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Apr 23, 2013, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterCrazy
How would you charge the LiIon? Assuming you can't charge it with the factory charger leaving them in the TX. I thought NiMH and LiIion had different charging mechanisms.
There are LiIon's fitted with charging circuit that will be happy with constant current provided by a NiMh charger, and cuts itself when full.
But the charge circuit also serve as a cutoff protection for low voltage, so make first a deep discharge test to find the cutoff voltage and program your radio low voltage alarm carefully to not have surprises at field, it's a complete radio cut-off, not a warn !
Apr 23, 2013, 12:21 AM
christian theme park operator
I gather the Taranis has its momentary toggle on the right, like the 9x, while the top-left switch stays wherever it's flicked. That worries me a bit in case I kill the throttle by accident while trying to stop/start the timer.

Is this layout governed by convention, or do all the various manufacturers follow their own logic?

Can those two switches be easily swapped on the Taranis? Are the leads long enough to do it without soldering?

Ta.
Apr 23, 2013, 01:13 AM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4
I gather the Taranis has its momentary toggle on the right, like the 9x, while the top-left switch stays wherever it's flicked. That worries me a bit in case I kill the throttle by accident while trying to stop/start the timer.

Is this layout governed by convention, or do all the various manufacturers follow their own logic?

Can those two switches be easily swapped on the Taranis? Are the leads long enough to do it without soldering?

Ta.
Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I understand that each model has its convention, which is based upon the target market (i.e. Helicopters vs powered airplanes vs gliders).

The 9x is pretty easy to swap switches around, and my guess is that the taranis can also be moved around should the need arise.

I drilled a hole in the back of my 9X and installed a momentary button and soldered it into another switch. I use it as a switch for DLG launch mode, it works like a charm. If the Taranis has enough room, I will do the same.
Apr 23, 2013, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4

Ta.
While I have not seen the inside of the Taranis yet -- on the 9x I simply put longer wires to the two switches and exchanged their places.
Apr 23, 2013, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
There are LiIon's fitted with charging circuit that will be happy with constant current provided by a NiMh charger, and cuts itself when full.
Usually its meant for over voltage protection, not for regular charging. Cutoff voltage is often 4.30V, maybe safe but not healthy for the cells, especially if left at that level for a long time.
Except for some extra weight, NiMh LSD cells are as good as lithium for these applications, unless there is a need to charge in less than one hour. Which leads to my next question; what is max charge current for the built in circuit?

Fred
Apr 23, 2013, 02:50 AM
0.4A charging current, 0.5A maximum supported by the regulator chip.
So no fast charge even replacing NiMh by Lithiums.
Apr 23, 2013, 03:09 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993
or you can use aa (14500) lithiums that require no modification to the battery or holder and works for nearly all radios:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1711996

lower cost than any other battery type including nixx and lipo. chargers are about $2 on aliexpress. less than a buck for diy charger if you dont mind wiring the holder yourself.
Thanks for your info. I have tested 6 different MFG of 14500 cells, 2 were close to the rated capacity, but after 3 months of cycling the packs the capacity went way down (low quality cells, like the GTL cells I am clearly not a fan of). Sanyo, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are all quality cells that live up to their ratings.

Many times I have 5 plus hours a day of actual air flight time (gota love gliders), of combat slope gliders and 10+ hours in a weekend on a set of Samsung 2400mHa cells in the er9x, I love it. And the Taranis might do better with a more efficient DC-DC converter that will run down to ~5.5 volts (although it might consume more current do to the higher proccessing speed), allowing the full capacity of a 2S Li-Ion pack, unlike the cheap linear 5v regulator in the 9x that requires 1.7V (2.1 volt max) headroom (above the 5v the atmel requires). Waiting pateintly

So in the 100+ pages of this thread, is there a updated compatibility table of Trananis Tx vers all the FrSky Rx's like this (including new Rx's) ?

Any word on the long range equipment,,, higher than 2S voltage required for RF module (trying to plan ahead)?

Quick Reply