Apr 04, 2015, 09:41 AM

Windows 7 + COM1 serial port works!

Hi Everyone!

I followed this website... using old PC COM1 serial port and Windows 7.. and it worked!

http://the.cyclingengineer.co.uk/201...m-serial-port/

I tried using an USB-to-Serial port dongle, but that didn't work for me. It just stops at 2% like everyone else mentioned.

In my case, I used servo extension wires. I removed each wire from the black plastic block holding the wires together then wrapped electrical tape to isolate each wire tip and prevent shorting when i plug them directly to the back of the PC's COM1 port

My setup:
- Windows 7 PC with COM1 serial port
- wired the COM1 port to the D4R-II as per your guide
tx - com port pin 2
rx - com port pin 3
gnd - com port pin 5

- wired the D4R-II power supply using a spare ESC (I removed the signal wire from its servo connector so only the + and - are present in the servo connector)

- my programming steps:
- DO NOT plug in the LiPo battery to the ESC yet.
- right click on the frsky_update_rev11.exe, select "run as administrator"
- selected the COM1 port, or whatever is your PC's physical COM port
- click on FILE, point to the d4rII_cppm27_build120926.frk file
- plug the LiPo battery to the ESC to power up the D4R-II
- the upgrade app will then show the UID codes
- click on the DOWNLOAD button. wait till it finishes and says 100%
- click END button.
- unplug the LiPo battery powering the ESC
- unplug all the wires from the D4R-II
- DONE

I've put up a wiring diagram and pictures of my setup for everyone's reference.

I hope this helps the community

EDIT:
- I found a female DB-9 connector and soldered the individual servo ends to it. NOTE that it is the mirror opposite of the male port so just line them up and you will know which is which on the female side.
- This should make it even more plug-and-play next time i have to update a D4R-II
- attached the new pix, complete with my DIY box kit
Last edited by flycrashfly; Apr 09, 2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: formatting
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2015, 12:42 PM
Are you a big thanks to you I was able to complete the upgrade. I would like to make my contribution of information: The converter FTDI bought by the Chinese is not valid because the drivers do not work on this device, and therefore the program (FT_PROG) to reverse the Rx and Tx does not do its job and then the procedure does not go to fruition. This method is rather OK.
Thanks
May 17, 2015, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joop1987
Anyone successfully upgrade the X8R? The S.port software sees my com port fine, but it never finds my receiver. I even tried using diode shown in the diagram for the TX signal and still nothing.

Update: I finally got the X8R to upgrade through the S.port software by using Windows XP. I had to use the diode on the TX as shown in the upgrade PDF. It would not work for me in Win 7 or Win 8.
hi Joop, could you tell me how you made it to work, i have a x8r receiver too and needs a EU update.. please help me make a cable
Jun 29, 2015, 08:06 PM
WannaBeLikeJoshTheSlowJet
I just did it to my old D8R-II plus , i had to select the file before i connect the RX to the serial port of my PC and then add power to the RX, if i try to open the program with the RX already plugged into the PC it did not work.

Tested with my Naze32 and ppm works superb !

Thanks for the howto.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:59 PM
Not my experience, flashed tons of D8Rs, in any order, but glad it worked for you !
One thing is sure, if no power to receiver, then no UID, and flashing don't start.
Aug 28, 2015, 02:30 AM

What an simple but excelent tutorial!

I'm amazed how this procedure did work so well! I just have to test it now! tons of thanks man!

updating: and it works like a charm!
Last edited by dagob; Mar 29, 2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: updating information
Aug 28, 2015, 10:11 AM
I just want to thank the excellent tutorial to update the receiver. With only three cables, and in two minutes it's done.
I never thought my old computer would still be as useful, lol
Thanks specially to GtiDonavan and Renatoa!!!
Sep 20, 2015, 03:41 AM
Mhhh...Hi everybody,

I've got a rather stupid question,
but after reading through dozens of "firmware-flash-guides", an watching a couple of videos about this issue, one question remqains to me:

Does the D4R give any sign of life, once set into programming mode?
Normal/CPPM-mode does have a LED...but my receiver dark, when I jumper the signal pins of channel 1 and 2...
So I don't know, if the problem exists at my FTDI-adapter, or the receiver...

thanks for a short answer.
Yours Imp
Sep 25, 2015, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperativ
Mhhh...Hi everybody,

I've got a rather stupid question,
but after reading through dozens of "firmware-flash-guides", an watching a couple of videos about this issue, one question remqains to me:

Does the D4R give any sign of life, once set into programming mode?
Normal/CPPM-mode does have a LED...but my receiver dark, when I jumper the signal pins of channel 1 and 2...
So I don't know, if the problem exists at my FTDI-adapter, or the receiver...

thanks for a short answer.
Yours Imp
The D4R does not give any "sign of life" when set into program mode, no lights, but if you follow the procedure correctly the upgrade program will show the UID code for your Rx, so you know you're on the right path...
Oct 31, 2015, 07:55 AM
From Norway
Hi, just want to inform that I successfully updated this driver after having issues with hanging the update process at 2%.

I'm using a prolific usb to serial adapter, tried installing drivers etc on Windows 10 but I didnt get passed 2% in the download/update.

So I installed Virtualbox, and created a virtual Windows XP machine, let virtualbox give that USB to the Windows XP, and I installed the drivers manually, just search "prolific usb to serial windows xp driver"

Long live WinXP !
Nov 02, 2015, 09:22 AM

WinXP did it for me

Hi, just to corroborate with oleost: I was having the same issue, getting stuck at 2% on Windows 10. I'm using a prolific USB-RS232 adapter, and once I ran it inside a XP VM the update went all the way.

Cheers
Nov 20, 2015, 08:48 PM
perfect!
Thank you !
Dec 10, 2015, 06:58 PM
Thank you, Marked page.
Feb 13, 2016, 11:32 AM
I like Ice Cream
Hey Guys,

Do you know if I can use this
http://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-CP2102...-p-970993.html

I can't seem to connect it with the receiver at all. Those numbers won't show up.
Feb 23, 2016, 05:36 AM
No, it's a TTL serial, you need RS232 serial.
One of these, whatever suits you better as connectivity:
http://www.banggood.com/search/rs232-usb.html

Quick Reply