Apr 04, 2013, 03:03 PM
Mini-HowTo

Simple FrSKY Receiver Flash How To with COM Port

This is a short simple tutorial to flash your d8R-IIPLUS FrSky Receiver For CPPM 27ms

I've had a couple of requests for this.
There are so many conflicting answers found in hundred page long threads so, Here is how I figured out to do mine directly from a PC's serial port.

Bridge Signal Pins 7 and 8 to enter programming mode
Name: d8rIIPLUSProgMode.jpg
Views: 1077
Size: 94.0 KB
Description:

Name: FRSKYUpdate.jpg
Views: 5909
Size: 179.5 KB
Description:

Connect as above, easy using a female to female servo lead with the one ground pin removed from the servo plug.

There are different firmwares available, possibly new ones since I did mine.
I used this version (d8rxp_cppm 27_build120926) The D8RXP Firmware works on the D8R-2PLUS Receiver

Run The FRSky Update tool
Choose the correct COM Port
Click the File button to load the firmware.frk file

Name: xpsoft.png
Views: 1003
Size: 6.9 KB
Description:

Name: xpsoft2.png
Views: 846
Size: 19.2 KB
Description:

Then apply power to the Receiver to a servo connector where you would normally with a BEC or battery. I just use my old school 4 cell NiCad for this stuff.

Some numbers will show at the bottom of the window, that indicates you have a connection to the RX. Then Click Download. Your RX should Update

Remove the Jumper on Pins 7 and 8

Yes I also could hardly believe how simple the solution is.
I hope this clarifies the confusion
Last edited by GTiDonavan; May 13, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2013, 03:16 PM
This is the Jumper position for the above firmware which enables CPPM out on channel 1 and RSSI on channel 2

Bridge Signal Pins 3 and 4

Name: frskyjumper.jpg
Views: 567
Size: 83.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by GTiDonavan; Apr 04, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Apr 05, 2013, 12:54 AM
Thank you, added to Frsky mega-index.
Apr 12, 2013, 11:38 AM
Before you start the process, the signal pins of channel 7 and 8 need to be linked.
This puts the RX into Bootloader Programming Mode.
Then proceed as described above.
Apr 12, 2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks. Completely forgot that. Ill add it in
Jun 25, 2013, 01:28 PM
Thank you.
This thread helped me alot!
Oct 30, 2013, 03:59 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDonavan
This is a short simple tutorial to flash your d8R-IIPLUS FrSky Receiver For CPPM 27ms

There are so many conflicting answers found in hundred page long threads so, Here is how I figured out to do mine directly from a PC's serial port.

Attachment 5775523

Attachment 5672024

Connect as above, easy using a female to female servo lead with the one ground pin removed from the servo plug.

I used this version (d8rxp_cppm 27_build120926) The D8RXP Firmware works on the D8R-2PLUS Receiver

Attachment 5672025

Attachment 5672026

Then apply power to the Receiver to a servo connector where you would normally with a BEC or battery. I just use my old school 4 cell NiCad for this stuff.

Some numbers will show at the bottom of the window, that indicates you have a connection to the RX. Then Click Download. Your RX should Update

Will this work on the D4R-II?

What is maximum voltage on the RS-232 Tx/Rx can be applied to the Rx pins ?(there is many RS-232 voltages, EG +/- 3.3v, 5v, 9v, 12v).

I read some where (DIYdrones) the signals need to be inverted, is this true for the D8R-II plus and or the D4R-II?

TIA
Nov 01, 2013, 05:56 AM
How would I tell if the CPPM signal was ok as I've completed the firmware update, the receiver needed rebinding so I assuming it went ok, it reported as ok in the application. I'm using a FrSky D8R 2.

Afterwards I took the jumper out and then plugged in a servo into each channel and it worked as before. I was expecting channel 8 to be the CPPM output and so not drive a servo or at least not drive a servo in a controlled way from the transmitter but I can assign a switch on the transmitter to channel 8 and control it in the same way as before.

Thanks,
Tim.
Nov 01, 2013, 09:39 AM
There are two CPPM firmwares, the older, without RSSI and output CPPM on ch8, and the new, as in D8RXP, which outputs CPPM/RSSI on ch1/2 and let unchanged channels 5-8.
The later is known to address also the short 18ms frame issue, and named 27ms CPPM.
Nov 01, 2013, 05:06 PM
The XP firmware is recomended. Is this what you flashed? Then did you use the jumper on pins 3 and 4 as above to enable cppm on channel 1.
This jumper remains in place when in use as a switch. So you dont need to reflash when you want to use servos directly again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner303
How would I tell if the CPPM signal was ok as I've completed the firmware update, the receiver needed rebinding so I assuming it went ok, it reported as ok in the application. I'm using a FrSky D8R 2.

Afterwards I took the jumper out and then plugged in a servo into each channel and it worked as before. I was expecting channel 8 to be the CPPM output and so not drive a servo or at least not drive a servo in a controlled way from the transmitter but I can assign a switch on the transmitter to channel 8 and control it in the same way as before.

Thanks,
Tim.
Dec 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
To upgrade the firmware of my D8R-II plus Rx, I see on the FrSky site two firmwares available:

-One for the XP version that dates from 2012
-A more recent one for the D8R-II plus dated 2013-06-05:
Firmware for D8R-II/D8R-II plus

Compatiblity : D8R-II plus / D8R-II(discontinued) /
UpdateTime : 2013-06-05
File Size : 4.96MB
MD5 : 49065291A4DDA3734C7560BEF9993672
Total downloads : 1089

Which of these two firmwares is best ? (I want CPPM of course but also the posibility to keep my 8 channels separately in PWM if needed)

Is this most recent D8R-II firmware still using a 18ms frame in CPPM ? (or is it corrected?)
Jan 16, 2014, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have tried this method with a serial to USB adapter?

I don't have any pc with serial ports anymore
Jan 22, 2014, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDonavan

Attachment 5775523

Attachment 5672024

Attachment 5672025

Attachment 5672026

Thanks a lot for such simple procedure. As I'm planning to follow these steps just one thing is that I can't understand, which is:
"Connect as above, easy using a female to female servo lead with the one ground pin removed from the servo plug."
But in the diagram there are 3 cables going from COM to Frsky. Can you please highlight where this ground pin has to be removed? Thanks.
Jan 22, 2014, 12:22 PM
Anyone successfully upgrade the X8R? The S.port software sees my com port fine, but it never finds my receiver. I even tried using diode shown in the diagram for the TX signal and still nothing.

Update: I finally got the X8R to upgrade through the S.port software by using Windows XP. I had to use the diode on the TX as shown in the upgrade PDF. It would not work for me in Win 7 or Win 8.
Last edited by joop1987; Jan 24, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Feb 09, 2014, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joop1987
Anyone successfully upgrade the X8R? The S.port software sees my com port fine, but it never finds my receiver. I even tried using diode shown in the diagram for the TX signal and still nothing.

Update: I finally got the X8R to upgrade through the S.port software by using Windows XP. I had to use the diode on the TX as shown in the upgrade PDF. It would not work for me in Win 7 or Win 8.
Can someone please point me in the direction of the documentation on how to flash x8r with a com port.

Thanks,

Dave