May 10, 2013, 06:36 AM
Nex (and GH2, which is wider) ready.
360 KISSS philosophy Gimbal with GH2 and 20 1,7 on board:

UPcamera.com - brushless gimbal for Panasonic gh2 (2 min 49 sec)

and the very same gimbal but this time with the Nex5 and 18-55 on board (and a bit more specifications details):

360 brushless gimbal test (2 min 56 sec)

No footage has been stabilized in post production, and the stabilizer of the 18-55 was switched off (actually the results are better with sss OFF than ON...)
Hope you enjoy
C
Last edited by soaringclauz; May 10, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2013, 06:49 AM
So what would be the best for a frame like TBS DISCO or QAV500?
May 11, 2013, 11:29 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
This really simple DIY build works well for my TBS Disco:

- 1x$5.00 strip of aluminum from Home Depot cut into to short strips and bent into an "L"
- 2x$25 iPower brushless gimbal motors (pre-wound)
- 1x$130 (apprx) AlexMos controller from ARM BGC or CSG or Viacopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandos
So what would be the best for a frame like TBS DISCO or QAV500?
Buckingham Fountain - TBS Discovery Quad (1 min 49 sec)
May 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
What are you using for vibration isolation or is it hard mounted?
May 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
Well for the gimbal mount to the TBS frame actually yoga mats are awesome material and for $30US mat you basically have a life time supply So I put a square strip of yoga foam, balsa and double-sided mounting tape under and over the top deck of the Disco and ran bolts through to sandwich it onto the upper deck with a standard RC motor mount as the last layer on top. I did the best I could to keep the bolts from touching the actual deck (hole diameter greater than bolt) to limit transfer of vibration through bolts. Then on the gimbal camera platform there is another strip of yoga foam that the GoPro sits loosely on and then the velcro strap itself has yoga foam lining the inside that touches the GoPro itself. AND then the Graupner E-Props help tremendously! I was using even more pricey Tiger Motor CF Props and they generated lots of vibration ironically for being touted as premium props, so I switched back to the E-Props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab
What are you using for vibration isolation or is it hard mounted?
May 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
Adam, that video of the fountain is very nice. How do you get permission to do that or do you just wing it and nobody stopped you?
May 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
What a lot of good info .. subbed
May 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago
Well for the gimbal mount to the TBS frame actually yoga mats are awesome material and for $30US mat you basically have a life time supply So I put a square strip of yoga foam, balsa and double-sided mounting tape under and over the top deck of the Disco and ran bolts through to sandwich it onto the upper deck with a standard RC motor mount as the last layer on top. I did the best I could to keep the bolts from touching the actual deck (hole diameter greater than bolt) to limit transfer of vibration through bolts. Then on the gimbal camera platform there is another strip of yoga foam that the GoPro sits loosely on and then the velcro strap itself has yoga foam lining the inside that touches the GoPro itself. AND then the Graupner E-Props help tremendously! I was using even more pricey Tiger Motor CF Props and they generated lots of vibration ironically for being touted as premium props, so I switched back to the E-Props.
Any video filmed during the day? Any jello ?
May 11, 2013, 11:38 PM
"Wing it" There weren't any police around and if there were to this point I've never had any problems with flying RC and the police in the city of Chicago...the suburbs are another story ironically. And this is a small electric parkflyer class copter which was flown when few people were around at night, not flown over or near persons or personal property and is NOT for commercial purposes. There is no difference between doing this and someone taking camcorder footage of the fountain on vacation and posting it...which there are currently hundreds of clips online

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold
Adam, that video of the fountain is very nice. How do you get permission to do that or do you just wing it and nobody stopped you?
Last edited by AdamChicago; May 12, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
May 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
just a tinseebit of jello in daylight only in the distance here and there depending on conditions. So I am adding more foam to the mount, under the bolt washers and around the camera and should be good to go by next weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoloflyer
Any video filmed during the day? Any jello ?
May 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
My latest creation. Should have vids next week.

Cheers,
Andy

May 13, 2013, 08:28 AM
AMA 869451 / FAA 13675
Andy,

Your latest creation looks great, so tell us a little more about it. I like that your gimbal is sized for the
NEX or GH2 and it looks like a GoPro could also be used. Was that your plan? If so, I like it!
Last edited by Papajeff; May 13, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
May 13, 2013, 08:58 AM
wac
wac
pls dlt
Last edited by wac; May 13, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
May 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff
Andy,

Your latest creation looks great, so tell us a little more about it. I like that your gimbal is sized for the
NEX or GH2 and it looks like a GoPro could also be used. Was that your plan? If so, I like it!
Thanks! The mounting plate on this one is specifically designed for a Sony NEX5 with a kit 18-55 lens. Other mounting plates can be designed if needed.

It is waterjet cut. I had great results with this technique when built my custom Microstar2000 single stick transmitters in 2010/2011 and decided to go this route again for the camera gimbal.

http://andysrecroomrc.blogspot.ca/20...or-summer.html

http://mstar2k.com/index.php?option=...ures&Itemid=53

I built one as opposed to buying one because the Cinestar knockoffs are not vertically adjutable and some of the nicer ones are a bit too expensive and not available yet.

If there turns out to be any interest in this design, once thoroughly tested, I might do a small run of them,

Cheers,
Andy
Last edited by jazzboy; May 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
May 13, 2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago
"Wing it" There weren't any police around and if there were to this point I've never had any problems with flying RC and the police in the city of Chicago...the suburbs are another story ironically. And this is a small electric parkflyer class copter which was flown when few people were around at night, not flown over or near persons or personal property and is NOT for commercial purposes. There is no difference between doing this and someone taking camcorder footage of the fountain on vacation and posting it...which there are currently hundreds of clips online
I am not talking about the usage of it - personal or commercial. Simply about the reaction of police to you flying anything in that location.
I doubt if I could get away with that here in Washington DC at any parks or landmarks.