SlowBoat foamy seaplane with plans & video - Page 5 - RC Groups
Apr 28, 2013, 08:15 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
Well....I flew mine yesterday...brief flight to trim it out...flew well...a lot of wing flex though....I wanted some video so I brought it in..setup my camera...and tried again...it got hung up in some grass and when I gunned it the whole top of my cabin ripped off with the motor and flew off..punching a hole in my wing in the process! :-O. Serves me right for putting a power system with about 30oz's of thrust on this lol! I'm gonna fix it and reinforce the hell out of it...but at least for the 2 minutes it flew it flew well...and I do have video of it blowing apart lol. And this was with major reinforcements to the area around the motor...so...thinking I need to build it out of metal this time
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
here is the video of the mount and motor and part of the canopy exploding...lol

SloBoat Motor Mount FAIL (0 min 53 sec)
Apr 28, 2013, 12:47 PM
I've been flying the SlowBoat for a week or so now, mostly off grass, but it is still such a dream to fly!

I bought a different camera and changed the camera mount. Added some foam backing to try to reduce the jitter, but still not satisfied with the video I am getting.

Wish I had a Hero 3 to put on it!

Blew the hatch off Friday while flying over land. Never did find it, so cut out another and this time I added 1/64th ply sheeting to overlap the hatch area and put magnets and a pin in the hatch to prevent it from coming off in flight next time.

I also have 1/64 ply sheeting on the bottom of the fuse. With all of the landings made on our runway, it was beginning to show wear, so I mixed up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and thinned it with alcohol and painted a thin layer of epoxy on both the hatch and the fuse.

I decided it was time to add a bit of spice to the looks now that I have welcomed it into my fleet (wish I had not crunched the nose on the second flight), and added the "Slow Boat" graphics to the ailerons.

Now that my EagleTree stabilizer is setup correctly, flying the slow boat is effortless in wind and landings are straight down the middle of the runway, gliding gently to a stop at my feet.

My original crash was caused by my not having the stabilizer setup properly and accidently engaging it during a maiden flight. I could kick myself over and over for that! Now I have scars on what would otherwise been a perfect build!

I've attached some photos of the additions.
Apr 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
Dan,

Impressive video of your plane coming apart! I'm not sure it can all be blamed on your 30oz static thrust--my slower motor/bigger prop still gives 25oz. You're turning higher RPM so maybe vibration played a part. Or...any chance the prop flexed into the rear of the cabin BEFORE the motor came off? How much clearance did you have there?

Scott
Apr 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
Crazy Foamie Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott swanson
Dan,

Impressive video of your plane coming apart! I'm not sure it can all be blamed on your 30oz static thrust--my slower motor/bigger prop still gives 25oz. You're turning higher RPM so maybe vibration played a part. Or...any chance the prop flexed into the rear of the cabin BEFORE the motor came off? How much clearance did you have there?

Scott
no way the prop could flex that much..it is a 7x5 APC and it is a good 2+ inches away from the back of the canopy...i think i didn't reinforce it enough down the walls of the back part...no worries..it's already fixed and back together...with all the pieces in hand from the "explosion" lol..i pieced it back together..glued the living hell out of it..added braces on the inside..then 2 pieces of sheet foam on either side and sandwiched them together..then i added ply up top and a 1/4 by 1/2 inch stick to the back of those now 4 sandwiched sheets..and again hot glued the snot out of it...my final step will be some strapping tape around the back side of the structure..it is built like a tank now lol to combat the flex i saw in the wings i used BBQ skewers along the leading edge of both wings..glued them on and then taped over with strapping tape..then added more tape on the bottom..they still flex but not as much now...gotta see what else i can do...but for now it is ready for another flight. 3 days of rain ahead will keep me from a re-try for a while...but it will be flown again...

fun times!
Apr 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
couple of pics of my rebuild....it's built like a tank now..even more than before! may not be the prettiest plane anymore..but if this comes apart i give up! lol!
Apr 29, 2013, 10:02 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
What a gracefull bird. Added to the build que!
Apr 29, 2013, 10:53 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Saw this at SEFF 2013 as was really impressed...good looking and great flying!
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Apr 30, 2013, 08:31 AM
Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Looks great Scott, thanks for sharing. Another plane to the build queue...

Aus.
Apr 30, 2013, 01:53 PM
Isaiah 40:31

Slow Boat Bipe?

I'm not trying to muck about with this plane...I think it's fantastic...now I have to add another one to the build cue!

But is it just me or is there a Walrus lurking about in this design?

I should be building instead of dreaming.

Here's what 30 minutes me time results.

rc
Last edited by rc capo; Apr 30, 2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Lousy at proof reading.
Apr 30, 2013, 02:43 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
RC,

I like your Walrus modification of the SlowBoat. Let us know if you build it.

I have come across the Supermarine Walrus before. It appears to have no compound curves and so would lend itself well to building a reasonable scale model from foam. It's a WWII British observation seaplane, was aerobatic, and was designed by R. J. Mitchell of Spitfire fame. The only thing is the pilot had to be careful to drain the bilges before aerobatic flight or he could get a face full of seawater!

Scott
Apr 30, 2013, 04:11 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott swanson
RC,

It's a WWII British observation seaplane, was aerobatic, and was designed by R. J. Mitchell of Spitfire fame. The only thing is the pilot had to be careful to drain the bilges before aerobatic flight or he could get a face full of seawater!

Scott
I didn't know the original a/c was aerobatic! Nor the rule about emptying the bilges prior to stunts, yikes!

rc
Last edited by rc capo; Apr 30, 2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Again, a lousy proof reader!
May 01, 2013, 02:49 PM

One of my favorite scratchbilt foamies!!

Hey Everyone,

I've been flying my "Boat" for a week or two now, I'm really loving this plane!!! Sure flys wonderfully, build it to plan, build it light and you will have a great experience. I just wanted to give Scott another at-a-boy for his neat design, and plane.

Bill
May 01, 2013, 04:55 PM
Crazy Foamie Builder
i'm hoping for a "re-maiden" tomorrow with mine...
May 02, 2013, 04:09 PM
Crazy Foamie Builder
sooo.....my re-maiden went a bit worse than my motor explosion....3 minutes of flight..all good till i did a lazy loop..at the bottom one of the wings snapped off! lol! and better yet i have it all on video...won't be able to post it till later tonight or tomorrow night...but um...yeah.....