SlowBoat foamy seaplane with plans & video - Page 3 - RC Groups
Apr 18, 2013, 11:11 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
Bill,

I have no differential.

Scott
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2013, 06:58 AM
Bill, I do not have differential either, but you will probably want some expotential dialed in and dual rates given the size of the ailerons. All those things are really pilot preferential to give the plane characteristics that make it comfortable for you.

The control surfaces on this plane make it suitable for a wide range of flying skills and from the few test flights I have flown, I have not observed any negative properties. There is hardly any tendency to stall and it does not try to pull to left with power like a lot of planes I have flown.
Apr 19, 2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the info on your aileron differential guys. I will tone down the throws the first flights until I get a feel for the plane.

Here is a pic of my current progress:

Fanfold board, EMP 2822-1200kv motor, will weigh about 16-17 oz auw.

Bill
Apr 20, 2013, 10:22 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Hi everyone, I have finished my slowboat and are hoping it wont be to windy to try it tomorrow, I took a few photos to share ,cheers everyone Scott.
Apr 20, 2013, 02:33 PM
Hi Scott,

Your "Boat" looks fine, what will your total weight be when you fly?

I'm looking forward to flying mine also, looks like a fun plane from the videos that have been posted here.

Bill
Apr 21, 2013, 01:39 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge
Hi Scott,

Your "Boat" looks fine, what will your total weight be when you fly?

I'm looking forward to flying mine also, looks like a fun plane from the videos that have been posted here.

Bill
It came in at 575 gm. with battery ,im running a towerpro 2408 21t motor with a 3s 800ma battery and a 9x5 prop , cheers Scott

slowboat (1 min 50 sec)

Managed to get a video at the lake with the kids filming
Last edited by scottyvisco; Apr 21, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Apr 21, 2013, 08:39 AM
Good thing the "Boat" is a pusher prop, or there would be duck feathers all over the lake...

HEHE.

Looks like another sucessful build.

Bill
Apr 22, 2013, 08:17 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
just a quick note..when you print out the tiled plans the measurements fall a bit short of the suggested ones...the wings are supposed to be 19.5 and even expanding the print field to max they come out at 18 1/2.....the middeck is a bit short.....and a few other differecnes...nothing major at all....i added a spacer between the 2 wings and made my own dehedral plate of sorts to space it out....had some flat wood sheets to cut as stringer/strengtheners....all good....going to do my own install of the tial servo's..not going to hide them inside..mine will not see water more than once...so not a worry for me to have them mounted so the control horns are outside the body of the plane. And will mount the servos for the ailerons on top of the wing and be a direct drvie. Will it look clean? not really but i prefer being able to manually adjust the horns and linkages without hatches and stuff....i'm hoping ot finish mine up this week..and maybe a quick maiden this weekend. Really like the design..and looking forward to flying this plane a bunch!

pic attached of where i stopped last night.

Dan
Apr 22, 2013, 06:47 PM

Maiden today!!

Hello all,

I got to maiden my "Boat" today. No wet feet tho, tried the plane out in my local cow pasture. It was a bit breezy so I spent a lot of time holding the plane up against the breeze. Flys fine, I need to play with props and see if I can get a bit more thrust out of my configuration. My Auw is 17 oz. and I got 5 minute flights out of my two 1300 mah batteries. I did'nt do anything fancy on the first flight, but I did do some rolls and loops on the 2nd battery, nicely aerobatic. I will move the battery back a tad on my next flights and see how that goes. Going to use some Minwax polycrylic to seal up the fuselage/hull along the seams. Next nice very calm flying chance we will hit the surf

Great design Scott!!!

Not the best video, but here is the maiden:

slowboat maiden (5 min 11 sec)
Apr 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
very cool! i'm gonna overpower mine by a ton..throw a 2826 2200kv motor on mine and a 7x5 probably....not looking for speed..but looking for plenty of power for short takeoff's and some snappy manuvers.....may work well..may result in a pile of burned wreckage lol
Apr 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

SlowBoat Water Maiden

Finally got the opportunity to fly off water today. The sun was not in a good position for doing the approach I would like to have done, so I limited my test to just a couple of landings on water.

SlowBoat Maiden Water Flight (3 min 16 sec)

Note: the timestamp on the camera is not correct. I have not been able to figure out how to change it.

I used an MD80 gumstick camera mounted on a popsicle stick attached to the motor mount.
Apr 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
Way to go Larry, neat water take-offs and landings. Nice park to fly at.

My Slowboat is ready for the water, just need some calm winds. I've flown it 4 times now in 10-15 mph winds, fun but a bit scary and you can't do any low and slow stuff.

Here is a pic of my finished boat. I added some split bamboo skewer struts to the wings. My wings had quite of bit of flex to them and I was afraid they might bend up and fold or break on me.

I'm really looking forward to some nice calm air to fly in, it's sure to be a lot of fun.

Bill
Apr 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
Nice graphics Bill! I have a graphtec vinyl cutter. I should do something with it too.
Apr 24, 2013, 08:12 PM
Guys,

These are some great videos. I am glad to see the activity on this design.

Scott, you have some stupid ducks. The ducks on my lake leave at a high rate of speed when they see one of my planes.

Bill, are your flight times still only 5 minutes? I fly for 15 minutes and still have a 5 minute reserve so I don't have to paddle out to fetch the plane. Admittedly I only use full throttle for brief bursts.

Flash, the POV camera seems to work great with the prop out of the field of view. Would mounting the camera separate from the motor reduce vibration?

Keep 'em coming,
Scott
Apr 24, 2013, 08:32 PM
Attached is a full size one sheet pdf of sheet 3 of the plans (the cut pattern page). It will print as 34" by 52". (The tiled version in post #27 doesn't have enough margin for all printers.) Be aware this is still untried--I built my plane from the dimensions on the drawing.

Dan, thanks for your PM help on this.

Edit 10/4/13:
See Post #197 for an issue with this .pdf. Printing the sheet 3 from the plans in Post #1 at 500% is a better option.

Scott
Last edited by scott swanson; Oct 04, 2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added ref to post #1